Second Weddings
Options

Registering?

Just wondering if any of you are registering.  This is a second marriage for both of us so we basically have everything we need and are encouraging people not to give us gifts.  Is this the norm?

Re: Registering?

• Options

Think of it this way, some people will give a gift no matter what.  They are happy for you and want to bestow a token of their happiness upon you.   You are not particularly easy to buy for, as you have two well established households.  A registry points them to spend their money on something you actually want, need and can use. 

Do you have a hobby, a shared activity, or a type of entertainment you enjoy?  Register for equipment or gift cards.  Is there something you want to be new for this marriage (we did all new bedding)?  Register for it.  Make it fun.  ~Donna

• Options
    If it had been up to me, I would have skipped it.  I'm a little overly careful about not stepping on anyone's toes all the time though.  After asking a few people I gave in and we did register.  It's FI's first wedding and, even though we don't necessarily need anything, we managed to find enough things at a traditional location to make it worth while.  We also registered at REI for a few camping things.
  • Options
    I was asked by a few people, but thought it odd since I was essentially eloping and did not have any guests. So, I ended up creating a registry for the "just in case" gifts. When we got married, my DH and I had lived together for 6 years and my DH has been a home owner since 1989, but you know what? I came up with a ton of things that we could get. I didn't get everything, so now I just put those items on my Christmas list. 

• Options
    We registered, our respective exes took or kept basically everything.  We literally were starting over, although months before we were engaged we did buy some housewares because we really needed them. 

We didn't get everything we registered for but we did get all of our drink/bar ware which was a nice surprise. 

I would suggest that you register, even if it's just to upgrade items you already have. 
  • Options
    And some places offer a 10% completion discount on any registry items you don't get.
  • Options
    klbrengleklbrengle member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2013
    It's a good idea to register because some people prefer to give physical gifts.
  • Options
    Recently married and it was a 2nd wedding for both of us. We were faced with having 2 of everything already and no room to store a 3rd of each household item.
    We chose not to register. 
    If people asked we told them since it was a second wedding we are not registering bc etiquette says it is improper. If you would like to give us a present we will appreciate whatever you choose.
    **You will find varying stances on this etiquette wise, but I am known for traditional etiquette with my friends & family. In the end I think it is up to you***
    Most people still gave us a gift as they wanted to celebrate the happy occasion. About 75% of the gifts we received where monetary, 20% gift cards and 5% random wrapped gift.
    I did not have any showers as I felt I had them the first time and that would look like gift grabbing - IMHO :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    If people asked we told them since it was a second wedding we are not registering bc etiquette says it is improper. If you would like to give us a present we will appreciate whatever you choose.
    **You will find varying stances on this etiquette wise, but I am known for traditional etiquette with my friends & family. In the end I think it is up to you***

Which etiquette resource are you using that is traditional?  Neither Emily Post nor Miss Manners share your opinion, and they are two very traditional etiquette gurus. 
  • Options
    Thank you Right1, because I didn't think my DH and I were breaking etiquette when we registered.   No offense to photokitty but her post made me wonder if we had done something very egregious.

Whew I feel better now.  
  • Options
    As I said -  **You will find varying stances on this etiquette wise, but I am known for traditional etiquette with my friends & family. In the end I think it is up to you***
    I was not saying it was in poor taste to register and it is personal decision. 

If I had the time I would research it again, but I did my research months ago and came to my own conclusions. 

I in no way am suggesting anyone is breaking etiquette by deciding to register and did not mean to insult anyone - if I did I'm sorry. I was merely offering up how I dealt with it my personal situation.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards