Not Engaged Yet
Options

Hello and Bridal Magazine readers study

Hi my name's Kait! I've been on TK for a little while because my sister's wedding is at the end of this month on Aug. 31 (I'm a bridesmaid.) But also because I recently graduated college, got a job at a bridal magazine and also reporting on town courts and schools and have a great SO! Him and I have been on/off for the last 2.5 years while we figured out distance during college. But now we've both graduated, figured things out (Yay!) and talking about moving in together! I posted the full bio under Get to Know You.

My question is actually something I've seen come up recently a bunch regarding the readers of bridal magazines. Someone asked a magazine why they had ads for engagement rings in their issues. The answer was about a study how more 20something females that are not engaged or may not even have an SO actually read bridal magazines more than the brides! Do you guys think this could be true? Were you buying bridal magazines for fun before you got engaged?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Hello and Bridal Magazine readers study

• Options
    Yes I think it's true. Most women around wedding season get a bit of wedding fever. It doesn't seem to matter whether they have a stable SO or not, so I can see this happening.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    No bridal magazines for me.. I felt they were a waste of money.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Kait said:
    Hi my name's Kait! I've been on TK for a little while because my sister's wedding is at the end of this month on Aug. 31 (I'm a bridesmaid.) But also because I recently graduated college, got a job at a bridal magazine and also reporting on town courts and schools and have a great SO! Him and I have been on/off for the last 2.5 years while we figured out distance during college. But now we've both graduated, figured things out (Yay!) and talking about moving in together! I posted the full bio under Get to Know You.

My question is actually something I've seen come up recently a bunch regarding the readers of bridal magazines. Someone asked a magazine why they had ads for engagement rings in their issues. The answer was about a study how more 20something females that are not engaged or may not even have an SO actually read bridal magazines more than the brides! Do you guys think this could be true? Were you buying bridal magazines for fun before you got engaged?

Um, so I'm a little confused as to why you're here. I feel like there's a shit-ton of "fluff" before getting to the question at hand for your research for your job. And if the only reason you're here is to ask NEYers if we buy bridal magazines before getting engaged, you're going to get some negative answers. Here I'll show you:

I'm not engaged, I'm 33 and I don't buy bridal magazines. They're a waste of money (to me) and are full of ads to sell shit to people that just have to have it since it's their day and if they don't have monogramed toilet paper THEY WILL JUST DIE!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    Kait said:

Um, so I'm a little confused as to why you're here. I feel like there's a shit-ton of "fluff" before getting to the question at hand for your research for your job. And if the only reason you're here is to ask NEYers if we buy bridal magazines before getting engaged, you're going to get some negative answers. Here I'll show you:

I'm not engaged, I'm 33 and I don't buy bridal magazines. They're a waste of money (to me) and are full of ads to sell shit to people that just have to have it since it's their day and if they don't have monogramed toilet paper THEY WILL JUST DIE!

I'm actually not on here exclusively for my job. I enjoy weddings (hence my job) but I am currently enjoying life with my SO. Him and I are talking about possible plans to move in as our next step. I'm not pre-planning or anything else. Bridal is just a passion and I find it fun. That's the reason I'm here.

• Options
    I didn't buy them when I was single, I didn't buy them when I was dating and I bought one since getting engaged and I wish I had my $6 back. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Kait said:

I'm actually not on here exclusively for my job. I enjoy weddings (hence my job) but I am currently enjoying life with my SO. Him and I are talking about possible plans to move in as our next step. I'm not pre-planning or anything else. Bridal is just a passion and I find it fun. That's the reason I'm here.

So if you're not here exclusively for your job, then why is one of your very first posts research for your job?

It's one thing to be like "oh hey, I'm new, introducing myself, I work for a bridal magazine" and then maybe down the road ask work-related research questions.

It's another to do what you did.

And as you can see, people don't buy bridal mags.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    Kait said:
    Kait said:

I'm actually not on here exclusively for my job. I enjoy weddings (hence my job) but I am currently enjoying life with my SO. Him and I are talking about possible plans to move in as our next step. I'm not pre-planning or anything else. Bridal is just a passion and I find it fun. That's the reason I'm here.
    *He and I
  • Options

I didn't buy any when I was NEY, because I was NEY and not planning a wedding.  I bought one bridal magazine a few days after I got engaged.  It was mostly fluff and advertisements.  I did however find my wedding venue in it, it was listed in the profile of some local wedding and I loved it.  

Anniversary

• Options
    Why on earth would I buy a bridal magazine? I'm not engaged. Bloody waste of time and money, probably even after I do get engaged, because there's this wonderful invention called the internet that can tell me everything I need to know. Bonus: it's free!
  • Options
    I'm not engaged and I don't buy bridal magazines. But I really doubt I'll buy them once I get engaged either.

But based on the number of BSC girls we get on here who are hell bent on pre-planning their weddings I wouldn't be surprised if its true that more girls who are waiting on the ring buy wedding magazines than actual brides-to-be.

@buddysmom80 - I don't think she is doing research for her job, I think she's saying she read something about a study on bridal magazines and was just asking our opinions on what she read.

• Options

Yeah but @bethsmiles, doesn't it seem a little fishy though? I mean, if she was up-front and honest and one of her first posts wasn't about "well I work in bridal and a magazine survey stated..." I wouldn't be as skeptical.

Also I'm a little sad we haven't had much BSC here in a while :( 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    I never bought a bridal magazine until I got engaged.  I wasn't planning a wedding then so why bother was my thinking.
  • Options

Yeah but @bethsmiles, doesn't it seem a little fishy though? I mean, if she was up-front and honest and one of her first posts wasn't about "well I work in bridal and a magazine survey stated..." I wouldn't be as skeptical.

Also I'm a little sad we haven't had much BSC here in a while :( 

Fair point :)

• Options
    I'm recently engaged.  I have never bought a bridal magazine.  I've always thought they were fun to look at at hair and nail salons, but wouldn't spend the money on them.  Now that I'm engaged, my mom asked me if I bought a bunch of magazines.  I told her no.  The info in them is finite, whereas the info on the internet is infinite (and FREE).  Why would I bother?  I think bridal mags will be put out of business eventually by Pinterest and Style Me Pretty, etc.
  • Options
    I'm not engaged and I don't buy bridal magazines. But I really doubt I'll buy them once I get engaged either.

But based on the number of BSC girls we get on here who are hell bent on pre-planning their weddings I wouldn't be surprised if its true that more girls who are waiting on the ring buy wedding magazines than actual brides-to-be.

@buddysmom80 - I don't think she is doing research for her job, I think she's saying she read something about a study on bridal magazines and was just asking our opinions on what she read.
    Actually, it is this. Thanks @bethsmiles. I really didn't know me bringing up the two in one post would cause people to think I'm insane or just doing this for my job.

• Options
    Kait said:

Actually, it is this. Thanks @bethsmiles. I really didn't know me bringing up the two in one post would cause people to think I'm insane or just doing this for my job.

Because it has happened before...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    Between the ages of 5-9 my mom would buy me a bridal magazine at the checkout counter every time I went grocery shopping with her because I just loved all of the pretty pictures so much. :)  Now I'm too cheap to buy them on my own until I am engaged. :)
  • Options
    Kait said:

Because it has happened before...
    Can I just have a fair shot? I really wasn't trying to be weird. I'm sorry if it came off wrong.

• Options
    Welcome, @Kait! How do you like your potatoes? What's your favorite book(s)/author(s)? Tell me something interesting/weird about yourself.
  • Options
    Welcome, @Kait! How do you like your potatoes? What's your favorite book(s)/author(s)? Tell me something interesting/weird about yourself.
    I love my potatoes mashed. There's just something about a gravy volcano! (Yes I can be a child lol). Favorite book would have to be Pride and Prejudice, but author is a tie between Jane Austen and Tamora Pierce. Something weird is that I love watching My Little Pony.

• Options
    I know there are a lot of Tamora Pierce fans here! What was the best vacation you ever went on?
  • Options
    I know there are a lot of Tamora Pierce fans here! What was the best vacation you ever went on?
    That's really tough. I have to say, even though I've been to Disney and all, I'm going to go with when my family traveled New Hampshire. We started at the top and worked our way down. Found some of the coolest, small places ever and I really remember the vacation vividly even though I was young.

• Options
    I bought wedding mags when I was engaged. I purchased exactly zero before that, though. 

Welcome to NEY, @Kait

• Options
    Swazzle said:
    I bought wedding mags when I was engaged. I purchased exactly zero before that, though. 

Welcome to NEY, @Kait
    Thanks! @Swazzle, I love your wedding pic! It's so pretty. :)

• Options
  • Options
    Welcome, @Kait.
  • Options
    I have bought bridal mags before, but for my newly engaged close friends in my circle. I tend to give a small basket with a couple bridal mags, champagne and a cigar for the fiance. Theeen, I look at all of the pretty pictures with my newly engaged friend. Everyone wins.
  • Options
    I'm married and have never purchased a bridal magazine. I did browse through a couple at the library after I was engaged, but that was about ten minutes before I decided I wasn't going to waste that amount of money on the expensive stuff they put in the magazines.
  • Options
    I'm not engaged: long term boyfriend and I have discussed marriage pretty thoroughly recently, and it's possible we'll get engaged in 2014/2015. I have never bought one for myself.

I have bought them for my sister, who is three years younger.  I think she mainly likes the spectacle of ceremony/receptions sites, because she also buys party-planning /entertaining books that are mostly images. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards