Registry and Gift Forum

Writing thank you notes for gifts that came from the wrong registry

The giver looked up my FH's name and proceeded to not check the rest of the information (like my name, the city and the state), and therefore she chose the wrong registry and since no one wanted to tell her she screwed up we had a bunch of stuff that had to go back (I also have to figure out a way to get it back on the other bride's registry but that's another bitch session). Any suggestions on how to word the thank you note for this epic fail? Every way that I put onto paper screams "Hey your gifts suck but I can't tell you that."

Re: Writing thank you notes for gifts that came from the wrong registry

• The giver looked up my FH's name and proceeded to not check the rest of the information (like my name, the city and the state), and therefore she chose the wrong registry and since no one wanted to tell her she screwed up we had a bunch of stuff that had to go back (I also have to figure out a way to get it back on the other bride's registry but that's another bitch session). Any suggestions on how to word the thank you note for this epic fail? Every way that I put onto paper screams "Hey your gifts suck but I can't tell you that."
    That stinks big time that she bought off someone else's registry. Just say thank you for the lovely so and so they gave you and call it good.

If you are close to the giver I can see telling them, but if they never come over and will never know then just leave it.

If it was one of my girlfriends or his friends and they ever asked, I might say it wasn't on our registry.

What stuff did you get?
  • The giver looked up my FH's name and proceeded to not check the rest of the information (like my name, the city and the state), and therefore she chose the wrong registry and since no one wanted to tell her she screwed up we had a bunch of stuff that had to go back (I also have to figure out a way to get it back on the other bride's registry but that's another bitch session). Any suggestions on how to word the thank you note for this epic fail? Every way that I put onto paper screams "Hey your gifts suck but I can't tell you that."
    It is unfortunate that your guest made an error in purchasing your gifts, but here's a news flash:  They weren't obligated to get you anything at all!  Be appreciative of their generosity, and thank them from that perspective.  
  • Holy crap you're unappreciative! Who cares that they got you the wrong stuff...we ALL get stuff purchased from places other than our registry! You can return the stuff and get a store credit to buy your own registry items.  Properly thank her and start being thankful for the generosity of those in your life!
  • It was nice of you to go through the trouble of getting it marked as unpurchased from the other registry (although I think some stores do this anyway when you return).  However, you are not entitled to get gifts only from your registry.  Plenty of guests don't stick to your registry.  No one should have told her that she "screwed up."  Write her a nice TY note, and say you enjoyed seeing her (or look forward to seeing her) at the wedding. Also, sounds like she's your FH's friend, so why doesn't he write the TY note?
  • @NavyWife777 I want to know what you got, too! How bad were the items?

You have to be gracious, even though you won't be using the items. We got many items that were "off registry" that we ended up returning. It happens.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the x, y, and z. It was great seeing you at the wedding

and catching up about a, b, and c. We appreciate your thoughtfulness and

generosity as we start our lives together.

Love,

NavyWife

• She really is a very nice lady and I don't think her gifts suck, but every time I try to write her thank you note that's what it SOUNDS like because of the fact that we can't use them and so I can't write a note that says "We will think of you every time we use it" or "It will look great in our so and so room" like a lot of the sample thank you cards have been saying. I just want an appropriate wording for gifts that we had to take back. My FH is currently stationed in another state so he isn't able to do much of anything really. @itzMS thanks for your example. That will work nicely!

As for what she got us, she got a bunch of kitchen utensil stuff, a small microwave, a coffee pot, canisters, and a toaster. Since it didn't come from our registry, its all the wrong color. Most of it came from Target, who does not the capability in the store to return the items to the proper registry. I have to call a 1-800 number and work with them to get it straightened out. I feel really bad for the other bride right now because she's probably thinking she has all this coming and then the next time she looks at her registry its all going to be back on it. Her wedding is a month earlier than mine too so I hope someone will buy the things for her.

Do you guys have any advice for if the giver mentions her gifts at the wedding? One of the things that she was gushing about was how cute it is that all of our stuff is red and that the wedding color is red so our decor and wedding match. Well our wedding colors are navy, blue, silver, gold and hunter green so I'm pretty she will be confused when she sees that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards