Texas-Houston

i don't want to invite children but.....

i understand that my wedding date is set to be on halloween. is it ok ask them to not bring there kids on that day?

i don't want to be rude but the place i'm having it at is 75 guest max and we both have a pretty big family.

Re: i don't want to invite children but.....

• It's not rude to not invite the kids, but if you have a lot of friends with kids I would expect a higher number of declines.
  • I didn't invite any kids and it turned out perfect! It's not rude, especially if you give them time to get a babysitter!
  • seeing as its two years away and we are sending out save the dates a year and a half before the wedding they should be able to find one :D

any suggestion on the card when i send them out to let them know that its an adult only wedding? 
  • DaniG13DaniG13 member
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2013

@jordancorrine2015 - We're getting married 11/30, the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and our headcount is 85.   We spread our no kids decision several ways.

1.) Word of Mouth - early in our engagement we spoke to our immediate family and got them on board.  My mom and his mom mentioned it to extended family in casual conversation about the wedding.

2.) Verbal - Then as we called to confirm address for our Save the Dates or saw them in person we verbally informed each guests that we've decided to not invite children due to our venue size.  This was important to me because I felt like anyone we decided to invite to our wedding deserved to hear from us.  We only had a few people who felt like it might be an issue and we're glad we gave them 6 month's notice.  Most of our guests, especially the women, were excited to have a night off!

3.) Wedding Website - We posted information about the ceremony, reception and included an additional note that said Adults Only Reception.

I read several places that its not proper etiquette to list "no children on invites' but I think it's up to the bride&groom.

I hope this helps!  Congratulations to you :)

• DaniG13 said:

@jordancorrine2015 - We're getting married 11/30, the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and our headcount is 85.   We spread our no kids decision several ways.

1.) Word of Mouth - early in our engagement we spoke to our immediate family and got them on board.  My mom and his mom mentioned it to extended family in casual conversation about the wedding.

2.) Verbal - Then as we called to confirm address for our Save the Dates or saw them in person we verbally informed each guests that we've decided to not invite children due to our venue size.  This was important to me because I felt like anyone we decided to invite to our wedding deserved to hear from us.  We only had a few people who felt like it might be an issue and we're glad we gave them 6 month's notice.  Most of our guests, especially the women, were excited to have a night off!

3.) Wedding Website - We posted information about the ceremony, reception and included an additional note that said Adults Only Reception.

I read several places that its not proper etiquette to list "no children on invites' but I think it's up to the bride&groom.

I hope this helps!  Congratulations to you :)

She put it perfectly! I did and put the same thing on my invites! :)

• We didn't invite kids - we got married Sept 2011. 
    On the RSVP cards (for a couple as example) we entered; 2 seats have been reserved in your honor and then accept/decline was provided below it. That way there was no confusion if they could bring extras, including children. We had no problem with that actually, it was adults only wedding.
    TTC Jan 2011, me: 30, DH 32. Unexplained IF. Aug 2012- Bravelle/Ovidrel, IUI 08/21, IUI 08/22= BFN. Feb 2013: Bravelle/Ovidrel, IUI 02/20, IUI 02/21= BFN.
  • Be prepared that people will be upset. No matter that it's your choice, your event, and not intended as an insult, someone will get upset. That being said there are tasteful and elegant ways to not invite kids that are more polite than just writing on your invite, no kids. I addressed the inner envelope to exactly the people who were invited by first name. People were able to recognize kids weren't invited. Only a couple of people chose not to come because of the kid situation and only one had the gall to complain about it. It's one of those things where you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Just remember, it's your day and you get to plan it however you want. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards