Chit Chat

XP: Secret Mods?

A friend of mine received the following message from TK: 

"We removed moderators a few months back and have come to the realization that we need help! Our mistake, and we’re owning that!

That’s where you come in, if you accept. We’ve handpicked you for the opportunity to secretly moderate our forums as we continue to improve the community. 

Why secretly? Well, not everyone loves moderators, so we’re giving you the opportunity to enforce the rules and keep things cool while still being a “regular” user. There’s no moderation badge this time to show off to other members or assigned boards at the moment. But we will reward your efforts (who likes gift cards?!).

The role details are still being worked on, but we wanted to tap you and see if you’d be interested in moderating."

Really TK? What the hell is the point of having SECRET mods? AND bribing them? 

Re: XP: Secret Mods?

• Every board I've ever been on had mods. It's a way of life. There's no reason they should be secret.

Keeping them secret is going to spread poison, as people will suspect everyone else of tattling and there will be no accountability.
  • So sad I didn't get an invite.  (Secretly throwing you all off the trail!!)  ;)

• Well I guess I'm not good enough anymore cuz I didn't get it.  But I think it's really fucked up and sneaky of TK to have secret mods.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This comes as no surprise to me.  I have felt for several weeks now that "new posters" have been created for the sole purpose of testing responses of both new and long time posters.  What I don't understand is the secrecy behind it.  Well, actually I do...I am sure the KG's don't want to incur wrath for what I assume is a blatant disregard of some of the former mods.  

However, if a mod is meant to help with board glitches, prevent spamming, or monitor threads gone wild, how is a poster supposed to know who to page, and when?  Or is this meant to be some new chain of tattling command?  Will the secret agent mod monitor her domain and if she doesn't like what she sees,  bring it to the attention of one of the KG"s?

And how will these secret agent mods be paid?  Will they get paid per banning?  Per hand slap?  Removing mods was clearly the least of their mistakes.

• HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    I think it's hilarious that they actually thought they were going to get away with this and no one was going to called them on it.

@knotporscha, @knotjackie We're waiting for an explanation.

• arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013

I don't think people are against mods. We are against keeping things secret and not explaining things. I think mods are essential to keep a message board flowing, I just wish they would stop doing these kind of shady things. We would have figured out there are mods, so why keep it a secret?

• Will work for Chipotle burritos.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ditto @mobkaz   I'll bet some of us could guess who the 'secret mods' are. 

• I think it's hilarious that they actually thought they were going to get away with this and no one was going to called them on it.

@knotporscha, @knotjackie We're waiting for an explanation.
    I doubt they'll explain, but maybe if we just continuously tag them we'll get them to at least respond

Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • @NYCBruin you know they'll just get rid of the flag system because we're "abusing" it.

• @NYCBruin you know they'll just get rid of the flag system because we're "abusing" it.
    Haha.  Maybe.  But then we could just flood their inbox with PMs.  Not really my style, as I'm a proponent of transparency, but I could make an exception.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • I wonder if I'll get the banhammer for outing them. 

• I don't understand why it's secret. Moderating community boards is hard work full of potential for misunderstanding, and transparency is essential. For example, with Offbeat Bride, they always alert you if they moderate or move your post and you can ask why or explain yourself if you'd like.
  • ditto @mobkaz   I'll bet some of us could guess who the 'secret mods' are. 
    I'll never tell.....
  • @KnotPorscha @KnotJackie

Just to add my voice to the chorus ... Transparency is VITAL in the chain o' command. All you're doing is destroying whatever goodwill might be left.
  • Hi Everyone!

We are slowly starting to contact individuals to moderate boards in an anonymous role for the opportunity for members to report spam/abuse without having the responsibility to cater to specific boards.  We're still going through our lists of people to moderate and are completely open to volunteer submissions too.

The overall goal is to have a role where if moderator sees something that violates TOS (spam especially) while on any board, they can immediately place it into our moderation queue (like we've had in the past). We're keeping the roles secret so that they won't be attacked on the boards for reporting posts. All reported posts will still be reviewed by the TK team as well as any moderators that abuse the privilege.

At the moment, we are still working on responsibilities and finalizing the reporting system. Since this process hasn't been completed yet, we decided not to share any information on the boards until everything has been finalized.

• Hi Everyone!

We are slowly starting to contact individuals to moderate boards in an anonymous role for the opportunity for members to report spam/abuse without having the responsibility to cater to specific boards.  We're still going through our lists of people to moderate and are completely open to volunteer submissions too.

The overall goal is to have a role where if moderator sees something that violates TOS (spam especially) while on any board, they can immediately place it into our moderation queue (like we've had in the past). We're keeping the roles secret so that they won't be attacked on the boards for reporting posts. All reported posts will still be reviewed by the TK team as well as any moderators that abuse the privilege.

At the moment, we are still working on responsibilities and finalizing the reporting system. Since this process hasn't been completed yet, we decided not to share any information on the boards until everything has been finalized.

I don't understand why they have to be secret. We're a bunch of adults.

Also bribing isn't cool.

So if you're only purpose of a mod is to get rid of spam why do they have to be secret?

Not the smartest ideas here.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • How could we volunteer if we didn't know you were reinstating mods?
  • edited August 2013
    Um, hate to break it to you, @KnotPorscha, but ... Individual members already have that role. If you see spam or abuse, you can already report to an admin. Awesome!

ETA: "mod" now = "admin". And I know what indefinite articles are.

I wanna be on the super secret mod squad @KnotPorscha
  • "Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead..".according to PLL obviously. I just imagine that more than two would never work. Also open communication is imperative in installing understanding and lack of bullying so good job closing that door too.

@swazzle I love you even if you get the banhammer.

I still volunteer as long as i don't get the knot gift cards. I have no need for those. Oh and you have to send the gift cards to my email. I'm not giving TK my home address. I get enough junk mail.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Should we start a thread: "Guess the secret mod" ?
  • Oh for fuck's sake, really, KGs, really? This is ridiculous.
  • Yeah, people don't like authority, this isn't new. But just as people slow down when they pass a cop, they think twice about being out of line in a thread where a mod is present. People who can't take the abuse that comes with being a mod, shouldn't wear the badge.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards