Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Password protect our website?

Hi everyone, 

What is the consensus/etiquette around password protecting your wedding website? On the one hand I don't want to broadcast the details for anyone with an internet connection, but on the other hand I worry about it seeming pretentious, etc to think I'm that big a deal :D 

Would love people's thoughts...

Re: Password protect our website?

• Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Is there someone in particular who you're trying to hide your details from? (ie - a jealous ex? an uncle you're keeping from the wedding?)  Unless that's the case, I would totally eye roll someone doing this.  Nobody is that big of a deal...  And if that's the case, don't have a wedding website.
  • Options
    I wouldnt worry about it. Just dont post it on your fb wall or give the web address to anybody you dont want to have it & you should be fine. Setting up a password and informing everybody of the password is useless.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We pw protected our site.  We did not have that many details on it (no stories about us, etc.), but we did not want all of our wedding details publicly available.  I would suggest making the pw something cute--a unique hometown (what we did in our case), the city where the wedding will be, etc.  Print it wherever you print the website name so guests will have it easily. 
  • Options
    One couple I knew had really common names. It made sense for them to password protect because they bought a domain name that was just their first names (i.e. janeandjoe). Otherwise, I don't really think it's a big deal unless you're trying to keep someone from finding out. 
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    If you choose to have a website, it is best to not password protect it.

Let's say a year from now on the way to your wedding, a guest is needing to know some last minute information, and they have the web address for your site in their browsing history...but not the little card that has the password on it. They're SOL.

A wedding website is ultimately for the convenience of guests, not for you.
  • Options
    *shrug*

I password protected ours because I'm the only person on google with my name and I don't like being that exposed.  I don't want, like, a future employer who googles me to be able to see it, you know?  Most of our guests seemed to do just fine with the website despite the password.  They only really used it for registry information anyway.
  • Options
    We password protected ours.  I didn't like the idea of it being searchable and available to every one in the world.  The password is the names of our two cats, so it should be easy to remember.  Plus the website we used to host it lets you save the password after you enter it the first time, so if guests do that they won't have to remember it or put it in again.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We password protected a specific page on our website. Our "Rehearsal" page has names, and some of our guests work in high-level government jobs, such as a Federal judge and a DA.  They did not want any potential drama in the wedding, or their life, resulting from public knowledge of their whereabouts or their family details.  -  They were concerned about people such as convicted criminals.  If people think we're "all that" that's their problem.  I'd rather people feel safe and comfortable that we know and love vs. people judging us who I doubt I'll ever meet. 

As an aside, I've also heard of cases where burgulars case out families who are known to be away from home at a wedding, or case out the home of engaged couples because they know there's likely to be a pile of valuable gifts.  Another reason we password protected the page that related to our last name/s.
  • Options
    I password protected mine as the groom has a very unique last name.

I also work in human services and didn't want my business out there for every consumer to see.

Do what feels right to you. Its not about be pretentious. The internet is the information super highway and you have to protect yourself......even basic wedding information.
  • Options
    I password protected ours because we solely used it for RSVP and I only wanted people to RSVP who were invited :) ultimately it is your decision as it is YOUR wedding :):)
  • Options
    I thought about it too because I do have some people we are not including. we opted to put the website info on the save the date cards so that only the guest we were inviting got the info. I also watch what I post on fb. Hoping all of that elimitaes the need for a password. fingers crossed.
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Password protect our website?:
    [QUOTE]I thought about it too because I do have some people we are not including. we opted to put the website info on the save the date cards so that only the guest we were inviting got the info. I also watch what I post on fb. Hoping all of that elimitaes the need for a password. fingers crossed.
    Posted by hheartsc22[/QUOTE]

We password protected ours as well, and included an easy to remember password as well as the website address on our save the date. I also agree it has nothing to do with being pretentious and everything to do with not opening yourself up to potential safety issues.  For the same reasons I don't broadcast on social network sites when I'll be traveling, out of town, FI is out of town, etc., I cannot imagine putting all our wedding details out there, including the implication that we'll be out of town on a honeymoon afterward, for any crazy with an internet connection to find. It may seem overly cautious, but you just don't know who is out there and how the info could be used. 
  • Options
    I password protected our website because we used our home address to send gifts.  These websites reveal a lot of info such as first and last names and I just did not want that being public with where we reside.
  • Options
    We too have an issue sharing all of our information with the greater public and want to password protect our site.  BUT the sections we are password protecting are not populating, plus I am not seeing a place to input a password.  Am I missing something?  How does the password worl?  Please help.
  • Options
    Hey if you are logged in maybe that's why it's not working. I think you have to select whether or not to protect it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards