Not Engaged Yet
Options

So the topic of moving in came up

CLoGreenEyesCLoGreenEyes member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited September 2013 in Not Engaged Yet
BF and I were talking last night about our goal of buying a house next summer. Yay!

However, his grandfather has some health issues that may affect our plans. Over the past couple years, he has become a little confused and has had some falls/little accidents. Right now he can still clean and dress himself, walk, and cook simple meals, but these incidents have picked up speed and severity. BF moved in with him to keep everything running smoothly. His parents live next door and help BF keep up the house and property (his grandfather owns a small farm); however, BF is the one who handles the day-to-day stuff. Right now that is mostly medications, cooking dinner, some simple wound care (this was after the latest fall), and generally making sure he is safe. As his grandfather becomes more dependent, BF would be the one to pick up those responsibilities. So him moving out would majorly shake things up for everybody.

Now, BF's relatives usually live well into their 90's, so he could conceivably be taking care of him for a while. His grandfather wants to stay in his home, BF and his family are making every effort to allow him to, and I completely support that. However, BF and I do not want to put off our future together indefinitely, so we are discussing the possibility of me moving there after I graduate. It has been a dream of his to buy the property after his grandfather passes (I completely support this also), so this would also prevent him getting tied up with another house and then losing out on his dream home.

So, BF asked me to think about some things that would help me feel like it was my home and that I would need to feel comfortable there if we went this route. Here's what I have so far:
  • Obviously making sure his grandfather and parents are happy with this arrangement (they actually invited me to move in last year before I started school, so probably this part will still be OK - but just to be sure).
  • Making sure we have a space of our own, and that I have my own space; doesn't have to be huge, but just a little something.
  • Along with that, establishing clear guidelines for what I can and can't do with that space. I like colors, I like art, I like decorations. BF's family loves white walls and simplicity. So negotiating some boundaries with that that everyone can live with.
  • Allowing time for BF and me to be a couple - his family, especially his parents, are pretty good about staying with his grandfather if BF spends a night at my house, or if we go on vacation or BF is on a business trip, so this would probably be fine.
  • Figure out how it would affect our family planning. Staying with his grandfather might run into the point where we want to start a family, although this probably will not go on that long...=/ It is his home and it's not my right to basically force a new housemate on him like that, but again, this is another piece of my life that I don't want to delay indefinitely.
FWIW, BF and I have quickly run through the above points, and it sounds like most of it would be easily worked out. We have a year to mull it over while I'm in school, so that's good. My gut reaction tells me this would be a great arrangement, and I feel like I could be very helpful to his grandfather if he does end up needing more care at home (I have experience in geriatrics and hospice, and once I am nurse that is just more knowledge he has at his disposal, if he wants it). So my question to you all is, what else would you add to that list? What else should I consider about this option?

ETA: per usual, thanks for reading allllllll the words; I know I wrote a lot of them. :)

Re: So the topic of moving in came up

• Options
    always go with your gut feeling, im sure everything will work out great =)
  • Options
    My main concerns would be two things:

First, how long to do you have to pacify his parents with every decision regarding the house? Of course I understand that while his grandfather is still alive you don't want to redecorate in a way he hates but are his parents still going to have a say after grandpa passes and the house is yours and BF's? I wouldn't be okay with that. I would need to know that eventually the space would be mine and BF's to with as we please without needing to worry about what parents think.

Second, although this arrangement allows you to move forward by moving in together it seems that it has the potential to indefinitely put other plans on hold. I'm a planner and honestly it's not something I could deal with very well.

Personally, I would feel rather trapped and boxed in by the whole situation. It just seems like SO much has to be a group decision - which I could deal with for a prescribed period of time but not indefinitely. But that could be a personal difference between the two of us more than an actual issue you need to consider. I'm extremely independent and don't like having to confer with others when I make decisions (sometimes a strength, sometimes a fault) so what you described would be a very difficult living situation for me.

• Options
    Beth is wise and I pretty much agree with all that she has said. 

I don't think I would be comfortable with this arrangement. I wouldn't feel "at home" in someone else's house in that sort of situation and I don't think I'd enjoy having to share the space with someone when my BF and I are moving in together for the first time. 

Could the family hire a nurse to take care of him if your BF did decide to move out? Could you rent instead of buy until your BF has the option to purchase his grandfather's house?

• Options
    You're being incredibly selfless, which I admire - because like PP I would find this an incredibly tough arrangement. I can't really comment fairly because my family firmly believes that, at a certain point, assisted living/nursing home arrangements are fine. (Hey, we pick good homes.) Having seen how my BF's step-grandma was treated in her final months when she lived at home only reinforced this.

I'd be most concerned about how many of the decisions about the living space would be group decisions vs. BF and you getting to make them. Otherwise, any expectations on money, which I didn't see mentioned, should be sorted out. Will you pay rent? How much? How are utilities being covered? etc.
  • Options
    @bethsmiles, definitely redecorating would be a thing. If BF and I do buy the house, we have 100% agreed that we want to do plenty of remodeling and updating. I get the impression that his parents wouldn't care about that, but if they did, I know that BF is in my corner on it and would have no qualms about dealing with the issue.

My concern with that is more about the items in the house. They are a family that loves to hang onto every single thing anybody in the family ever used. The house has quite a few items laying around that are kept solely for their sentimental value. This is foreign to me as someone who throws out everything. Not so much while his grandfather is still alive but afterward, BF and I would have to find a way to disperse those items to the people who want them. (I think this has always been a goal, but there has never been any urgency, so...there it sits.) But yeah, that would definitely drive me nuts, so he and I will discuss that next time.

@swazzle, I am pretty sure BF is allergic to renting, so that's out. He really hates the idea of it, as anything we could afford to rent would just not jive with his lifestyle. He is a very outdoors, loves-to-mow-the-grass-and-mess-with-the-yard, loves-to-fix-his-own-house kind of person, and renting for an indefinite period would be very uncomfortable for him. As for hiring a nurse, I know they are not opposed to *some* outside help as long as it's affordable - I will ask him about that.

@keptinstitches, I agree with you on that, there are plenty of good facilities out there. BF's grandfather would just be miserable in one, no matter how good it was. He is very much a homebody and pretty much the only things that give him joy anymore are walking around and seeing his little farm. =/ The money thing is definitely a good point and one I hadn't thought to bring up yet, so it will go on the list.

Thanks all! This is not quite how I'd pictured newlywed life, but I think it could actually work out with some careful provisions. I know BF would close the door on this idea if I truly wasn't happy with it, and he kept saying the other night that he knew what I'd be giving up to do this. I am very confident that he is looking out for me in this too, so I want to give it due consideration.
  • Options

First of all, I think what you and your BF are doing is very noble.  Having cared for my grandmother myself for 7+ years was very difficult but I don't regret the decision (and the limitations on life that it brought).  I'll be honest, though, I wasn't with my H at the time.  During my dad's illness (about 1 year and a half) I took over Friday-Sunday for my sister caring for him (because I had to travel to get home and couldn't get off work during the week).  I was with H obviously then and it did put a strain on our relationship but mostly because we were seperated the only time we had "time off" so I don't think (and would hope) your relationship would be as strained in that regard.

I think if you are going to enter into this situation and you and your BF would agree to be the primary caretaker, you should have a clear understanding with his family that the house would be yours once grandfather eventually, unfortunately, passes (even if you are agreeing to purchase it). I'm not saying your BF's family would go back on their word...I don't know them...but death has a funny way of ended up more about an argument over "who gets what" sometimes even with the nicest people.  People get emotional and sentimental about things and tend to focus/fight on the nitty gritty rather than the bigger loss they are facing. 

Caretakers are not cheap and it isn't fair for BF's family to expect that you guys would care for grandfather for free.  I'd establish something in writting with them.  I think doing some research into what a caretaker would cost vs. assisted living would cost would be a good starting point to establishing what you are providing money-wise (and, of course, if you are living there rent-free that should be deducted from what you are providing).

• Options
    Awesome thoughts, @minskat30. Thank you for your perspective. We definitely would all have to sit down, agree, and record all of the points you mentioned. You're right, however unlikely it may seem, sticky situations can arise from illness and death in the family. The last thing I want to do is create more issues out of what has started as an attempt to help.
  • Options
    lennonkdclennonkdc member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited August 2013
    I'll chime in and say that if its BF's dream to buy the house when his grandfather passes, that he needs to discuss that with his parents and his aunts/uncles. If grandpa has a Will, your BF should know who the house is to be left to and start talking with that person now. If Grandpa has no Will, most states have probate laws that would give the house (and the rest of his estate) to his children in equal parts. I don't know how sound of mind his grandpa still is and if he can make or change his Will, but these issues need to be addressed ASAP.

If everyone, including grandpa, is ok with BF buying the home, I would see if Grandpa would  either a) sell it now so BF's right to the house is solidified  (Other plus is that the $ form the sale of the house can be saved to pay for GP's care); b) change his will so that it goes to BF on the condition that BF cares for him in the house until his death; c) make an agreement IN WRITING with the family that you and BF are going to live there and care for GP in exchange for the right to buy the house from them. 

The death of a loved one can bring out the worst in even the most close knit families, and I hate to see you and BF left out in the cold. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Adding to lennon, I would have any written agreement notarized.
  • Options
    Amapola14, please don't forget to consider what happens if/when BF's grandfather requires more professional medical care. If he wants to stay at home through the end of his life, then knowing what options are out there for in-home care, hospice, etc., and knowing when it's appropriate to make use of those resources is very important. I assume your BF is not a medical professional, and I also assume he is not currently required to do personal/hygienic type care. That may become necessary sooner than you think, so that should be discussed in depth. 

My grandfather declined quite quickly, so these issues should be addressed right away IMO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @lennonkdc, good call. I am pretty sure the house is currently left to BF's dad and his sisters. BF has talked about buying out their share so everybody kind of wins, but I don't think he has ever brought it up with them.

@desertsun, those are definitely things I have discussed with BF. I have worked as a CNA in inpatient hospice for a couple years now, so I do have experience with end-of-life care and definitely agree how important it is to know when it is needed. I know a few people on our team who do private duty, so if Grandfather ever needed more assistance with personal care we could find someone, and we have plenty of contact with other teams/groups that do home care.
  • Options
    @Amapola14, my apologies! I wasn't aware of your background and maybe I overlooked it above? Regardless, just thought it best to mention. I'm glad it's been discussed and you have contacts to help with that when the time comes!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards