Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Outdoor Reception Help

My wedding is September 2014, I live in Washington State and my reception is going to be held outside on my mom's farm (which is lovely).

The reception tent is going to be set up in my mom's field where her horses currently are. There is short grass in patches and some hard-packed dirt in the reception space so my mom is insistent that we cover the ground for the guests. I personally don't think it's a big deal because we'll A) spread grass seedlings and take the horses off of that field area so that it's nicer and B) make it very clear to the guests that it's a country wedding (ie - dress comfortably, wear boots or regular shoes).

So, my first question: is it absolutely essential to cover the ground even after doing the two things I just mentioned?

My next question: where does a bride buy/rent this outdoor carpet/ground cloth/AstroTurf type of cover?

I refuse to rent actual flooring from a company because that will be WAY too expensive (think lower budget here, maybe $10,000). I have heard of other brides using a thick cloth type of material to lay under their tents to protect grass or to make their reception a bit nicer (so the guests don't have to walk on the ground) but I have had such a difficult time locating such a product.

Any help would be absolutely amazing - thank you!
-Kelsie

Re: Outdoor Reception Help

• Options
    My wedding is September 2014, I live in Washington State and my reception is going to be held outside on my mom's farm (which is lovely).

The reception tent is going to be set up in my mom's field where her horses currently are. There is short grass in patches and some hard-packed dirt in the reception space so my mom is insistent that we cover the ground for the guests. I personally don't think it's a big deal because we'll A) spread grass seedlings and take the horses off of that field area so that it's nicer and B) make it very clear to the guests that it's a country wedding (ie - dress comfortably, wear boots or regular shoes).

So, my first question: is it absolutely essential to cover the ground even after doing the two things I just mentioned?

My next question: where does a bride buy/rent this outdoor carpet/ground cloth/AstroTurf type of cover?

I refuse to rent actual flooring from a company because that will be WAY too expensive (think lower budget here, maybe $10,000). I have heard of other brides using a thick cloth type of material to lay under their tents to protect grass or to make their reception a bit nicer (so the guests don't have to walk on the ground) but I have had such a difficult time locating such a product.

-Kelsie
    Woo Hoo Washington. I think if you mention it will be outdoors to your guests it will be helpful. I would see if there is AA party rentals or one of the other companies out where you are in WA and get quotes. Are you having your wedding caterer? You could ask your caterer if they have any vendors that they have worked with in the past that do flooring for tents.

You do not include dress code info on your invitation, but people will generally get the hint on formality based on your invitation. You can include helpful tips on your wedding website though. :)
  • Options
    I'd suggest some sort of flooring, just in case of rain.  While the tent should keep the rain out, people may track in some water upon entering, and if there is a slight leak anywhere the hard pack earth will quickly turn to mud.  I can't suggest any vendors though, since I don't live there.  Good luck finding something

• Options

In this case I am with you that it mgiht be best to skip flooring all together. Non-hard floor can be tough to keep down, and if it rains any flooring will be a mess and it's better to get muddy (which was did at a super fancy wedding during a monsoon, it was fun and fine). Just my two cents.

• Options

-Kelsie
    1. It's not essential. It's honestly fine.

2. Search your local boards and area for it. 
  • Options
    Well, first of all, it's not appropriate to tell your guests what kind of footwear to wear.  It is acceptable (and appreciated!) to indicate what kind of outdoor surface they'll be walking on.

But, if the ground is going to be muddy, it's not a convenience for your guests.  I'd ask around locally about this.  Maybe someone with experience putting together outdoor events where you are can give you a recommendation.
  • Options
    If you can, I would start improvements to the ground and grass this fall and continue next spring.  You can use an aerator to help improve the hard-packed areas and seed the thin areas.  I just hosted an outdoor wedding and we had to reseed some large areas this spring and the grass took okay but I wished we had started in the fall.  We didn't use anything on the ground and it was okay.
  • Options
    I agree with @anotherKT, if you need to do some reseeding you need to start early to make sure that the grass has time to grow and fill in the bare spots.  If you go to Lowe's or Home Depot their lawn folks will be able to tell you what steps you need to take during each season to ensure a nice lawn by the time your wedding rolls around.  I'm pretty sure that it is going to take more work than spreading grass seed.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards