Not Engaged Yet
Options

Less than a week ...

Next week on Thursday is my qualifying exam (if I pass, I get to be a PhD candidate and I can start working on my thesis). I'm excited about it, even if I'm also nervous. But more than anything, I'm just tired of studying for it, so I'm taking a break.

What's at LEAST as exciting, though, is that in less than a week, my partner and I are making our engagement official. I know that a lot of people have been confused about the weird way we've gone about our engagement, and I know that what we're doing doesn't make sense for everyone. Namely, we knew several months ago that we wanted to get engaged, but we wanted to wait till we'd been living together a year. We're both going to wear engagement rings (already purchased and ready to go), and there won't be a formal proposal.

Right now, we're trying to brainstorm how to announce our engagement to our families. We'll be having dinner with them at the end of the week, ostensibly to celebrate me passing my qual (fingers crossed that we don't have to cancel!), and we hope they'll be surprised. We were thinking that my partner would sneak it in during the toast (" ... to Phira, future PhD and my future wife!") but we think that might be awkward. Ideas are welcome.

Aaaaah I'm just so excited >.<
Anniversary
now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~

Re: Less than a week ...

• Options
    Sounds like next week will be a big week for you!

Maybe you could announce your engagement by saying something like "In addition to celebrating Phira's success we'd all of you to be the first to know we're engaged!"

• Options
    I like beth's idea. Congrats and good vibes on the PhD stuff!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Aaaaah less than 2 daaaaaaays ...

I picked out my outfit. I still don't know what restaurant we're going to Tuesday night. My partner says he's going to wear a suit. Must be FANCY.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I hope you'll come AW your ring afterwards!

• Options
    Yay!!! So exciting!! Take pictures!
  • Options
    How exciting!  Definitely have to share pictures!  I'm sure it will be a night to remember :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going to try to remember to bring my camera with me to the restaurant tomorrow night and Friday night. I am also going to be AWing it up with my ring.

I have to remind myself, though, that while this engagement is HAPPENING, it's not a given that I'm gonna pass my qual ... lots of studying to do this week!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Good luck!  Can't wait to see the follow up AWing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards