Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Second thoughts about my dress...help!

Hi everyone :)

So, my wedding was supposed to be this coming October. I went to a couple bridal salons this summer in order to look for "the" dress. I tried on alot of different ones and the salesperson suggested a certain dress that I tried on and absolutely LOVED. I love the mermaid/trumpet silhouette on me since I am relatively "petite" & curvier framed..I thought it looked amazing & it had just the right amount of sparkle. The entire dress is made of "crystal lace" which is lace with crystal sewn in, so the sparkle is incredible in person.

I was so excited about my dress, that I raved about it to some friends & in-laws...regretfully, I brought it up to my sister-in-law, who is a sweetheart but very opinionated & good friends with a bridal seamstress. She kept telling me I should go to her friend's bridal salon with her, & I didn't really want to, but I accepted & went with her to be polite & respectful... needless to say, it was a nightmare & has made me wonder about my dress ever since. (Especially since I pushed the wedding to March 1st due to my dad getting sick recently, so I have even more time to second guess myself!)

She showed me a catalog of many different dresses (she didn't have any in store to try on). I didn't like anything except for one dress. She then looked at the picture of the dress that I liked and began saying it's too simple, it "looks like a parachute" (because it isn't altered yet and I accidentally stepped on the front in the picture), and in the place that I live, MANY brides simply go for the poofy ballgown look and then alter it to add over the top crystals and accessories. Personally, I don't like doing that, I find it a little tacky...but what she said, & since ballgowns are the norm in the area in which I live, I started questioning my dress. Which I ordered after seeing her since I was so upset & adamant on the fact that I love it.

Now that I have about six more months before the wedding, I am seriously contemplating looking into a new one, but at the same time I can't bring myself to do it. Whenever I go back into the bridal salon and see the dress I picked I fall in love all over again, but then I am worried no one will like it! (My family assured me they love it, especially in person, since you can't see the sparkle well in pictures. My fiance's brother's wife  also wore a mermaid gown to her wedding and I loved it & she looked incredible.)

I think when the dress comes in this September, & I get it altered, I will fall in love all over again. And when the wedding comes up & everyone sees it in person, they will love it just as much. BUT, the more I hear about people picking & wearing the ballgown style dress with lots of bling, the more I am doubting myself...

Pictures are below. I'd love to get your advice!!! Do you think it is too plain, or I should look into another one for the big day?? Thank you so much!

Re: Second thoughts about my dress...help!

• Options
    I don't think it matters what other people think of your dress. You love it, right? Your SIL is one person who isn't a fan, but she's not wearing the dress, you are. If you love it and it makes you happy, then who cares whatever anyone else says.
  • Options
    You love it - who cares what your SIL and her friend think? It's your wedding - you're the one wearing the dress, not either of them. Don't do what everyone else does just because they do it! I mean, do you really want to look like everyone else on your wedding day or do you want to look like you?
  • Options
    That dress is beautiful and you look great in it. I like how it shapes your body plus you love the dress. There are always gonna be some negative people who moan about something. Its your day not theirs, make yourself happy not others ! Personally i love mermaid/trumpet, Im also petite and I feel like those fits our bodies best. I tried a ballgown and looked like small dwarf in it while in a mermaid like a woman. 
  • Options
    Beautiful! Wait until you try it on again and you'll fall in love with it again. Don't let people second guess you or put doubts in your head.
  • Options
    You look stunning in that dress and you can tell by the look on your face that you love it.  Go with what you want to wear and don't worry about what anybody else thinks!
  • Options
    It's beautiful.  As long as you love it, that's all that matters.
  • Options
    I'm going to echo what almost everyone else has said...

It's a beautiful dress and you look awesome in it.  For picking your dress - if it was your favorite (and I can see why it would be!) - that's really all that matters.

Also, I think it is awesome to be a little different.  You might have a few nay-sayers who just want to do the same thing everyone seems to be doing.. I like that your dress is a little different from the norm!
  • Options
    OjitosVerdesOjitosVerdes member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    I agree with everyone above! If you don't get the dress you love (which is gorgeous and looks phenomenal on you!), I'm going to come find you and bop you in the head! 

Weddings can bring out the worst in opinionated people who try to push their own version of how things should be on the bride. Regardless of whether or not your FSIL has good intentions, she is way out of line. Buy your dress, tell her you appreciate her help but the dress has been decided, and then change the subject if she tries to bring it up again. And as far as "ballgowns being the norm in your area": 

1. I'd like to see those stats
    2. If it's true, even more reason to go with the dress you love, since it is different
    3. This sounds like a pushy sales tactic 

If you let yourself be pressured into getting a dress you're not in love with (and can't even try on? What kind of bridal salon only has catalogs?), you will regret it and probably feel resentful towards your FSIL. 

I think you look stunning in that gown, and that is all anyone will notice on your wedding day!
  • Options
    NadaShatilaNadaShatila member
    First Comment
    edited August 2013
    Thank you so much everyone for your responses!!! I really appreciate them all :)
    That is very true... my SIL is just one person, & if anyone says anything else it's only a few people out of the majority. And I shouldn't care at all! Traditionally, the wedding is Middle Eastern, & alot of women wear traditional-style gowns that entail ball-gown style with lots of bling. I like the idea of being different & I am glad the consensus is that it is a nice gown, just having some bridal anxiety ;)

I will definitely go with it--and I am sure when my fitting date rolls around in September I will love the dress all over again! I get anxious when I don't see it, but when I do I am convinced it's the one for me.

Thank you all!
  • Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    My friend got married in a similar dress this weekend. It was so pretty! Every turn she made on the dance floor sparkled. I'm not a bling or lace girl... but I wanted that dress when I saw her in it. You mention that you are Middle Eastern- she's Armenian, and it was a VERY Armenian wedding and she looked perfect there in it with her dress. If you want more bling, I think a pretty belt would be perfect on that dress.

People have different opinions and something about weddings makes people very blunt with how they feel. My dress has a big bow on the back that I absolutely love. But I cannot tell you how many people have asked me "Do you like the bow?" or "Are you going to keep the bow?" Yes, I like the bow and yes, I plan on keeping it. In fact I bought the dress because of the bow. So I'd really appreciate it if you keep all your bow hating to yourself.
  • Options
    I think it looks beautiful! More importantly you love it which means your confidence will show and you will look fabulous, you can't please everyone, it's your day.
  • Options

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments :) I decided to go 100% with the dress and this past Saturday I went back to the boutique to put it back on & buy accessories! I am excited now that I got jewelry to complement the dress & just need to get a veil, but I love the look.

I also got a better picture taken of the back of my dress, & when I put the dress on I fell in love all over again--but now I have good pictures to look at, if I ever have any sort of doubts again!! Thank you again everyone!

• Options

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments :) I decided to go 100% with the dress and this past Saturday I went back to the boutique to put it back on & buy accessories! I am excited now that I got jewelry to complement the dress & just need to get a veil, but I love the look.

I also got a better picture taken of the back of my dress, & when I put the dress on I fell in love all over again--but now I have good pictures to look at, if I ever have any sort of doubts again!! Thank you again everyone!

• Options
    What a gorgeous dress! It looks like it was MADE for you!!! Glad you stuck with your gut!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden where the flowers are dead." - Oscar Wilde
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards