Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Filter Building

Any Filter Building brides out there?  We haven't booked yet, but I love this venue for aesthetic, sentimental, and practical reasons.  Can any FB brides clue me in on major pros or cons to this venue. I've already toured the site (and spent an embarrassing amount of time on google image searches).  Here are some specific questions I have, but any input would be very welcome:
  • Did you use a caterer from the approved list and did you like them?  Did they offer any set-up/minor coordination services?
  • Did you hire a coordinator/planner and would you recommend him/her?
  • Does anyone know what the one approved tent rental place charges? (I found their website totally overwhelming, with so many separate prices for  different tents, set up, tear down, delivery, etc. Just looking for the bottom line quote.)
  • Were the decorating limitations an issue?
  • If you had your ceremony inside, what did your guests do/where did they go while the reception was set up?
  • Was the lack of a groom's room a problem?

We'd like to keep the budget (excluding honeymoon) under $15k, so any budget advice would be awesome too, especially if specific to this venue. I'm sure I could come up with a million more questions.  We haven't even set a date and I'm already overwhelmed - am I the only one?!

Thanks Ladies!

Re: Filter Building

• Options
    cwaggoner07cwaggoner07 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited August 2013
    I'm a Filter Building bride! I'll try to answer your questions best I can.
    • Did you use a caterer from the approved list and did you like them?  Did they offer any set-up/minor coordination services?
    We used Sonny Bryan's from the list, and they were wonderful. I would highly recommend using a caterer from the list. There is a vast array to choose from, and since SB had been there before, I pretty much had zero work to do with them except pick our menu items. They knew where to be, at what time, and what setup would look like. They didn't need my help with ANY of that. We also wanted to use our own alcohol, and SB provided a bar table and TABC bartenders. So were able to do that all with one company. 
    • Did you hire a coordinator/planner and would you recommend him/her?
    I did, and I would not recommend anyone do a wedding at the FB without one. I used Jen Ashford for day-of coordinator, but I don't think she does day-of anymore. I loved her regardless, but I also think it really helped that she had done a wedding at the FB before. Because there is no one on site to coordinate things during the limited setup time, she was a LIFESAVER. Seriously, don't use the site unless you have a DOC.
    • Does anyone know what the one approved tent rental place charges? (I found their website totally overwhelming, with so many separate prices for  different tents, set up, tear down, delivery, etc. Just looking for the bottom line quote.)
    We didn't use them, sorry!
    • Were the decorating limitations an issue?
    The decorating limitations were one reason I loved the FB, haha. It was one less thing to worry about, and the space is BEAUTIFUL as is. I feel like when I've seen weddings there with lots of decor it just takes away from the natural feel of the place. Plus, it was a great way to cut costs. 
    • If you had your ceremony inside, what did your guests do/where did they go while the reception was set up?
    We had our ceremony outside, but I know someone who had a wedding there with 80 people, and they actually had cocktail hour up in the bride's room. I don't think you could do that with more than 80 people, and you would have to clear out the bride's room beforehand. There was a 10% chance of rain the week we got married, so our contingency plan was to have everyone sit at the tables during the ceremony, which I wasn't a fan of, but my DOC insisted it was the only way to keep everyone away from the rain.
    • Was the lack of a groom's room a problem?
    We have a friend who has a travel trailer, and we actually parked that in the parking lot and used that as the groom's room. I think it was a little cramped since we had such a big wedding party, but they had a shaded awning attached as well. Even though we used the rented tables and chairs, the room they say can be used as a groom's room was still packed with junk. I don't really know what we would have done without the travel trailer. It was a lifesaver. Also, after the wedding my family just loaded everything (decorations, presents, etc.) into the trailer and drove it to their house. It was so much easier that night (so I hear).

I will PM you with a budget outline I gave another girl.
    GL!
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2013

One of my favorite weddings ever on this board was at the FB and I have her review and pics (although it won't really add much to what Carrie has already told you).  She did say that hiring a wedding coordinator was money well spent (she used Altar Ego Weddings) and that she couldn't imagine having a wedding there without one.  She used Wendy Crispin caterers and her food looked amazing, even in pictures.  She rented her linens through Altar Ego and said they were the cheapest she found.  She had her ceremony outside.  She used Hotel Palomar as her guest/wedding night hotel and she and the groom got ready there.

• Options

I don't know if this is helpful since I ultimately decided not to be a Filter bride, but I did look at the place and loved it--my 2 main concerns were (1) the totally DIY element and (2) lack of a good Plan B. It's so gorgeous right by the lake and we knew we wanted to get married outside, but if there's rain/bad weather of any kind, their back-up option is not great-- it seems like tenting might be expensive and getting married inside and then completely flipping the room seemed stressful. I know myself well enough to realize that I would have been obsessed with checking the weather and worrying about it, and I knew I didn't want that added anxiety. I also knew I'd have to hire a good planner/coordinator to assist with everything which seemed a little expensive.

But its such a beautiful location and a great idea. Carrie's wedding photos are gorgeous.

• Options
    Thanks for all the input!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards