Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Decor ideas for a fishing/rustic theme in a modern venue.

I booked a September 2014 reception at The Sheraton Mpls. We will be having our ceremony on a boat on Lake Minnetonka. My fiancé is a die hard fisherman and I his fishing companion; that being said I would like the theme of our wedding/reception to be fishing! The reception ballroom is quite modern and I am not sure how to tie the fishing theme and rustic look I want into this space. I have all these ideas via pinterest (which are all in rustic settings)......of course, and cute sayings; but any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Looking for centerpiece ideas and decorating in general. I am thinking fall colors but just not sure how to incorporate fishing, rustic and burlap into modern! HELP! Confused and needing creativity!

Re: Decor ideas for a fishing/rustic theme in a modern venue.

• You could do some burlap table runners.   I think some birch stumps or candle holders or even a cake holder would be cute! Check out pinterest too!  There's a cute idea for a fishing net with pictures of the couple on the wall above the sign in table, mason jars with little sticks, fishing line and a paper fish with a number for table numbers/centerpieces, bowls with water and goldfish, you could do a candy bar with gummy worms and swedish fish or even just favors with those two things, even a cake topper where the woman is dragging the guy away and he's holding fishing gear!  Such cute stuff...pinterest is definitely the way to go, just search fishing wedding theme :)
  • dajanjeffdajanjeff member
    First Comment
    edited August 2013
    thanks! My Pinterest board has been exploding since the ring went on :-) just don't want it to look too casual when he ballroom is so elegant.....but hoping burlap can work cause I love it!
  • I think burlap would look really cute!  It can look great in many settings!  Where's your venue or do you have pics of it?  Also, if you're not finding anything you're super in to for a fishing theme, you could do more of a water/outdoorsy theme with your colors (dark blues, teals, greens, taupe, browns, etc.) and decorations, which would then tie in the burlap pretty well!  Just a thought! :)
  •  

I think burlap would look really cute!  It can look great in many settings!  Where's your venue or do you have pics of it?  Also, if you're not finding anything you're super in to for a fishing theme, you could do more of a water/outdoorsy theme with your colors (dark blues, teals, greens, taupe, browns, etc.) and decorations, which would then tie in the burlap pretty well!  Just a thought! :)

I totally agree with Kschaefer's color suggestions!  You can do a really rich color scheme with burlap, and it would look great!  If your location allows it, you could ask them to do some ceiling draping with white fabric and some burlap.

I know this isn't what you asked for, but you should definitely start with your invites, programs, menus or any other paper items to easily set the tone with your theme. :)

If you're doing assigned seating, it would be cute to have something with a burlap background and netting over it with maybe the table settings strung up by fishing line.

Definitely do a fun fishing-themed cake topper. It's a place where you can do something cheesy and colorful without having it be too much.

For centerpieces, maybe clear vases with river rocks and water with candles on top or skip the water and just a white pillar candle on the rocks.  If you want something with more height, maybe try a tin pail (like a vintage minow bucket) and put some kind of little box or something inside with burlap on top (to prop up the next piece), and then put a glass vase on top of the box with the river rocks and candle.  Otherwise, I just saw this picture at an indoor non-rustic location that could work for you.

Fishing themed wedding decor

Here's a super cute idea for the card box with a vintage tackle box.

Wedding Card Box Vintage Fishing Tackle Box

For any bouquets, instead of having them wrapped in ribbon, have them wrapped in twine.

FWIW - The live fish in the bowls can look really cool, BUT I've been to two receptions with this, and by the time dinner started, there were already some floaters, which was pretty nasty to look at while eating. :(

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards