Chit Chat

Update on "you can't win for trying" wedding

A few weeks ago, I posted about my aunt's craziness relating to her son's wedding (see here <-- clicky).

The wedding is this weekend. Last night, my aunt called my father. According to his conversation with me today, the conversation went like this:
Aunt: You said you were coming. You RSVP'd that you were coming. It's rude to RSVP that you're coming if you're not coming.
Daddy: We are coming. 
Aunt: We checked with both of the approved hotels and you're not registered at either of them, so we had to make a reservation for you and this was NOT something we needed to worry about the week before the wedding!
Daddy: We made a reservation at a different hotel because HisGirl's mother travels a lot and has reward points so we got a better deal.
Aunt: Don't you know that's rude? We arranged for a shuttle to take guests from the hotel to the venue and those shuttles are only available to guests who stay at the approved hotels!
Daddy: Well, we'll drive ourselves. We have GPS, we know where we're going, it will be fine.
Aunt: No! You must stay at an approved hotel! Why did you not stay at an approved hotel? We set up approved hotels for a reason! You were supposed to stay at an approved hotel!
Daddy: But this hotel is cheaper...
Aunt: No! You must take the shuttle! What if you get drunk and can't drive back, and you can't take the shuttle and then what will happen??

This went on until my parents agreed (I don't have any idea why, because I wouldn't have!) to change their hotel reservation.

I cannot WAIT to hear the rest of the stories about this wedding.
Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'

Re: Update on &quot;you can't win for trying&quot; wedding

• Wow ... special. I can't believe they changed their hotel reservation.
  • A few weeks ago, I posted about my aunt's craziness relating to her son's wedding (see here <-- clicky).

The wedding is this weekend. Last night, my aunt called my father. According to his conversation with me today, the conversation went like this:
    Aunt: You said you were coming. You RSVP'd that you were coming. It's rude to RSVP that you're coming if you're not coming.
    Daddy: We are coming. 
    Aunt: We checked with both of the approved hotels and you're not registered at either of them, so we had to make a reservation for you and this was NOT something we needed to worry about the week before the wedding!
    Daddy: We made a reservation at a different hotel because HisGirl's mother travels a lot and has reward points so we got a better deal.
    Aunt: Don't you know that's rude? We arranged for a shuttle to take guests from the hotel to the venue and those shuttles are only available to guests who stay at the approved hotels!
    Daddy: Well, we'll drive ourselves. We have GPS, we know where we're going, it will be fine.
    Aunt: No! You must stay at an approved hotel! Why did you not stay at an approved hotel? We set up approved hotels for a reason! You were supposed to stay at an approved hotel!
    Daddy: But this hotel is cheaper...
    Aunt: No! You must take the shuttle! What if you get drunk and can't drive back, and you can't take the shuttle and then what will happen??

This went on until my parents agreed (I don't have any idea why, because I wouldn't have!) to change their hotel reservation.

I cannot WAIT to hear the rest of the stories about this wedding.
    WTF. They are fricking bananas. I love your aunt. She's gonna be just dandy. You better smile just right in the family photos. Better clap correctly too.

How dare you try to save money!??!?!?!
  • They're probably pushing that guests stay at the "approved" hotels because if X rooms are reserved they will get a suite for free or whatever (at least that's how it works with hotel blocks around here)
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Even if that's true, @drexelkathy, the wedding is this weekend, so if it hasn't happened by now, it's not going to, and you really can't force your guests to stay there just so you get a free room. That's rude.
    Anniversary

• Oh...I'm not saying it isn't rude...it most definitely is @HisGirlFriday13.    I'm just guessing that it is likely their motivation.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • They're probably pushing that guests stay at the "approved" hotels because if X rooms are reserved they will get a suite for free or whatever (at least that's how it works with hotel blocks around here)

I'm thinking it could be something like this, too. Or maybe she's just being a control freak or something. She sounds do crazy and irrational.

You better get the details from your dad! We expect more stories!
  • Can your dad videotape this train wreck and send it to you?
  • That's actually kind of crazy that you can call a hotel to get personal information on who has registered under your block.

Creepy McCreeperston.

It's sad that she is worrying about it.

• itzMS said:

That's actually kind of crazy that you can call a hotel to get personal information on who has registered under your block.

Creepy McCreeperston.

It's sad that she is worrying about it.

That's what I thought. And did she stalk every single guest?

Anniversary

• is she like this because she knows if she persists, people will give in?  She is freaking bananas.
  • I think my real question is, "If she's like this to our FAMILY (and, obtw, until my brother's wedding last year, we hadn't seen this branch of the family in more than a decade), WHAT is she like to her FDIL??"
    Anniversary

• I am speechless... Just, wow!
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • and to think... Big Bro thought it was awesome we got a better deal at le historical hotel for his wedding rather than stay at the two places they had blocks reserved! And still invited us to join them all for drinks at the bar at Hotel A!

• gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2013

Your aunt is batshit.  For real.

I had a friend who worried that I might get mad if he booked the better rate he found at our blocked hotel instead of the block rate we reserved.  I was like, save money, what do I care?  I was more pissed that the hotel has a better sale rate available than what we blocked.  I don't want my guests to feel like they're being duped. 

• Wow! I am pretty sure hotel blocks are for guest convenience, not so you can get a free room or whatever. Your aunt sounds crazy. I feel bad for her FDIL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards