Wedding Reception Forum

cigar roller... need advice!!

so for a surprise for my future hubby I am going to have a cigar roller come in and make fresh cigars for all the guys/ anyone that wants one...my dads side of the family are huge cigar people too..so I thought it would be a nice touch....the company offers the service either during cocktail hour (ours is outside partly tented and partly on a green over looking the water) or after dinner...which is actually held in a ballroom with a wrap around farmers porch for people to go in and out as they please. I have concerns about both times...during cocktail hour even if it is outside I wouldn't want the people who don't smoke to get bombarded with the smell..leading me more towards after dinner so the guys can smoke them outside on the porch whenever they want during the night. The only concern I have with after dinner is that I know this will be a HUGE it with our guests and I am worried a lot of people will end up leaving the dance floor empty to enjoy their cigars. ...what do you girls think is a better choice?? cocktail hour or after dinner? Thanks!

Re: cigar roller... need advice!!

• I feel like cocktail hour would be the better choice because it is partially outdoors. But then again, what happens when people are still finishing their cigars and it's dinner time, that could just prevent people from coming back inside. What is your ballroom's policy on this? Do they have any non smoking rules or designated smoking areas?

After dinner makes sense too. I think it's ok if people aren't dancing at least they are sticking around. :)
  • @huynhette... the only real policy the venue has is that any smoking needs to be outside so cocktail hour is fine.. if we were to go with after dinner there is a huge porch that wraps around the entire ball room with French doors that open every like 20 feet or so..so the guys would just have to go out there,....the porch will also be set up with high top tables and bench swings so people could bring their drinks out there and such. Thanks for your input :)
  • @huynhette... the only real policy the venue has is that any smoking needs to be outside so cocktail hour is fine.. if we were to go with after dinner there is a huge porch that wraps around the entire ball room with French doors that open every like 20 feet or so..so the guys would just have to go out there,....the porch will also be set up with high top tables and bench swings so people could bring their drinks out there and such. Thanks for your input :)
    That sounds awesome. I pick after dinner then. Definitely. I think it would be a really cool atmosphere.
  • As someone with an extremely severe allergy to tobacco smoke, I'd encourage you to set up a 'smoking station' as far away from the main reception area as politely possible. Not on the porch or by the doors where people will be moving in and out. Some of us are sensitive enough to the smoke that being outdoors isn't enough to prevent a reaction, if the smoker is nearby.  Plus, you don't want the smoke drifting indoors if the venue doesn't allow smoking indoors. You could make it really nice with comfy chairs and tables for ashtrays, maybe a bar nearby or a server to make sure those guests have access to drinks. Then they could have a nice place to enjoy a smoke, and those who don't want to be around it can be separate enough to not have a problem. I know that, with the way you described the venue (which sounds beautiful), if people were smoking on the porch or near the doors, I would have a hard time finding a safe place away from the smoke.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards