Registry and Gift Forum

Gift For A Travelling Bride

Hi there,

I know there are lots of articles about wedding gift giving, but I feel like my situation is pretty unique. So, I thought I'd ask here.

A friend of mine is getting married in Iceland next week, and I'm meeting up with her before she leaves London. I really want to get her something thoughtful, but I can't really get her anything fragile like a bottle of wine or a photo frame (because it could break in their luggage), electrical (she won't be able to use it when she's goes back Canada) or for her home (they already live together).

I'm at a bit of a loss. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: Gift For A Travelling Bride

• If she's travelling, the gift is just one more thing for her to keep track of or that could be broken, as you point out. I would send something to her home in Canada after she gets back from the wedding. Even for local weddings, I have started having the gift shipped to the house. I have been the person helping configure a brigade of cars to get wedding presents to the bride's house after a wedding and it can be a hassle even if the couple isn't having a destination wedding or traveling. I prefer giving gifts in person to mailing, but sometimes that just isn't practical.
  • I realize this might take some research, but what if you gifted her something in Iceland? If you know the hotel, perhaps you could see if they have a spa/salon where you could gift her a man-pedi or massage? Or, after all her hectic travels, perhaps you could gift she and her husband a "first married date" package, with a gift certificate for dinner and a movie.
  • I agree with the above- something at the hotel would be nice, though be careful about dates, you wouldn't want to plan something for her if it is date specific and she and FH already have plans. Or, ship the gift to her home address for when she returns. 
  • Does she have a registry?
  • Nope, she doesn't have a registry. I would feel a bit weird giving her money, though.
  • Can you pay (over the phone) for a spa trip or something at her hotel?

Anniversary

• Get her and her H an experience - theater/concert tickets, wine tasting, hot air ballooning, etc. You can slip the details into a card and give it to them at the wedding.
  • astimmel said:
    Get her and her H an experience - theater/concert tickets, wine tasting, hot air ballooning, etc. You can slip the details into a card and give it to them at the wedding.
    This. Get a lovely card...and pay for a date night for them back home. Fancy restaurant gift certificate as well as a gift certificate to a local multi-purpose venue (one that hosts concerts, fine arts, theatre, etc)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards