Honeymoon Discussions

Jamaica

Fiance and I are having a hard time deciding on a HM. We know that the longer we wait, the more expensive it will get. We were originally leaning towards Secret Maroma Beach but decided we did not want to go to Mexico for our HM. Once we started looking into other Secrets resorts, we are now sold on Jamaica. However, I have heard it's best to stay in Ocho Rios rather than Montego Bay. So, I am looking into other resorts in Ocho Rios. Has anyone been to Couples - Tower Isle? I would love any advice or feedback anyone is willing to share. TIA!

Re: Jamaica

• I've been to Tower Isle. Personally, I'd choose Negril, then Ocho Rios, then Montego Bay. Negril has the nicest beaches and that is important to me. I'm not sure you will find anything comparable to Maroma Beach unless you stay in Negril and then even the beach won't be quite as nice. fyou really liked the look of Secrets Maroma and the restaurant offerings, then stick with Secrets in Jamaica or possibly Couples Swept Away. Having been to Tower Isle and Secrets Maroma, Secrets Maroma is just all around a more luxury property. Tower Isle was fine, but not as nice as Maroma IMHO. Swept Away is the top Couples, so if you really want Couples, I'd stick with that.

• @jells2dot0 have you stayed in Montego Bay? Any feedback on the planes? Also, have you stayed at Swept Away? I was looking at that resort also. So hard to decide!

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THE INFO! :)

• I have only stayed in Ocho Rios. I have a few friends that have stayed at Swept Away and places in MB and they say hands down Negril is the better choice. I know their travel tastes very well and they are similar to mine, so I don't take it with a grain of salt. However, everyone has their own opinion and you are bound to find people that hate Negril or won't go anywhere but MB.

• We just got back from our HM at Sandals Whitehouse and it was fabulous. It's about an hour and a half away from the airport in MB but it's so worth the trip! It's secluded on a beautiful beach with no other resorts in sight! Good luck :)
  • We chose Couples Swept Away for our honeymoon in January. I loved the beach compared to the other resorts, and it's bigger than Couples Negril, but much more spread out. We loved the idea of taking walks down the beach and meandering through the gardens. We chose Couples Swept Away over Sandals Negril because Couples has so many more inclusions, better food (according to reviews and message boards- I haven't experienced it yet to tell), and seemed more "Jamaican." I felt like the rooms at the Sandals resorts really could have been plunked down anywhere. It was a really tough decision, though! I'm sure whichever you choose, you will have an amazing honeymoon!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I definitely agree with Jells on that Negril is the nicest part of Jamaica. Great beaches, laid back, friendly people, not quite as "touristy" as MB. It's about an hour - hour and a half drive from the airport. Look into TimAir, they have 12 minute flights from MB right to Negril. Pretty reasonable rates and a gorgeous flight over Jamaica too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards