Moms and Maids
Options

MOG is trying to match color of bridemaids dress?!

KD+ARKD+AR member
5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
edited September 2013 in Moms and Maids
So, I love my future MIL however she has some tendencies that can be a little agitating. Recently she asked me what color the girls were wearing. I told her a dark plum color... So now she is showing me all types of dresses that she wants to get trying to match the bridemaid colors perfectly. She has a history of this. I found a picture from the 90's when her cousin got married and she was wearing a white dress suit. In my opinion completely inappropriate. When she first mentioned she wanted to wear a very similar color I tried nicely to encourage her to wear purple in a lighter color like a lavender or wisteria color, or even our accent color of Champagne, like my step mom. " Oh, wouldn't you want to wear a lighter color to stand out from everyone else? You are the mother of the groom, you want to be different from the girls.You're an honored guest!"  She didn't take this as me asking her to change her color. She instead told me she preffered the jewel tones of plum. I asked my step mom what I should do, she said to tell her out right how I feel, but I don't want to be a bitch. What would you ladies do? Do you think I am just being silly and to let her wear what ever color she wants?
Thanks

Re: MOG is trying to match color of bridemaids dress?!

• Options
    I do think that you are being a bit silly and overly stressing about a very minor detail.  Nobody really cares what the moms wear and nobody usually notices.  However, if it really is bothering you, it is possible for you to ask her not to wear a specific color without being harsh or nasty.  
    FYI, I thought I looked spectacular at my daughter's wedding a couple of months ago.  I asked a few people what they thought of my dress and they honestly don't remember what it was...as it should be. They do remember my daughter looking beautiful...as it should be.
  • Options
    I do think that you are being a bit silly and overly stressing about a very minor detail.  Nobody really cares what the moms wear and nobody usually notices.  However, if it really is bothering you, it is possible for you to ask her not to wear a specific color without being harsh or nasty.  
    FYI, I thought I looked spectacular at my daughter's wedding a couple of months ago.  I asked a few people what they thought of my dress and they honestly don't remember what it was...as it should be. They do remember my daughter looking beautiful...as it should be.

You probably looked spectacular because you were able to select a dress in a color and style that worked best for you...as it should be.  OP, let it go.   There are other brides who would insist the mothers' coordinate their colors.  Let the MOB and MOG dress the way they want.  
  • Options
    I know it seems strange to you, but let her wear whatever dress she wants. Maybe she just really likes the idea of the jewel tone (like she says). Regardless, unless she buys the same exact dress your BMs are wearing, no one will be confusing her for a BM. And it's not like there are a ton of pictures taken at most weddings that involve the MOG and the bridal party (at least not in my experience) so this probably won't be immortalized on your wall.

Just tell her that you're sure whatever she picks out will be lovely, and encourage her to pick a dress that makes her feel beautiful.
  • Options
    You're being silly. Your FMIL has been dressing herself since before you were born.The mothers may wear any color, other than white, or style dress, as long as it matches the formality of the wedding, according to their own judgement.The bride doesn't have a say in what they wear.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    KD+AR  Wow, you're a breath of fresh air. Lately, the new brides get pissed off when someone doesn't agree with them. 

Those wedding planning guides are designed to feed brides egos. Don't pay attention to them. Use common sense and if you're not sure about etiquette get one of Miss Manners books. I hope you have a beautiful wonderful wedding.

imageimage

• Options
    KD+AR  Wow, you're a breath of fresh air. Lately, the new brides get pissed off when someone doesn't agree with them. 

Those wedding planning guides are designed to feed brides egos. Don't pay attention to them. Use common sense and if you're not sure about etiquette get one of Miss Manners books. I hope you have a beautiful wonderful wedding.

imageimage

I could not agree more!  Dare we use KD + AR as the example to new TK posters................
  • Options

• Options
    mobkaz said:

imageimage

I could not agree more!  Dare we use KD + AR as the example to new TK posters................
    Hear, hear!
  • Options
    I read this and the only thing I could think of was ... So?

Honestly - from the weddings I've been to in the past, I can barely remember what the bridal party wore, let along the MOG. My advice is to let her wear what she wants to, I think plum is a lovely color for a MOG. Don't fret :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies. 

I just want her to stand apart- expecially since she only knows my FH side of the family and the step mother in law will be dressing fancy too- I wanted her to stand out from the rest as the specialy lady she is. But if wearing plum makes her feel beautiful than I hope you finds a dress she really likes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards