Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

My vows. Opinions?

Hello ladies !

We are writing our own vows and this is my first draft. I want them to sound like "me" so I just wrote without stopping and this is what I have come up with. 

Id love to hear your thoughts and opinions! Thanks in Advance :)

NAME, your loving heart, playful spirit and gorgeous baby blues are just a few of the things that made me fall in love with you. Every day you seem to find another way to steal my heart even more and remind me just how lucky I am to be yours.

I know that our love is strong enough to withstand the toughest of trials. It already has. It made it through 282 days of war.  And you were worth every single lonely night.

I promise to support your dreams, to love you and only you for all of my days. I promise to be honest with you always give you the very best of me because that’s what you deserve. I promise to laugh with you, respect you and to listen to your ideas with an open mind. I promise to always leave the pizza rolls in the oven until they explode because you like them like that. I vow to love you unconditionally for who you are and to protect your heart as if it were my own.

I am so honored to be your wife. I cannot wait to grow old with you, raise our children and achieve our dreams. Thank you for an incredible 848 days so far, I look forward to forever with you. I love you.

Re: My vows. Opinions?

• I'm not a fan of the pizza rolls joke or the second mention of the number of days.  The first is cute but I'm not liking the second...  The rest sounds great!
  • Hello ladies !

We are writing our own vows and this is my first draft. I want them to sound like "me" so I just wrote without stopping and this is what I have come up with. 

NAME, your loving heart, playful spirit and gorgeous baby blues are just a few of the things that made me fall in love with you. Every day you seem to find another way to steal my heart even more and remind me just how lucky I am to be yours.

I know that our love is strong enough to withstand the toughest of trials. It already has. It made it through 282 days of war.  And you were worth every single lonely night.

I promise to support your dreams, to love you and only you for all of my days. I promise to be honest with you always give you the very best of me because that’s what you deserve. I promise to laugh with you, respect you and to listen to your ideas with an open mind. I promise to always leave the pizza rolls in the oven until they explode because you like them like that. I vow to love you unconditionally for who you are and to protect your heart as if it were my own.

I am so honored to be your wife. I cannot wait to grow old with you, raise our children and achieve our dreams. Thank you for an incredible 848 days so far, I look forward to forever with you. I love you.

I like the highlighted. The rest is really sweet, but it sounds more like telling him what he means to you versus actual vows/promises.

Have you thought of exchanging letters before the ceremony? It could be a cool idea to put the rest of this in a letter and give it to him to read before your ceremony.
    *********************************************************************************

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2013

Here's my edits. I didn't pay attention to punctuation, as it doesn't really matter here, but you'll want to space it out to make sure you have proper pauses:

NAME, your loving heart, playful spirit and gorgeous baby blues blue eyes are just a few of the things that made me fall in love with you. Every day you seem to find another way to steal my heart even more and remind me just how lucky I am to be yours.

I know that our love is strong enough to withstand the toughest of trials. It already has. It made it through 282 days almost a year of war overseas deployment[? I'm assuming he's military?]. And you were worth every single lonely night.

I promise to support your dreams, to love you and only you for all of my days. I promise to be honest with you always give you the very best of me because that’s what you deserve. I promise to laugh with you, respect you and to listen to your ideas with an open mind. I promise to always leave the pizza rolls in the oven until they explode because you like them like that. [write this to him in a letter...it's a little out of place with the seriousness of your vows] I vow to love you unconditionally for who you are and vow to protect your heart as if it were my own.

I am so honored to be your wife become your wife today [I'm assuming you aren't married yet?] I cannot wait to grow old with you, raise our children and achieve our dreams. Thank you for an incredible 848 days journey so far, I look forward to forever with you. I love you.

• Thank you everyone I will keep all of that in mind :)

• Hello ladies !

My comments in parentheses:

I know that our love is strong enough to withstand the toughest of trials. It already has. It made it through 282 days of war.  And you were worth every single lonely night. (Lose the first two paragraphs.  It's not a vow and extends this out too long.  Save it for when you're in private.)

I promise to support your dreams, to love you and only you for all of my days. I promise to be honest with you always give you the very best of me because that’s what you deserve. I promise to laugh with you, respect you and to listen to your ideas with an open mind. I promise to always leave the pizza rolls in the oven until they explode because you like them like that.  (Lose the inside joke.  Your guests won't understand it and it comes off as frivolous during wedding vow exchanges.) I vow to love you unconditionally for who you are and to protect your heart as if it were my own.

I am so honored to be your wife. I cannot wait to grow old with you, raise our children and achieve our dreams. Thank you for an incredible 848 days so far, I look forward to forever with you. (Again, save this for when you are in private.) I love you.

Sorry if it seems like I'm asking you to cut too much, but I'd limit wedding vows to promises-beyond that, it takes a long time to say and your guests are going to feel impatient with long speeches made to each other-especially if they contain inside humor.
  • My plan might be something you'd  be interested in....

We're having 2 people do readings (non-religious, not super long...probably both moms. 

Then FI and I will each read something we've prepared.  I plan to write mine entirely, I like to write, but I could see FI picking a meaningful reading or even a song (if he sings, there's no way I won't cry!!).  It is a chance to say something that is in our hearts that isn't really a "vow" (though I could see myself including a commitment to our love). 

Then we'd do the vows.  Personally, I like having matching promises.  The civil officiant had some nice vows but we may look a bit too.

I've mentioned it to FI and he seems cool with it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like the mention of the pizza rolls. I love it when couples add something that is a joke or thing between the two of them and make the guests giggle. But if you are doing a serious religious church wedding..I'd skip it.
  • There's a website for people who are renewing their vows that I suggest: idotaketwo.com
  • Actually, I liked the pizza roll thing. I think it will make your guests smile & it will be the most memorable thing about your vows long term. It's an inside joke that is now shared with your guests and something they will always relate as being special to your wedding. Plus, it shows that your really know him and love him and you are willing to compromise with exploding pizza rolls. Sorry, I think it's sweet. If you are writing your own vows in the first place, you already know not every word has to be dripping with super intensity and seriousness - especially if this is not who you are as a couple.I say write vows that reflect your own unique coupleness and that is what will make them special. Otherwise, just go with the whole pre-written usual. 
  • Mentioning the pizza rolls does add a little humor to it, but depending on the atmosphere, this might be a really good thing! Other than that, I teared at the rest.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards