October 2013 Weddings
Options

October 19th, fun fact!

I recently went through my desk calendar at work to note how far out the wedding was on a given month (silly I know). When I got to October there was The Sweetest Day listed on the 19th. I did a Google search and came up with this:

"Annually, on the third Saturday of October the United States celebrates Sweetest Day.

This tradition originated in Cleveland in 1922, when Herbert Birch Kingston, philanthropist, and a candy factory employee, decided to help the destitute orphans, poor people and all those who have wretched existence.

Kingston gathered a small group of residents, and with the help of his friends, they organized the distribution of small gifts to somehow support the hungry people who had been forgotten and ignored by the government.

During the first day of sweet movie star Ann Pennington distributed sweet gifts to 2200 Cleveland newspaper boys as a token of gratitude for their work.

Another popular film star Theda Bara distributed 10 000 boxes of chocolates to Cleveland hospital patients and to those who came to see her film in a local movie house."

We are still contemplating whether or not we will do a program but I thought this could be cute on the reverse side. Or maybe one on each table as a fun fact. Have any of you heard of this day? Do you think it would be cute to tie this into our wedding day?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: October 19th, fun fact!

• Options
    I've never heard of it, but that's a cute little tidbit!
  • Options
    I've heard of it, & from what I have seen, it's mainly a mid-west thing. IMO - it's just another excuse for girls to say "omg you didn't buy me chocolate/jewelry/a gift?" and get all huffy. Again, IMO, it is a fabricated "holiday" to encourage materialism. But hey. That's MO.
  • Options
    I think I like holidays that encourage materialism. FI has really good taste.  ;)

When we chose the 12th, my dad mentioned the sweetest day wondering if it was around the 12th, and thought that it had to do with weather (not candy.)  I think all-around, mid-October is a pretty time of the year (especially where I am in NJ). 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    SewInLoveWithDMB so people have heard of it! I am originally from the Midwest (South Dakota) and we have a lot of family in Illinois. Hopefully they would have heard of this too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    It might be cute to have a candy buffett table, or include a little piece of candy with your favor (or as your favor) with some play on words of sweetest day. Like, "Today is our Sweetest Day" or something. I dunno. A piece of taffy, a mint...anything small could do.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    What a great fact! @vainemerald I'm also from SD!! We had originally chose the 19th until we figured it was opening day of Pheasant Season (A state holiday here!) and we would have some upset family members and friends. So we opted for the 12th.
  • Options
    I am from the Cleveland area, and knew it was Sweetest Day!  We are doing a cookie buffet with a sign that says something like "it was so sweet of you to spend your Sweetest Day with us- please enjoy a sweet treat!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards