May 2014 Weddings

wedding dress shopping

Hi everyone!

I was wondering when it's too late to start shopping for bridal dresses. I have a good amount of weight that I'd like to lose before I start seriously shopping for my wedding dress. We are getting married May 31, 2014. Am I right in that if you're going to order your dress, you need to do it at least 6 months before the wedding? If so, that means I'll need to order by November. Thoughts?

Re: wedding dress shopping

• Yes, I do believe the latest to order a dress is 6 months, but I don't think it's too early to start shopping.  Even if you want/plan to loose weight (as am I), it's still a nice idea to just try on some dresses to get a feel for what styles you like best (a-line, mermaid, etc.).  I'm getting married May 2, 2014 and I just went dress shopping for the first time this past week, and I actually bought my dress!  I went to 2 stores, tried on about 10-12 different dresses and found one that I didn't want to take off and just didn't compare to the others (plus it looked amazing on and gave me such a great feeling!).  And now I have the perfect motivation to get my butt in motion to really work out!  While shopping, my MOH made a comment that a corset dress might have less alterations (as opose a dress with a zipper) as it can easily be made to fit you better by just tightening it -  so that's just something to keep in mind (eventhough my dress does have a zipper!).
    Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • When to order does depend a little bit on where you're getting it. If you're going to say, David's Bridal, it may not take as long. (I was told a few weeks for mine and it shipped a week after I ordered it.) However, if you go to a smaller specialty shop, it's probably going to take longer.

Also, I agree with PP on corset dresses. There's a lot more room to account for weight adjustments.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When to order does depend a little bit on where you're getting it. If you're going to say, David's Bridal, it may not take as long. (I was told a few weeks for mine and it shipped a week after I ordered it.) However, if you go to a smaller specialty shop, it's probably going to take longer.

Also, I agree with PP on corset dresses. There's a lot more room to account for weight adjustments.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree it does depend on where you are ordering. I figured I would start around August or September since I plan on doing bridals in march since it is really rainy in April here. I figured it will give me time to loose some weight, shop, and get alterations.
  • If you're ordering from a more expensive designer, you'll want at least six months.  Ideally, I'd like closer to 9 to feel comfortable.  Of course, if you're ordering a dress that somebody else has already worn, you could buy even closer to the date because they wouldn't have to make the dress for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm going in for my appointment in September.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • It depends on the designer of the dress from what I've heard at expos and shops. If you want a popular designer like Vera Wang from even a David's bridal they said it could take 20 weeks for it to come in. But I've spoken to a few other people that said 'house' (like the davids bridal brand) dresses would take less time to have ready.

We have the same date and I have a weight loss goal that I want to achieve before I get the dress because it could look totally different after weight loss. It not be the dress that flattering my new shape. I'm going at the end of October or November.

Good luck!

• Like everybody else has said, it will depend on where you go and what expectations you have for a dress.  I went shopping for my dress at one store- david's bridal, and found it that night!  I loved it and it turned out to be on super clearance, and I took it home with me for $100!
    Good luck on making your weight loss goal!  When it gets hard, just picture yourself walking down the aisle in a sweet dress looking fabulous :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards