Wedding Etiquette Forum

This really happened!

I work at a bridal salon.  These 2 young women (about 28-30 years old) came in with their mom because one of them needed to buy a bridesmaid dress.  I said, "Oh, which one of you needs fitted?"  The older one said, "We both do."  I looked at them with an obviously confused look on my face.  The mom explained that it was their younger brother getting married and one of the original BM's dropped out and whoever looked best in the dress was going to fill in.  I couldn't stop my jaw from dropping.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: This really happened!

• Ya know, it's one thing for brides and the WP to get wrapped up in stuff like this and not realize how crazy they are, but for the mother to blatantly encourage it like that is just sick and cruel. Did the girls seem bothered by it at all?
  • Wow. That's really unbelievable. I feel bad for these women!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Neither wanted to do it!  They both said they other one looked better.  In the end, I think it was the younger sister that ended up having to do it.  It seemed to me like they were all just over all of the wedding stuff and didn't feel like fighting the bride about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can't believe the mother was encouraging this crap.
  • Wow. That is horrible. It's hard to believe there are actually people like that in the world.

• That's just sad. I know it can be hard to say no to family but I would have run for the hills in this scenario. I blame the mother more than anyone.

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• Maybe the BM dress will *accidentally* get set on fire at some point and she won't be able to be in it. Ooops.
  • You say they walked in? As in, weren't tied up and dragged kicking and screaming against their will to play a role in this bizarre and awkward course of events?
  • MonBonPSU said:
    I work at a bridal salon.  These 2 young women (about 28-30 years old) came in with their mom because one of them needed to buy a bridesmaid dress.  I said, "Oh, which one of you needs fitted?"  The older one said, "We both do."  I looked at them with an obviously confused look on my face.  The mom explained that it was their younger brother getting married and one of the original BM's dropped out and whoever looked best in the dress was going to fill in.  I couldn't stop my jaw from dropping.
    Can't imagine why that happened...... 
    *********************************************************************************

• So which one looked better in the dress?  :)

• Yeah, who had the pleasure?

In a college, a bride classmate asked me if I thought a girl I was friendly in one of our classes with would replace someone in her bridal party, I said "I didn't realize you were close".

She said "Well, they are both fat". 
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Wow ... you have known some really horrible people, @muppetoverlord.
  • Yeah, who had the pleasure?

In a college, a bride classmate asked me if I thought a girl I was friendly in one of our classes with would replace someone in her bridal party, I said "I didn't realize you were close".

She said "Well, they are both fat". 
    Ew!

• Wow ... you have known some really horrible people, @muppetoverlord
    I hadn't even thought about that since college until today!  BTW... I don't remember if the bride asked that girl, or if the girl declined, but she didn't end up in the bridal party.

I don't know THAT many horrible people really.....most of my stories come from the same couple. They were just so ridiculous that they have provide a lifetime of faux pas anecdotes for your entertainment.  The rest are the smaller things that people did in their otherwise notsotacky wedding.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • I think it was the younger one that totally got the "honor."  It seemed to me that all three of them (sisters and mom) were just over all of it and wanted it to be over.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Man, if I were that younger sister, I think something would accidentally get dropped on that dress. Something that would leave a really giant stain. Oops. Or maybe I would sprinkle some catnip on it and let me cats go to town. Double oops.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards