Honeymoon Discussions
Options

ST Thomas/St John

Anyone recommend any nice resorts or have experience with traveling to the USVI? We are considering going for our HM in March. FI isn't a big sit around the beach all week type so we are hoping to go somewhere where we can experience tours or activities. Any other suggestions would be great as well :)

Re: ST Thomas/St John

• Options
    I'm not sure what your budget is, but the nicest resorts are the Ritz Carlton in St. Thomas and Caneel Bay in St. John. I have stayed at the Westin in St. John and Sugar Bay in St. Thomas. I MUCH preferred St. John over St. Thomas as the beaches are more pristine and it's not as crowded. St. John is 3/4 National Park and you can explore a lot of the island, so even though it's quiet, there is stuff to do!

• Options
    dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    The Carribbean is all about sitting around on beaches.  My DH doesn't like that either so we go on cruises because there are more activity choices. 
  • Options
    I just got back from a biz trip to St. John. It's very outdoors- and nature-focused, being a national park. Caneel Bay is a beautiful resort, but one of the main draws are the beaches (there are 7 of them on the property). But there are also a ton of tours (sailing to the nearby BVI is huge) as well as Cruz Bay, which is the main town. I'm happy to answer more St. John questions if you got 'em. Note that it can be kind of pricey, although flights are cheap if you're on the East Coast!

St. Thomas is more touristy (it's where the cruises dock). There are more things to do there like Coral World (aquarium), shopping, dining, that sort of thing. However, I much preferred the solitude of St. John, and we're considering a return trip for the honeymoon.
  • Options
    daba25daba25 member
    First Comment
    Thank you! I am on the East Coast but haven't actually looked into flight prices yet.
  • Options

Any vacation is what you make of it. The nice thing about going to a location like that is that you can do as little or as much as you want. it is completely up to you and your fiance. If you want to completely relax on the beach you can do that or if you want to see locals, do some activities there are options to do that stuff as well.

• Options
    There is also a Marriott on St. Thomas with beautiful views. The Morning Star part of the hotel isn't as updated, but you can walk out your door to the beach.
  • Options
    I've stayed at the Morningstar side of the Marriott... our room was beautiful, left the door open with the screen and could hear the waves crashing at night from bed. And there is that fun Cuban-inspired restaurant right there.

I actually felt the Frenchmen's Reef side (which is up on the cliff) was a little dated. But that was 5 years ago. I believe they offer all-inclusive meal plans too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards