October 2013 Weddings

Buying wedding ring online

Is anyone in favor of this? We live in a resort town and the jewelry shops tend to be really expensive. I was in one recently and picked out a ring to go with my past, present, future engagement ring since it was not part of a set. The 1/2 carat ring I tried on the store was $1700! I found a similar one on sale at Amazon for 62% off that was around $375. I went ahead and ordered it and apparently it is going to take a month to arrive! I will wait patiently and hope it looks as nice with my ring as the on in the store did.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Buying wedding ring online

• I was going to buy my wedding band from Amazon, it is diamonds and sapphires.  However, to stay really under budget I purchased just a plain band from JCP.  We agreed that he would buy it next year for our anniversary!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • My FI bought his wedding ring online.  My only concern was he didn't get to try it on, and with the material his ring is, he couldn't get it sized.  He ended up buying the same one in a different size, and never returned the other so he has two!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Go for amazon...I was going to do amazon - but called my jeweler who did my engagement ring amd they told me he could do what I wanted for a cheaper price...granted I'm getting a plain white gold band :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I personally wouldn't go through Amazon, but Blue Nile has amazing diamonds and jewelry, high quality and great prices.  They are very reputable, and I know a few people got their e-rings there.
  • I normally buy lots of things online, but I might be hesitant to buy really nice jewelry.

FI took me to the store where he bought my E-ring, and I was able to find a wedding that is more than a 1/2 carat in diamonds for less than $1000. (It also came with a write up on the quality of the stones and size of them - there are 9 diamonds total in the band.) In some instances, I think online is more expensive. The jewelry store we went to is a local store, who doesn't need to make his prices really high.

I originally went to TIffany as well to see what they suggested, and they were more than double for 1/4 carat band.  But, it was nice to hear their suggestions and what style of wedding band would match my ring. (I have a set up high solitaire, 6 prong)

And, as I was shopping, I noticed that rings that look "similar" aren't always so - the thickness of the band, size of diamonds, etc all vary from ring to ring.

Are there any jewelry stores in surrounding cities? I'd worry about quality in an online store where you can't see it. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I purchased my ring from an ebay shop owner.. it was 14k white gold with small diamonds in the same pattern as my Ering. The manufactuer was out of China and I was a little worried about it, but the shop had 100% feedback and great reviews, so I risked it. Got a great price (was even able to haggle him down a little to fit my budget.) When it came in,  it was absolutely beautiful and definately worth the money I paid for it.

We got FI's ring off Amazon.. solid white gold band.. identical to the one we saw at the jewelers.. and $400 cheaper. Came in quickly and it's perfect.

I say go for it.. Amazon sometimes exaggerates their delivery times.. so it may come in sooner than you think. Make sure you read product reviews and check the seller's feedback rating.

• My FI's rings came from JVL. My ring ended up being custom, but we were going to buy a plain palladium ring from Amazon.
  • My e-ring and wedding band and FI's wedding band all were ordered online. We used James Allen, and I love them! The quality is great, they're beautiful, I can't recommend them highly enough.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • We both used Etsy (different sellers) and love our rings. My engagement ring was bought online, too. WAY cheaper!
  • While I liked this idea in theory it did not work out for me. I ordered two rings online. The first was a 1/4 karat eternity band which did not compliment my ring. So then I thought I should go bigger. Once I received my refund from the first ring I ordered a 1/2 karat right in a similar style as stated originally. It came last Friday (way sooner than expected) and it was the same problem! It just didn't look good with my engagement ring. So I went to the mall over the weekend and found some really good Labor Day sales and picked one up that was right around my budget. It is 1/3 karat ring, so it's right in the middle of the first two. I think being able to try them on was the main factor in choosing the right one for me. While I am still in favor of buying online I would have to do more research the next go around. I have included a picture of the ring I love!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards