Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

husband is from mexico, how can i make him feel closer to home?

my almost husband was born in mexico and most his family other then a few brothers is there how and I incorporate his backround and also make him feel closer to his family with them being so far away?

Re: husband is from mexico, how can i make him feel closer to home?

• Options

we are getting married in Wisconsin, isn't very close to mexico so idk how to make it fit both of our

heritages.

• Options
    Ask him how he wants to incorporate his background.
  • Options
    I would ask him. Don't find some random thing online since it doesn't hold meaning to you. 
  • Options
    I would ask him some.customs and traditions differ from Different parts of mexico. So its hard for us to tell what he's used to.
  • Options
    Agree with PPs. Here are some ideas to get you started though: Mexican food, maybe a Mexican color scheme, Mexican music.
  • Options
    Has he SAID that he wants Mexican culture incorporated into your wedding?  Ask him.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Do some research on different mexican wedding traditions. Share your findings with him. I'm sure that you want to honor his culture would mean a lot to him and you can ask him if he wants to incorporate any of them into your wedding.

Idea for surprise gift for him. If he has a lot of relatives who are not going to be able to make it to the wedding, say like his brothers, see if you can get a family member down there to go around & make a video of everyone wishing him well. Then give it to him to watch privately.

• Options
    Ideas IF he wants it: food, colors, family traditions, Skype his family, etc
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    My fiance is Mexican as well, although he doesn't really identify as much with the culture as the rest of his family. We still think it is important to bring at least a little of the Mexican culture (and my Italian culture as well) into our special day.

There are Mexican ceremony traditions, but they tend to be religious (which he and I are not). So far, we've considered doing a modified/secular wedding lasso/hand-fasting type thing. They both touch on the symbolic "tying together" of bride and groom. We're also trying to incorporate some Mexican food options as well. I, personally, really like the idea of a cigar roller. It's not exactly Mexican "culture" per se, but and I can really picture the men on both sides of our families enjoying a good cigar to celebrate!
  • Options
    My FI is Mexican-American and to incorporate his culture we are having a Mariachi band for cocktail hour and Latin inspired appetizers (empenadas, ahi tostadas)  and we are doing the lasso/arras in our ceremony. For reception we are doing the more American style with a formal platted dinner and having a DJ, so it has a mix of what my family expects from a wedding and what his family expects from a wedding.

I would definitely talk to your FI to see what traditions he would like to see. You might have luck on the Latino board for more ideas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards