Wedding Etiquette Forum

Invitation question

Not sure that this is really an etiquette question, per se, but do you send invitations to close friends who live out of state knowing they likely won't be able to come? I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but don't want to appear gift grabby either.

Re: Invitation question

• In general, always invite truly good friends- even if they live far away.
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Sure, you can invite them! An invitation is a question, not a summons. Now, you should budget and plan for everyone coming, even if they're far away. That way you won't be panicking about budget or space if they surprise you and RSVP yes. We had a few we were sure would say no, and they came anyway!
    "I give you this ring as a symbol of my vow, and with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you."image
    July 12, 2013
  • If you want them there you should send an invite. You don't know their situation, they may be able to come. If they can't they will know that they were thought of. Give them the option :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! We both have several friends that live pretty far and doubt they would be able to come for other reasons than financially, and we certainly don't want to hurt them.
  • Another knottie who I have become VERY close with invited me to her wedding and we have never met and she knows that I very regretfully cannot attend due to me planning my own wedding a year after hers.
    Anniversary
  • Yup. We knew for a fact that a couple of H's family members and close friends couldn't make it but we still wanted them to know they were invited. People aren't obligated to give gifts if they don't go so I really don't think it looks gift grabby.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards