Latino Weddings

Dominican/Southern Wedding

SO Here's the deal:

I'm Dominican and my fiance is American with all of his family being from the carolinas. 

I'm planning for a very rustic outdoor wedding complete with stringed lights and mason jars. One of his best friends has an Indie/Bluegrass band which just goes perfect with the theme
(But I need to make a playlist for when they take breaks) 

I need to make sure my family feels comfortable and not like they were just forgotten. 
They will actually only be about 10% of the guests there because strangely enough my family is very small. 

Has anyone done anything like this before? How should I mix Country and oldies with Merengue, Bachata, and Salsa Music??

any ideas would be very much appreciated. 

Thank you!!

Re: Dominican/Southern Wedding

• d2vad2va member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    I would just shove it in there! Who give a poo! ;)

I guess that you would want to start with a slower song, and then get the  upbeat stuff going.

Also, I would suggest that you start off with songs that the majority of people know so that its a bit smoother! 

• That's true... so what Spanish songs can a lot of gringos dance to ? Lol am I going to have to bust out the macarena ?
  • That's true... so what Spanish songs can a lot of gringos dance to ? Lol am I going to have to bust out the macarena ?
  • When the band takes a break, have a dj or playlist ready to play that is a mixture of the genres you list above for the Latino guests.  You may have a dj give you a cd of about 16 popular songs (or buy it - should not be more than $20).  A lot of Americans do like the macarena, but they dance well to merengue as well.  You probably know someone who could take a few minutes and teach them the merengue steps - that would be a blast and have both sides dance to this music.  

Set it up in "sets"
    first your dance wedding song
    song for mom/dad
    song for you and bridal party
    change to song (American and fun/romantic like Barry White) everyone will dance to
    Have your band play a 20 minute set and revert to 4 or 5 Latino songs, 2 salsa, 1 merengue, 1 bachata, 1 reggaeton
    Have your band play again, etc.
    Do incorporate an American pop song after each set because all people love American pop music.
  • I am from TN marrying a man from Venezeula. We plan on having 2 bands...one for Jazz Standards and one for Salsa. Personally, I love the Latin tradition of the "Hora Loca". You could do the "Hora Loca" for mixed company and throw out Mardi Gras beads, glo-in-the-dark bracelets, whistles, tiaras...that's when you throw on the best Latin party tunes and go crazy on the dance floor!
  • That's a great idea, Jazzyliza
  • We are planning on doing it...and I think everyone will love it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards