New Jersey

New here! Looking for affordable ideas in North Jersey

Hello! This is my first post since we got engaged in February; we've just decided to plan a big wedding instead of an intimate backyard affair. My sister has been on the Knot/Nest since well before her wedding seven years ago, and she loves the community. She's actually posed this question to her longtime "Nesties" and gotten some great responses, but I thought I'd join in the discussion here and ask for some advice from others who are also in the planning stages of their own weddings.

I'll try not to be annoyingly detailed or long-winded...here goes: we're in north Jersey (Boonton, near Parsippany) and we're looking to have between 120-150 guests (144 is the exact number for our preliminary list- HUGE but close families) and spend under $10K if possible. We're also set on a Saturday wedding, full bar or wine/beer, dance floor with a DJ, and that's basically it. We already have an officiant, my brother-in-law, and we'll get married at the site where the reception is held. All the decorations, flowers, etc. will be DIY and are more or less already figured out. We may not even hire a professional photographer since a close friend of ours really, really wants to do it and can recruit her brother to help so she can dance and enjoy...and honestly, all the photos we've seen from our family and friends' weddings in the last year or so have been taken by guests, not the photographer they paid $4K to shoot the event. I apologize if that sounds terrible, but it's one expense we're willing to forego. Same with hair, nails, and lots of details that are beautiful, but we really can't afford if we want the big party.
My dress is under $300 from J. Crew, and my fiance and the groomsmen will be wearing nice shirts, khakis, and flip-flops. My future SIL got married two weeks ago in a wedding 3x our budget, and one of her bridesmaids lost her dress in a fire a week before the shower. They ended up finding dresses for $12 at Old Navy last minute, and I didn't even know that until they told me. So I'm confident that we can minimize most of the expenses that could easily add up to our overall budget.

So really what it comes down to is the site itself, the caterer/drinks, and DJ. Some of the sites we're considering are White Meadow Lake in Rockaway, NJ and Rutgers Gardens. Both seem low-key and affordable, while offering nice scenery. That's basically it in a nutshell...we're more open to outdoorsy venues and even county parks than large venues like the VFW/Elks/Knights of Columbus, etc. We're not picky about food- it just has to be decent and palatable to everyone...we'd be totally thrilled with a caterer that does a basic barbeque. We're in our thirties and most of our siblings, cousins and close friends have kids that will probably make up 1/3 of the guest list, so a simple menu would be better than a more elegant, gourmet style menu in that regard. It's really just about having a big party in a pretty place, and I've been pleasantly surprised by what I've found so far that could really work with our limited budget.

ALL suggestions are very welcome! Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!

Re: New here! Looking for affordable ideas in North Jersey

• I'd like to recommend a great DJ for you: Mike Chieffo from DJMC. He is a true entertainer for all ages, so he will make sure everyone is having a great time, even all the kids. 
  • Thanks! I'll give them a call for pricing!
  • Welcome and congrats!

For venues, I would suggest looking at the Brownstone in West Paterson.  They were REALLY accommodating for us with budget (basically said, "tell us your budget and we'll make it work."), the food is amazing, and they are very flexible as far as menu options.  They have some nice outdoor areas as well as two conservatories, where you feel like you're outside even though your're not (which is great if it rains!)

As far as DJs, I have to recommend D'Amico Entertainment. I got the DJ Alive package, which might be a little out of your price range, but it was incredible!  He also offers less expensive options and I doubt you'd be disappointed with any of them; Chris is really great to work with.  Let me know if you want his info and I'd be happy to PM it to you.

Good luck!
  • I'll definitely talk to both the Brownstone and D'Amico! Thanks for the recommendations! I'd really appreciate it if you could PM me the info for Chris. And my friend has close ties with the Brownstone, but thought it would exceed a price range of $80/pp with food and open bar. I'll ask anyway!

I think that barring any revelations, we've settled on our venue. After meeting with them today, it's well within our budget and absolutely beautiful! Our next hurdle is the caterer. They have plenty of recommendations, but the two I'd like to ask about are Kelly's Family Catering and Custodi's in Nutley. Both seem to be capable of coming in (no frills) at under $30/pp, with a $20-25/pp open bar tab at the venue itself. Anyone have reviews or opinions of these caterers?
  • You may also want to check out the Somerset Hills Hotel in Warren, NJ.  It's very pretty and I seem to remember their prices started at $75-80 pp including an open bar.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Although it seems like you're set on your venue, check out Black Bear and Ballyowen Golf Clubs, which are both Crystal Springs property. Black Bear offers wedding packages that start at $65/pp.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Rutgers Gardens isn't worth the money IMO. When I had looked into it the price for just the rental of the little log cabin thing and the pavilion was $2K and they strongly suggest you use their vendors whom I wasn't impressed with either.

Dividing $10K out by 150 guests you're getting approx. $66 to spend per person...Alcohol tends to tack on quite a bit of money and honestly your budget and guest list are pushing it. Vendors also up their price for Saturday weddings since its the 'prime night' for a wedding.

These places may be a little off key of the area your looking for but look into...
    Somerville Elks in Bridgewater, NJ...It looks nothing like a typical Elks, it also has a very nice patio and back yard area.

Gran Centurions in Clark, best pricing and bang for your buck.

Biagios in Paramus, very helpful with accommodating your budget.

Brownstone in Patterson has delicious food, is willing to work with your budget but is definitely not a 'casual' place.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • The Somerset Elks Lodge is really lovely & has very good prices.  Packages start at $19.99 pp (but that's without booze).  There is an Elk's Lodge in Boonton & the dance floor banquet area isn't that bad but there's no parking & I can't speak to the quality of the food. 

The Arlington in Mt Arlington near Lake Hopatcong has packages around $75 pp from what I remember.  If you have time check out the Hopatcong Elks on Howard Blvd.  It's not much to look at on the outside but the caterer is a fabulous cook for a very cheap price.  She can do food for under $25 pp & you'll never know it was that cheap. 

Do shop around for things.  I got my veil from valuveil.com for $12.99 including S&H.  In the photos no one can tell I didn't spend hundreds of dollars for it. 

For the florist, I gave a dollar figure (before tax) & color scheme then told her how many pieces I needed & let her work it out.  It was fine. 

I got my cake cutter / server at WalMart for $10.  In the photos the plastic looked like the $125 crystal set.  I also didn't care when I lost them in the hubbub after the wedding. 

• I just came back from the Brownstone in Paterson NJ the food was fabulous. I am a picky person who does not like a lot of stuff.
  • I would send the Brownstone.  They have great food.

Also, it might be a little far (I don't know if thats a huge concern)...but a lot of people don't know about the Conservatory at the Sussex County Fairgrounds in Augusta.  It's really not far from the Boonton/Parsippany Area (I work in that area and live in Sparta, 15 minutes from the fair grounds).

Here is their website: http://www.newjerseystatefair.org/conservatory/conservatory_family.cfm
    you can bring in your own caterer and I heard they only charge like 4k for the venue...which might even be negotiable.  The place is actually quite beautiful with patio etc. 

If you used them and wanted to do a BBQ menu you have some flexibility.  You would bring in your own caterer there so I would recommend the Homestead in Sparta OR Texas Smoke in Jefferson (which is awesome). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards