Offbeat Weddings
Options

Books in weddings?

I am a 100% book freak so it's only right that I add small touches into my wedding and I wondered if there are any other brides out there that are doing the same or if anyone has ideas. I have a few different things I'm going to be doing but I know some on you are so good at coming up with cool ideas and it can't hurt to ask.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Books in weddings?

• Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment

Many people have used bookes in their centerpieces. You could do tables themed like book genres, or titles.

You could make paper flowers using book pages.

Your menus and ceremony programs can be set up like a table of contents, with chapters.

You could carry your favorite book instead of flowers.

Your favors can be book related, such as a bookmark.

If you like fairytales you can do something using phrases like "once upon a time" and "and they lived happily ever after".

• Options
    kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I like gmcr78's ideas, except for the paper flowers using book pages, because I always cringe at the destruction of books . . . it's still a good idea, it just isn't something I could bring myself to do.

I like the idea of menus/programs being set up as the ToC!  That's a great idea!  And if you have signature cocktails or anything you could name them after your favourite books.  You could also have your tables named after your favourite books or characters. 

• Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    kerbohl said:
    I like gmcr78's ideas, except for the paper flowers using book pages, because I always cringe at the destruction of books . . . it's still a good idea, it just isn't something I could bring myself to do.

I like the idea of menus/programs being set up as the ToC!  That's a great idea!  And if you have signature cocktails or anything you could name them after your favourite books.  You could also have your tables named after your favourite books or characters. 
    Ditto!  I usually cringe when I hear this, however on one of the last threads I read which mentioned this, the poster also mentioned that the books had been damaged and would have been thrown away anyway, so it was a way to repurpose them. And that I'm ok with! :)
  • Options
    We are doing a cake that looks like books :D.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    FI and I are getting married in a library, and we are making book page confetti.from a ruined book. 

There are a few tutorials on Tumbler for making book page shoes. 

Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Some of out centerpieces include books with romantic loving titles.
  • Options
    out-of-date reference books that have been sitting on library shelves forever/arent in great shape often go that way! I briefly flirted with the idea of doing my wedding in the old library I used to work in, but my FI isnt much of a library guy and it didnt seem so fair. would have been beautiful though
  • Options

Not really an offbeat-er here, just visiting, but def a book lover.  I'd LOVE a book theme, but FI doesn't share the joy (more space for my books!).  Anyway, I am loving this item and want to find a way to use it as a pretty item and a nod to my book nerd heritage

http://www.etsy.com/listing/86605550/home-decor-paper-heart-garland?ref=tre-2724683088-2

Wedding Decoration Romantic Shakespeare Garland Beige Cream Books

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
                                    A friend of a friend had the WP carry their favorite book instead of flowers. The were asked to make it a hardback copy and to leave the dustjacket off so the covers weren't distracting.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MajideMajide member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment

kerbohl said:

Same here.  I saw a neat photo on pinterest using lavender as the toss stuff for the exit at a wedding, and it was inside these cones made from pages of books.

I have a Lord of the Rings book that was damaged, and the first few chapters just fall out.  I said we could use it.  But after looking at it, and looking at the chapters, I don't know if I can bring myself to actually finally destroy it.  I know it's bad now, but it's not done for.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are getting married in Nov. and have a love story theme. We have a lot of books and references to books. 

I don't like the thought of ripping up old books either. I made paper flowers just by printing love quotes in a fancy font on paper and then using a flower template to put them together. They actually came out really well. 
    For our centerpieces we have books clumped and stacked in the center with an oil lamp and a table picture instead of a table number. 
    Our invites looked like a story book page and the replies looked like an old library card that used to always be in the books...now i don't think they use them anymore. On the back of both the invite and reply cards was the same love quotes. I printed them all myself on some craft paper (its the same exact paper you get from minted) with some coupons 
    Our programs will have the same feel as the invites with using the same fonts and theme. they will look like a book and be bound simply by folding the paper in half and sewing it together. I did a trail run, its not hard and looks really nice (as long as you get the tension right). 
    The story aspect is also going to be incorporated into our ceremony with the officiant telling our story before we say our vows. 
    We are utilizing other methods of story telling as well. Our Save the Dates resembled movie posters (one looking like a nice chic flick and the other with my fiance as Superman). 
    I also made a guest book that is a photobook from shutterfly so that our friends and family can record their favorite stories. 
    I am getting very excited, everything is turning out really well (knock on wood). i would post pics but shhhhh....i'm at work right now...
  • Options
    Instead of destroying books. Type out parts of stories that *you* like and make THEM into flowers. No book destroying AND you get the "book" reference
  • Options

I have seen about 3 books stacked on each other (either vintage-looking ones, or ones you really love) with a mason jar of flowers on top for centrepieces, it looked cute!

It's cool you're incorporating books into your wedding, love that idea!

• Options
    For those concerned about destroying books, there are many ways to get books that are headed for the dumpster anyway. 

For example, have you ever seen the message in mass market paperbacks, "If you purchased this book without a cover...it was reported as unsold and destroyed to the publisher"? When books don't sell, bookstores or book distributors strip off the covers and return them to the publisher as evidence they have been destroyed. All those stripped books are trashed or recycled. I work for a book distributor and we strip thousands of books every day....and we'd happily give a few boxes of them to brides/crafters. 

Libraries, charity shops, and antique stores are also options. Books just get to a point when they're not readable or sellable. I've even seen pinterest boards from libraries with pins of bookish crafts....and if anyone is going to be horrified by unnecessary book destruction, it's a librarian! :)

Really, you don't have to go pull your favorite copy of Pride & Prejudice or The Hunger Games off the shelf and use it for crafts!
  • Options
    We bought an old encyclopedia at a garage sale for about $1 and I used that to make the book petal flowers in the pic! It was outdated info so I didn't feel bad cutting it up.
  • Options
    My original plan was story book like invitations with a short story about how we got together in the beginning and the end of it was the wedding invitation. 
  • Options
    Trust me, if the pages are falling out of a book, it is a-ok to use those and the rest of the pages in it to do your project. The way books are published, especially mass market paperbacks, they aren't meant to last for more than a dozen reads, much less a lifetime. 

In the (public) library world, we call this ephemera. Sometimes we're snobs that use stupid library words. But mostly we like to make sure people have books that are in good shape and we don't hesitate to weed books out of the collection or reuse books that haven't been used for other purposes. 

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards