Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Can we have a wedding shower?

The details:
My FI and I have lived together for over a year, and each brought two children into the relationship. We own a home and both have solid careers. He is over 40, I'm in my 30's. This is my first wedding, but not his. We have some nice things, but the majority of our house is a blend of what he had left from a previous divorce and what I had left from being a single mom. We may not be "just starting out" in life necessarily, but we are very much starting out together.

Someone close to me recently asked if I was going to have a wedding shower, because "we don't need anything and already live together". I am now questioning myself on wanting one and feeling guilty about it. At the same time, I am really bummed that people may feel we have to give up having a shower because why...we had kids first? Or because we lived together first? Most weddings we go to lately the couple has lived together for quite some time and it has never struck me as odd to attend their shower. I know as a parent how often (ie: always) you put yourself and your spouse's needs/wants last, so I will admit I was excited to get to have our OWN wish list and party.

Also, we have had to put a lot of money into the house over the past year, so we haven't been able to upgrade much of anything (except all the kids things and rooms). Our towels, dishes, sheets, curtains (what we even have) need replacing. He doesn't have a large family and they are mostly out of town and wouldn't come, so I don't have to worry about the "they've been there done that" for him. My family has never been down this road with me before.

Is it wrong to have a shower? Someone else suggested we have a couples get-together instead, or a Home Depot gift card party. I suppose that's fine. We have a love/hate relationship with Home Depot. We love it, but we hate how much time we spend there. I can't see getting excited about more home improvements for a wedding shower.

Feeling guilty :(

Re: Can we have a wedding shower?

• Options
    erkole said:
    The details:
    My FI and I have lived together for over a year, and each brought two children into the relationship. We own a home and both have solid careers. He is over 40, I'm in my 30's. This is my first wedding, but not his. We have some nice things, but the majority of our house is a blend of what he had left from a previous divorce and what I had left from being a single mom. We may not be "just starting out" in life necessarily, but we are very much starting out together.

Someone close to me recently asked if I was going to have a wedding shower, because "we don't need anything and already live together". I am now questioning myself on wanting one and feeling guilty about it. At the same time, I am really bummed that people may feel we have to give up having a shower because why...we had kids first? Or because we lived together first? Most weddings we go to lately the couple has lived together for quite some time and it has never struck me as odd to attend their shower. I know as a parent how often (ie: always) you put yourself and your spouse's needs/wants last, so I will admit I was excited to get to have our OWN wish list and party.

Also, we have had to put a lot of money into the house over the past year, so we haven't been able to upgrade much of anything (except all the kids things and rooms). Our towels, dishes, sheets, curtains (what we even have) need replacing. He doesn't have a large family and they are mostly out of town and wouldn't come, so I don't have to worry about the "they've been there done that" for him. My family has never been down this road with me before.

Is it wrong to have a shower? Someone else suggested we have a couples get-together instead, or a Home Depot gift card party. I suppose that's fine. We have a love/hate relationship with Home Depot. We love it, but we hate how much time we spend there. I can't see getting excited about more home improvements for a wedding shower.

Feeling guilty :(

If someone OFFERS to throw you a shower, you can absolutely accept.

Do not, under any circumstance, throw your own shower...especially a gift card shower. Tacky and rude.

• Options
    If someone offers to throw you a shower and you want to have a shower then no it is not wrong at all to have one.  But you cannot throw your own.  A lot of couples live together and have kids together before they get married so that is a dumb reason that your friend or whoever gave you.

But whatever you do you cannot throw your own party where gifts or gift cards are involved.  If no one offers to throw you one then you just don't get one.

• Options
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a shower. You shouldn't feel guilty about it at all. 

Etiquette-wise, however, it's not polite to host your own shower. Also, a Home Depot gift card party would also be in poor taste. If you're hoping for monetary gifts, the best (and proper) solution is to register for very few items and have the host of your shower spread the word that you & FI are looking to do some renovations around the house.
  • Options

Erkole - showers are gifts from others.  So, if someone offers to throw you a shower, it is perfectly polite and appropriate for you to accept.  Since the purpose of a shower is for the invitees to "shower" you with gifts, the invitees should not be expected to provide gift cards or cash.  However, it is appropriate for you to register and to provide the registry information to the invitees so they know what items you need/want. 

There is no need for you to feel guilty about wanting a shower.  Hopefully, a friend or family member will offer to host one for you.

• Options
    I should have mentioned that my mom has offered to throw us a shower. :)

• Options
    When my friend got married she received similar advice as you. She was told not to register, that it was rude or tacky because they'd been living together for awhile and had a child.

She ended up creating a small registry, anyway. She figured, worse comes to worse, maybe people will take the hint and give her cash.

She had a shower and she received some great gifts.... but nothing she really needed, per se. She could have used some serious upgrades.

I'm going to give you the advice I should have given her, Register for some upgrades and for some items you don't have to rig to make work.
    I had kept my mouth shut when her mother was telling her she shouldn't register at all and I should have spoken up.

Not to mention the fact that some of your items were acquired during a divorce. Not that you have to get rid of everything from the previous marriage, but it's nice to start over fresh.

And, yeah, his family might have been down this road before but for your family, and more importantly, for YOU, it's your first (only!?) wedding. His family doesn't have to go through this again if they choose not to, but the option shouldn't be taken away from you.

• Options
    The reason it's tacky to throw your own shower is because it's seen as asking for presents (showers are for "showering" the bride in gifts). So if someone offers, absolutely take them up on it if you want to. 

If you have a shower, it's smart to create a registry - showers are for boxed gifts since it's never polite to ask for money (gift cards, cash showers are asking for money). There's always stuff you can register for - towels, sheets and other linens wear out; dishes, glasses and serve ware break (esp if you have kids), some people think it's nice to pass down china to their kids, other upgrades to stuff you already own, etc. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    erkole said:
    I should have mentioned that my mom has offered to throw us a shower. :)

Then there's no reason not to.  Ignore your Debbie-downer friend; there's no age limit or # of children limit to being able to have a bridal shower. 
  • Options

if your mom is offering up a shower, you can take it - but create a registry.  i give cash at weddings 99% of the time, but i would NEVER give cash (or a gift card) as a shower gift.  Showers are for physical gifts that you can unwrap.  So if you're only having a shower because you are hoping for cash/gift cards, you will likely be disappointed.

definitely register for upgrades - FI and i have been living together for 7 years, but all of our dining-ware is hand me downs from our parents that we've had since college (which we graduated 8 years ago), most of our towels are from college still, our sheets are several years old, etc - even though you live together i'm sure you can think of some stuff you'd like to upgrade.  register for it.

• Options
    If someone is offering to throw you a shower, you can certainly accept.  You just can't throw one of your own.
  • Options
    If someone offers you a shower, and you want to accept, why not?  You've never been married before and have never had a bridal shower. That doesn't get changed just because he's been married before. Decide what you need to upgrade and what new things you'd like to have and register!  Families need lots of towels.  You guys need new sheets. You need stuff to cook with and dishes and silverware to serve food on. Things that reflect you and your husband, not your previous relationships. And a few fun things never hurt anyone.  Only things I'd not register for are things that are just for the kids - like toys, bedroom stuff, etc.  Things should be primarily for you.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! You have definitely settled my nerves on this. I certainly hope that the majority of the guests have feelings such as yours.

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards