Second Weddings

young bride but 2nd wedding dilemma

Hello everyone! I'm a second time bride but I'm still relatively young (i'll be 28 when I marry) and wanted to know whether it was appropriate to have a big wedding. (my first wedding was at the JOP) My FH hasn't been married before and wants the big to-do as well as both of our mothers. What do you guys think?

Re: young bride but 2nd wedding dilemma

• Well when my DH and I married we were 20 years older than you and had the formal wedding, for us it was a big to-do and we had family support.  My MIL would have liked for the guest list to have been larger but she understood that we had a budget and that was all there was. 

You can have the wedding you want and can afford. So have fun and please if you want share your plans!

Congratulations and welcome to the board. 
  • You can absolutely have the big shebang if you want. Do it up!
  • I was pretty young when I got remarried (32) and it total does NOT matter what you did the first time around. As PPs mention, do what you and your FI want! We actually did the opposite- had the big weddings that first time around and did not even want to consider doing something to that degree the second time around.

• I had a big second wedding. I did not have showers the second time around tho. I did not feel comfortable having them and thought it would appear gift-grabby. Otherwise I did the whole shebang. 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I'm currently planning my second wedding (second for my fiance as well). I completely agree that you should do whatever you want and have money to do. I personally have spent a lot of time thinking about what I didn't like about my first wedding, so that the second time around is more fun. For me, that means not letting my family and traditions take over. Spend some time with your fiance talking about what your dream wedding would be like, and try to get as close to that no matter what anyone else might say. Good luck!
  • I am glad to see so much support for a second big wedding. I will be 30 when I get remarried and have been feeling guilty and selfish for even thinking about having a big wedding like my FH wants to have. I already have so much negative judgment from my family about getting engaged so soon after getting divorced from my ex ( 2 years ago) that even thinking about a having a big wedding has been stressing me out.
  • I agree with the above posts! I am 32, which is older than you albeit, but I am having a big shebang (not luxury though) wedding because my fiance has never been married before. He felt that he would be denied something just because I made a mistake in choosing wrongly the first time because he always wanted a wedding. My mom also wanted me to have a wedding because my first wedding was very rushed and she was NOT happy about it. This time, she's happy about it.
  • I'm 26 and I will also be 28 when I get remarried (oh my god that's almost 30!!) and I also have been divorced for 2 years! Actually I've been separated for 2 years and some change I've only been legally divorced for a year and a half! I just got engaged and my FI wants to have a big wedding and we're going to do it! My family is on board and anyone who isn't doesn't have to come. I'm so happy to have found someone that I love so much and I want to celebrate the relationship we have in a way that makes us both happy. The differences I have found are that I'm planning on paying for everything myself where as the first time around I completely expected my dad too and I am not expecting some of my really out of town family to come, I will be having a shower because I didn't the first time! And I'm super excited for gifts! (I don't care how bad that sounds, I NEED a new blender!)
  • Bottom line: you don't need a rationale to have a big formal wedding.  It doesn't matter if you had one before, or not; whether you've been through the wringer or just fell out of love with a perfectly nice guy; or who agrees with your choice or who is shaking their head.  

Just hold your head high, plan what you want, be a great hostess, and have fun.  (Hosting your own shower is bad etiquette, but if someone else hosts, it's just fine to have one.)  ~Donna

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards