October 2013 Weddings
Options

October Theme?

We decided to go with a Costume Theme wedding.  There are many people who thought this was a great idea and some that thought it was just strange.  Him and I will be dressed mostly formal with a few tweeks to resemble Mr. & Mrs. Frankenstein. We requested that our guest come in costume or will we have funny hats/mask for them to wear.  Ceremony and Reception all at one place. Casual DJ with food and drink. Wedding cake, halloween treats and maybe a few sur-prizes for our guest. Is this strange?  We invited 160 people and have 100 as of today. We are both in our 40's and LOVE Halloween . . .

Re: October Theme?

• Options
    Do a costume rehearsal.
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't do it - but to each their own. I know some people who absolutely LOVE Halloween and would do just this.  Me - personally, I'm excited we will be in a different country for Halloween.

My officiant actually got married at the Renaissance Faire and most people came dressed in costume - not everyone did though and no one felt odd or out of place.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Is your wedding around halloween? (Or on halloween?)

One of my close friends had a Friday night wedding that was halloween. She chose that date cause the venue gave her a really amazing deal (cause it wasn't a popular date.)

Her wedding was one of the more high end that I have attended - full Catholic mass, Badgley Mischka dress, expensive venue that overlooks water and the NYC skyline (even though they got it discounted), very delicious dinner, etc.  But, as the evening went on, they had tons of costumes and masks for the guests to use.  

The party turned quickly from high end elegance to a more wild party. Kids who were there changed into their full on costumes (the groom then changed into a priest costume, and another guest was a banana). I also remember seeing pirates and ninjas. This fit with their personality perfectly, but honestly, is not something I would have chosen.

If halloween is really your thing, then go for it! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options

We decided to go with a Costume Theme wedding.  There are many people who thought this was a great idea and some that thought it was just strange.  Him and I will be dressed mostly formal with a few tweeks to resemble Mr. & Mrs. Frankenstein. We requested that our guest come in costume or will we have funny hats/mask for them to wear.  Ceremony and Reception all at one place. Casual DJ with food and drink. Wedding cake, halloween treats and maybe a few sur-prizes for our guest. Is this strange?  We invited 160 people and have 100 as of today. We are both in our 40's and LOVE Halloween . . .

First Bolded: That is extremely rude to request your guests to come in costume. I would decline the invite.

Second Bolded: Yes

• Options
    I've been to costume themed weddings before and they were a lot of fun!  My BM did fun hats and masks at their wedding, all Disney themed as they are BIG Disney fans, and everyone had fun with that.

If that is your thing I saw go for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • Options
    Halloween is, bar none, my favorite holiday (yes, even over Christmas or my birthday).

I totally avoided a Halloween wedding. 

I'm also a playtron for most Ren Faires I attend or dance/perform at.

I totally avoided a Ren Faire wedding as well.

Because I just wanted a wedding without costumes and such without imposing on my friends and family more than I already was to take time out of their lives, to make a potentially long drive or flight, and spend the day watching me and mine be the center of attention.

To me, it seems unfair to ask your friends and family to get together costumes for your wedding.  And, I can understand why people would side-eye your theme.

As you'd read on the public forums; the theme is "marriage".  Celebrate Halloween on Halloween.  Celebrate your wedding on your wedding day.  Not as monsters.  Not in costumes. 

Although, I -LOVE- the idea of a costume rehearsal dinner as a PP mentioned!  LOVE IT!!
  • Options
    I went to a Mardi Gras wedding and it was AWESOME. Everyone came in costume to celebrate what we all thought was a perfect match. They are both a little quirky (in the best possible way).

It's not my bag - our wedding will be much more traditional - but it suited them perfectly, was a great ice-breaker for the guests and possibly the best party I've ever been to. Anyone who would decline to celebrate with you on your day, in your way - is missing out, in my opinion. Have the wedding you want to have and enjoy it. Congrats!
  • Options
    Whoa...did we get a DD? 
  • Options
    Thanks. I did ask for opinions. This is my second marriage. His first. We are both n our mid-40's and Love Halloween. Yes, our weeding is Oct. 25th which is close to Halloween.  We were going to wait until next year but both of his parents are in thier 80's and I was afraid they might miss it if we waited to long.
  • Options
    We did REQUEST and not REQUIRE our friends to dress in costume. . . it's up to them I guess. I read a great article that said I shouldn't stress about the food, venue, atire. . .  that if they really are my friends they would meet us anywhere and eat tic-tacs to celebrate our day if that was what we requested.
  • Options
    I think the person I quoted got banned @shaylagirl
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards