Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

What time do I put on the invitation?

AnewcaryAnewcary member
edited September 2013 in Wedding Invitations & Paper
What is the protocol for the start time! Do you put the actual time the ceremony starts or 30 minutes prior to start time? What do the wedding planners say

Re: What time do I put on the invitation?

• Options
    Absolutely put the time you intend to start the processional as the time on the invitation.   Some venue coordinators or event planners disagree.    Every etiquette expert (and many of us who believe in being prompt) believe in being truthful.

Intending to start late is one of the ruder things you can do.    If you tell me that the event starts at noon, I get there by 11:45.    If you don't intend to start until 12:30, you've made me wait for 45 minutes - tres rude! 
  • Options
    Why on Earth wouldn't you put the actual start time? I've never heard of anyone doing this. It'd be very rude to expect your guests to wait.
  • Options
    You put the time that your wedding starts.  It would be extremely rude to put an earlier time.  
  • Options
    Anewcary said:
    What is the protocol for the start time! Do you put the actual time the ceremony starts or 30 minutes prior to start time? What do the wedding planners say
    The protocol is to not waste people's time.  How would you feel if you had to sit around for half an hour because someone didn't believe you would show up on time?  There are few things that are more aggravating to me than people who waste my time.  Your guests are your friends and family.  Be kind to them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Etiquette states the time should be the actual time the processional begins. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    So your wedding is supposed to start at 7, and you put 6:30. I usually show up early, especially when I don't know where I'm going, so I get there at 6. And most weddings start late, which will extend my wait even more. You expect me to sit an hour for you, all because of one person who can't be on time? I'm liable to leave the reception early, open up your card and hit the nearest bar, or leave altogether. And you better hope I never find out you lied to me.
  • Options
    What everyone else said.  Put the ceremony start time.  Guests should understand they need to be there 15 minutes early.  If they are a perpetually late person, then they can wait to sit until after the processional.  Their loss.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I used a guideline from a professional wedding coordinator and put 5:00 pm as the start time, but we didn't actually start the ceremony till 5:15. Sure, some people got there early, but we definitely still had people trickling in after 5. During that 15 minute window, my father and uncles played music, so guests could watch them. They were standing around twiddling their thumbs.
  • Options
    How is this even a question? Put the time you're starting. It is so rude to start late. If people trickle in late, that's their problem. Don't be rude to your guests who cared enough to show up on time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Would you believe this is a trend on Broadway now? Show times are listed as 30 minutes prior to when they really start! ::sarcasm font::
  • Options
    emmyg65 said:
    I used a guideline from a professional wedding coordinator and put 5:00 pm as the start time, but we didn't actually start the ceremony till 5:15. Sure, some people got there early, but we definitely still had people trickling in after 5. During that 15 minute window, my father and uncles played music, so guests could watch them. They were standing around twiddling their thumbs.
    We also have a professional wedding planning (this is round 2 with her as we used her for out last DD's wedding too) and she highly counsels against this and feels, as I do, that is is very rude to tell people an earlier time than when you are starting.  Late guests can be accomodated (by said wedding planner) once the processional is finished.
  • Options
    kmmssg said:

emmyg65 said:

We also have a professional wedding planning (this is round 2 with her as we used her for out last DD's wedding too) and she highly counsels against this and feels, as I do, that is is very rude to tell people an earlier time than when you are starting.  Late guests can be accomodated (by said wedding planner) once the processional is finished.

Hooray for your wedding planner kmmssg.

Why do we as a society penalize those who are prompt and reward those who are tardy?
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    emmyg65 said:
    Hooray for your wedding planner kmmssg. Why do we as a society penalize those who are prompt and reward those who are tardy?
    As a stickler for being on time- AMEN!
    I'm a big believer that when you make someone else wait what you are really saying is, "My time is more valuable than yours."
  • Options
    svc2014 said:
    banana468 said:
    emmyg65 said:
    Hooray for your wedding planner kmmssg. Why do we as a society penalize those who are prompt and reward those who are tardy?
    As a stickler for being on time- AMEN!
    I'm a big believer that when you make someone else wait what you are really saying is, "My time is more valuable than yours."
    SUCH a peeve of mine!  I also feel the same way when someone starts something early.    If I'm on time then don't glare at me for being late!   
  • Options
    Put the ceremony start time as the time on the invitation.

Putting anything else is rude.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards