Not Engaged Yet
Options

UPDATE: Apology and Thank You UPDATE: Job Interview (Vent)

psychbabe314psychbabe314 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited September 2013 in Not Engaged Yet
I put in for a promotion at work, almost 6 weeks ago... They decided to hold off on interviews for the position until they found a new supervisor for the department. A supervisor has now been found (2 weeks ago) and she approached me yesterday to let me know that my interview would be Thursday or Friday! I am really excited, I would love to have this position. It would be a raise, which I absolutely need, and it would be going into a position that is way less manual labor than my current position. In fact, this position is considered pretty lush and slow paced :-)

As far as I know, there are two people putting in for the position. Another older man from my department who is currently having issues in his current spot. He gets constant complaints and my current supervisor has been trying to get him transferred somewhere else since he got transferred in. He is slow, does not know how to perform his job correctly, and has to have extra one-on-one training because of this. Now, he supposedly use to work in the department that we are both putting in for, but he was scheduled there last week for a few hours and within 20 minutes of him starting it was apparent that he had no clue what he was doing. He came over to me and asked if I would walk him through how to put in an order (I have the basic knowledge and have put in several orders these past few months, all of which I have attained copies of to show to the manager at my interview)

Now, I know this sounds bad but if I do not get the position and this other man does, I will probably be looking for a new job. If someone else gets the position besides him or me, then I will accept it. But... I would be really upset if he got the position. He is incompetent in his current position while I have GREAT reviews. But, my current supervisor has basically told me that she is pushing for this other guy to get it so that she can get someone else in his position. I don't know, it is upsetting that he could get the position when I have been working so hard since I heard that the position would be opening up and I really do have supervisors that are backing me up and saying that I deserve the position, plus one of the managers (not the one in charge though).

Any advice on this upcoming interview? I can't wear dress clothes because the interview is taking place during my shift so I will have to wear dress code and make sure I am adhering to it. Or, any advice from people who had a similar situation? What ended up happening? What did you do?

Thanks! Sorry for the long rant! I am just super nervous!

Re: UPDATE: Apology and Thank You UPDATE: Job Interview (Vent)

• Options
    Good luck! All you can do is present yourself in the best possible light. If I were hiring and I heard that you were concerned he might get this job when you feel he isn't qualified, it would reflect poorly on you. I would just keep that in mind as you're talking around the office.
  • Options
    Ya, I usually keep my mouth shut except to two close friends who I know will keep it to themselves. Just to vent once in awhile, but outside of work. Never where we could be overheard :-)
  • Options
    I had the interview yesterday and I think it went extremely well. She had me act out a sale with her and after she mentioned that I was the only one who hit all of the checkpoints she had been looking for! Crossing my fingers that next week will bring good news!
  • Options
    I did not get the job. I was informed on Monday that they decided to go in a different direction. So my response was "Thank you for the consideration. Is there anything I could have done differently to have gotten the position? I would like to know for future reference." And what was I told? I was told nothing. I was told that I had an amazing interview, strong skills, and that in the end it was not up to the supervisor. The store manager had made the final decision. I was so confused... Then, I heard that my current supervisor went to the store manager and begged him not to put me in another department. She said she needed me in paint.

I cannot even explain how hurt and angry I am by this all. If I had such a solid interview, why did I not get the promotion? Why would my supervisor step in the way of a promotion? My head is spinning and I really hate my job right now!
  • Options
    @psychbabe314, that sucks! *hugs* I don't have any words of wisdom, but at least you interviewed really well and it sounds like they were impressed. I agree that what your current supervisor did was ridiculous-how did you find out about it?
  • Options
    @Amapola14 thanks for the hug :-( I just heard about it from an old supervisor of mine that I am still very close with. But I plan on going to the assistant manager in charge of that area and ask him the same thing. What could I have done differently to have gotten the position? If he can't give me a satisfactory answer then i will go to the manager and repeat the question to him.

I know this is something I will probably be very angry about for awhile, especially if the store manager confirms the story.

Yes, at least my interview did go well! That is one positive, but it is also a downer because now I am stuck with the lingering suspicious that they may never change me into another place because I keep them too comfortable. I have basically become the supervisor.

An older woman has been working their longer and is more knowledgeable but I have almost as much knowledge as her and training has been put off to me. I know more than my current supervisor and she is always checking with me to make sure she is correct. Even the newest employees in our section come to me to verify something. Not the supervisor. I am flattered that they look so fondly towards me and come to me for help, but it is frustrating because I am not paid to do that kind of stuff. But it is me that has to deal with angry customers. It is me that has done a majority of the training on people.

I don't know. To top it all off, yesterday they were trying to get me to go over to appliances (the section they just DID NOT promote me into) to help with a customer. I was feeling a little bitter so I told them to tell the customer to come back at 8:30am when our appliance associates were in because I was with customers in MY section. The manager said that he would tell the customer that I would be a bit and would be over as soon as I was done with a customer I was with. I told him that he needed to find a free associate who could assist the customer or do it himself.

I know... not the best move, but what do they expect? They turn me down for the position but still try to pawn off the work on me because I know how to do it? The guy they gave the position to was there too. Give him the fucking crash course! Sorry... deep breath... relax...
  • Options
    I'd look into a new job, if upward mobility is important to you. It doesn't look like you're going to get it here. :(

I'm glad you could interview well, though.
  • Options
    I'd look into a new job, if upward mobility is important to you. It doesn't look like you're going to get it here. :(

I'm glad you could interview well, though.
    Thanks, upward mobility should not mean that much to me. This is not a job that I plan on staying at for more than 1-2 more years. But, there is a job fair for psychology students on the 17-18 that I will be attending. Maybe I can find something new :-) Maybe a change of pace is exactly what I need.

But, I need to figure out my current work situation. I go into work feeling literally nauseous. I know that I will be treated like dirt by some customers, I know that a customer will yell at me, I feel dread knowing that my mangers and supervisor will not back me up. Right now this job is making me so miserable and my mood instantly diminishes as soon as I get in. It really is not a good environment for me :-(
  • Options
    This whole ordeal sounds terrible. The fact that you are having a near visceral reaction to working at your current job is not healthy. On the flip side, at least your interview skills are strong which will always come in handy for future employment. That being said, check out the job fair for psych majors and hang in there in the meantime. Hopefully things will become bearable enough to tolerate working there until something better comes along. Sending positive vibes your way.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who sent me good vibes. I was having a bad weekend between stress at work, busy school work, a cold that does not seem to want to go away, an ear infection... but, I do feel a little better now and want to thank everyone for dealing with my whiny fit that I felt I threw this past weekend.

I really appreciate all of you guys! Hope your week has started out good :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards