Chit Chat

NWR: All The SUV/CUV Drivers Out There, Need Suggestions and Opinions Please!!

Hey ladies.  Totally not wedding related, but FI and I will be in the market for a new car within the next 6 months, pretty much around the time we get married we want a new car.  We are going to start TTC right after the wedding and right now I drive a coupe, so that won't really do.  We want to go right for the SUV/CUV so that we don't outgrow it and need to purchase another one when we decided to have expand our family past one child.

I wouldn't mind sticking with sedans, but we would prefer to also sit higher, especially since I travel on the highway and the headlights at night can be blinding since my car rides so low.  I currently have a 2010 Honda Civic coupe.  My dad drives luxury cars and while he is very knowledgeable in cars, he doesn't listen when I tell him that we can't afford the Cadillac LOL.  

We are looking to buy new and want to keep it under $30,000 if possible.  We plan on test driving and doing research but I have no idea and no clue about SUV/CUVs.  

TIA!!

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NWR: All The SUV/CUV Drivers Out There, Need Suggestions and Opinions Please!!

• I love my 2011 Nissan Rogue.  It's been really good to me and we are getting great gas mileage.  We have the v4 model, so that is the big help with gas.  I think they also make a v6, if you want more power, but honestly the v4 gets really good pick up!  The Rogue should be under your price limit brand new.  The one option that I wish I had on my car, is the back up camera.  The way the back is designed, it is very hard to see out of the back when going in reverse. 
  • Ford Escapes & Subaru Foresters are the way to go, IMO. I'm a few months away from buying an Escape and I'm so excited! While I wish I could offer you logic on why, I'm not the vehicle guru, but FI is. These are his recommendations. 
  • We have a Subaru Forester. We bought it in 2011 and have loved it every since. H initially really wanted the Nissan Rogue, but once he test drove it he instantly changed his mind. There isn't that much visibility especially out the back. Also, not sure where you are but the all wheel drive on the Subarus is a great feature.

• I'm a fan of the VW SUVs and the Honda pilot. I currently have a Jetta that I love. I've had the SUVs as loaners. The family I babysit for has the pilot. I typically use that when running the kids all over.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Well I AM the car lady. I rent them for a living and have driven just about everything. The new escape is fantastic. I just bought one for 27k. Also look at the rav 4 by Toyota.

If a 5 seater is sufficient., that is. I went from a coupe as well and the amazing thing is the escape drives like a car and parks like one too!

Previously Alaynajuliana

• I'm not an SUV driver, but will be switching next summer when my lease is up.  
    Most of our friends with kids now have SUVs and have shared some words of wisdom.  
    Take car seat size into consideration.  Some require the seat to recline in order to compensate the car seat.  
    If you plan on having kids close in age, considering the car seat arrangements. 
    Several of our friends are on kid #2, and are in the process of trading in their compact SUVs. One couple has 2 kids (5 years and 6months). They have a Hyundai Tucson (which they love), but feel like the car just isn't big enough for the 2 adults, 2 kids in car seats, stroller, pack n play, etc. If one of them needs to sit in the back with the baby, it's hard because space is tight.  They are considering the Santa Fe or a minivan. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • H and I just bought a 2014 Kia Sorento.  We got the EX V6 version with a few upgrades to it but nothing super crazy.  For me I don't care about total price, what I care about is the monthly payment and I knew that the monthly payment had to be under $400.  So with our trade in ($4000) and our down payment ($3000) and a few deals the dealership had going on, our monthly payment for 6 years is $387.  I want to say that the total price was about $32,000 something but I can't exactly remember at this time.

Anyways, we really like the vehicle.  It has a lot of space but isn't crazy huge like the Honda Pilot or Toyota 4 Runner we had originally wanted.  It has a back-up camera which is nice because I suck at backing into spaces and it has a neat computer system which syncs your phones to your car so everything is hands free.  You can even sync your garage door to your car so you don't have to have the door opener in your car.  As far as gas mileage goes, it fairs pretty well.  My gas light just went on today and I had driven about 250+ miles so I don't think that is too bad.

And since you want to have kids there is an option of having a third row but H and I didn't go for that because we mainly got the SUV to have more room for our pup and to be able to haul things around.

• I don't know much. But I believe the Acura MDX and Honda Pilot both seat 6 or 7 and the part about the OP that stuck out to me most was the not out growing the vehicle part. Good luck
  • Sorentos are nice too, but if you are looking for a third row I would also look at the Explorer. Acuras and Pilots are crazy expensive. I bought mine through my company, 2013 Escape with 13k miles for 27k. If you want lighly used, look at rental websites and search by previous use as "lease".

Previously Alaynajuliana

•    FI and I plan on getting a Chevy Equinox in the next month or so. We also looked at Ford Explorers and Toyota Four-runners but didn't like either as much as the Equinox.
  • Thanks ladies!  I'm not sold on the Suburu because the reviews say that there is tons of road noise, which is something I am experiencing with my Civic because the car isn't well-insulated (I blast my music so loudly just so that I don't hear everything on the outside while I'm driving, esp the tire noise and they are new tires).  And I hear that newly redesigned Honda CRV rides horribly for an SUV.  So many options out there.  I also know that I need something with great highway miles because I commute on highways to work.  And I know that with financing you have to be careful with 6 and 7 year payment agreements because with the interest you could actually be paying more than the MSRP or Invoice price, I forgot which one.

So sad that I know all the technical details like this but no idea what kind SUV/CUV I would want.  I'm such a car person, not truck person LOL.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.  One of the attractions-10 year, 160,000 km warranty.  Also, if you're suffering from noise, there is sound dampening that can be installed into your doors and under the carpets on the floor if you so desire...
  • FI and I just purchased a 2012 CRV and we love it! So does my mom and FMIL. You can fit so much in the back with the seats down, and I love how they fold down flat. Went on a trip home for a wedding and a week vacation of camping, and we had plenty of room. Standard rear view camera is soo nice, the only thing I wish I would have done differently is get one with navigation. I think it rides great but I was driving a 01 corolla so I think I would have been happy with any upgrade from that! I did test drive so many cars (sportage, santa fe, Tucson, rogue) and I always came back to the Honda. You can buy a brand new loaded CRV for right around $30k here in Richmond.
  • Im in the same boat as you are looking for a new SUV I absolutly love the GMC Terrain and the Acaida. The terrain is in the mpg range of 25-29 while only 5 seats lots of leg room (per father 6'5) can fit in the back. the Acaida is in the mpg range of 19-24 with three rows of seating, if you plan to expand.

I am currently in the honda civic and both of them are as quite as can be, as well the most comfortable ride you will ever sit in. ive grown up in trucks and have been in some rugh rides. this is hands down smothest you will try on.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards