Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Custom designed invites - how do you find a printer

I am getting ready to send my save the dates. My amazing friend is designing them and my invites for our wedding present. Has anyone had their invites already designed and just want to hire a company to print them? How did you go about this? I am looking on websites like paper source, wedding paper divas and minted and it seems like they only have their designed invites only and no option to upload a design and order prints. I just don't know where to start looking in this situation. Thank you so much for your help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Custom designed invites - how do you find a printer

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I used VistaPrint for our invites and RSVPs and NextDayFlyers.com for our STDates, all of which were designed by my friend. The two companies have different bleed areas, so your friend will have to check that and size the products accordingly, but they should work.

We loved ours -- our STDates and RSVPs are postcards, which saved on both printing and postage, and our invites are actually over-sized postcards that we mailed in real envelopes. 

ETA: Both places will let you upload your own image, obvs, but VP will charge you a fee (I think it's $4.99) to upload your image rather than using theirs. NDF doesn't, but they have a smaller selection.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Cards and pockets offers printing services. We are having our 4.5"x6.5" invites printed with them. They quoted us $.46/piece cardstock and $.36/piece for textweight paper, with black ink printing. We used Vistaprint for our STDs and were very pleased. We also considered using Vistaprint for invites, but wanted a paper that they didn't offer.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I designed my friends program and favor cards, saved it as a PDF and then emailed it to Kinko's where they printed and cut everything down to size.  I think for like 100 programs and cutting it only cost my friend like $20, if that.  She also bought her own paper and took it in to Kinko's and they were able to print right on that.

• Options
    My cousin designed our invitations and we checked out Wedding Paper Divas, Shutterfly, Paper Source, etc. in hopes that they would have printing services. No luck! We'll be having our invitations printed (hopefully tonight!) at Office Depot. 

I know you didn't ask about this, but if you go with one of the office stores for printing, check out their paper options. We were picky and wanted heavier cardstock for our invitations, and the office supply stores had only lighter-weight paper in stock. We wanted something heavier for invitations, so we purchased paper from Cards and Pockets and we're just using the stores for printing services. The stores encouraged us to bring in our own paper to save money. :)

Hope that helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I went into a Paper Source store the other day and they said that they would do custom printing, but you have to place the order in person. They said it would take a month to print depending on the type of printing I want (I want digital). I am definitely going to look into vistaprint and office stores. This was really helpful, thanks again and congrats to you all :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I used VistaPrint for our invites and RSVPs and NextDayFlyers.com for our STDates, all of which were designed by my friend. The two companies have different bleed areas, so your friend will have to check that and size the products accordingly, but they should work.

We loved ours -- our STDates and RSVPs are postcards, which saved on both printing and postage, and our invites are actually over-sized postcards that we mailed in real envelopes. 

ETA: Both places will let you upload your own image, obvs, but VP will charge you a fee (I think it's $4.99) to upload your image rather than using theirs. NDF doesn't, but they have a smaller selection.
    I second Vistaprint! Especially the use of postcards to save money. Watch the coupon codes to save big. They frequently have free uploads, free shipping and percentage off deals.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I have seen some Vistaprint work.  It is good quality, but sometime the customer service is a bit weak.  You can also try some of the Zazzle shops.  This is one that I have been looking at
    http://www.zazzle.com/modernmatrimony?rf=238734922890477117

Either way, you would want to allow enough time since you are dealing with an online company.  It's not like you can just walk down to the printer and get things corrected last minute.  But if you order the invitations in advance, you should be fine.

• Options
    Nextdayflyers, uprinting, and smartpress, you can all upload a pre-made design to.
    I think I'm going to use smartpress for my invites, but I use nextdayflyers ALL the time at work for printing postcards and thank you cards, so I will probably be using them for all of my inserts etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Glad to see this question posted here! I'm in the same boat.
    @WiscDoll322 I'm looking for heavy invitation paper and am interested in which heavy invitations you ordered from Cards & Pockets? Thanks!!
  • Options

Invitations are very important for any occasions especially in wedding. It serves as identification on what kind of celebration awaits the guests and invited people. Wedding related invitations need not to be expensive but it needs to be stylish, elegant and have the touch of beauty to make the invited guests feel the excitement and comfortable. To make all these requirements possible, I can say that Wedding Paper Divas is something that we can use for our invitations. They have promos and discounts as seen here http://www.couponcodeday.com/stores/wedding-paper-divas/. Whatever style you want for your wedding theme, Wedding Paper Divas have everything for you.

• Options

aefowler said:
    Glad to see this question posted here! I'm in the same boat.
    @WiscDoll322 I'm looking for heavy invitation paper and am interested in which heavy invitations you ordered from Cards & Pockets? Thanks!!
    We ended up using this cardstock from Cards and Pockets: http://www.cardsandpockets.com/creamcardstock25pack85x11sheets-1.aspx. It was nice and inexpensive! Would have liked it to be a slightly heavier, but it was still heavier than what the office stores were offering.

Hope that helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I designed both my Save the Dates and my wedding invites.  
    I was very happy with having with the services of the FedEx/Kinkos facility - which will also cut them for you, or score them for you to fold.  It was fantastic, and a LOT cheaper than buying invites from a company).

(For the envelopes I used Cards and Pockets and also found that to be fantastic.)
  • Options
    I had mine designed as well and I sent the file to staples and went in there. They worked with me so everything was perfect. And it came with free envelopes

• Options

I designed my own and printed them through Vistaprint.  I also lined the envelopes with one of Vistaprint's patterns, which I printed on to flyers.  I made the pockets as well, from a tutorial posted by a (former?) Knottie.  I was pretty pleased with my VP experience (I have ordered several other products from them as well). I would have to do some math and report back on the exact price, but these were very cost effective to make.image

Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards