Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Inviting Priest

melbelleupmelbelleup member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
edited September 2013 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
So I have been pondering this.. and I will most likely invite him to the reception. But here's my issue, I know for a fact he won't be able to attend due to mass starting at 4 on Saturdays. Do I/ Should I still invite him to the wedding reception knowing he won't be able to attend?  Like I said, I will most likely invite him, but just was wondering other people's opinions. This is a catholic priest btw if that matters.
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Inviting Priest

• Options
    melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited September 2013
    Mainly just because I feel weird about inviting him  I guess I'm used to the more traditional weddings where the priest attends the reception after and gives a blessing over the meal, but he won't be able to

ETA: I also didn't know you actually sent him an invite, just thought it was a typical thing for him to think he was invited.
  • Options
    With that said, do they get a guest?? Do you send invitations to your photographer, dj, photo booth person too?? I guess that's my main confusion.
  • Options
    With that said, do they get a guest?? Do you send invitations to your photographer, dj, photo booth person too?? I guess that's my main confusion.

It's not a requirement to invite your officiant if you truly have a vendor relationship. Most couples have a more close-knit relationship with their Priest due to many weeks of Pre-Cana and marriage prep, etc, so they invite him.  However, our Priest told us up front to "save postage" as he wouldn't be able to attend our reception due to Mass. If your priest hasn't said anything, send him an invite with a guest.

Your photographer, DJ, and photobooth attendant will not need invitations. Nor would your florist, seamstress, tux rental shop, etc. All vendors. Make sense?

• Options
    We invited the priest to our reception to be polite, figuring he'd decline due to the 4 pm mass, and guess what? He's coming after Mass. You never know and I'm happy to have him there!
  • Options
    itzMS said:

It's not a requirement to invite your officiant if you truly have a vendor relationship. Most couples have a more close-knit relationship with their Priest due to many weeks of Pre-Cana and marriage prep, etc, so they invite him.  However, our Priest told us up front to "save postage" as he wouldn't be able to attend our reception due to Mass. If your priest hasn't said anything, send him an invite with a guest.

Your photographer, DJ, and photobooth attendant will not need invitations. Nor would your florist, seamstress, tux rental shop, etc. All vendors. Make sense?

Gotcha! Thanks so much for explaining this to me. I guess my thing is I don't know the priest since he just switched to my church this summer and I live in NC (so unable to attend mass with the new priest). We're doing all of our marriage prep classes through the priest in NC.
  • Options
    We invited the priest to our reception to be polite, figuring he'd decline due to the 4 pm mass, and guess what? He's coming after Mass. You never know and I'm happy to have him there!

Thanks! This is the other thing I was wondering since mass is only about 45-hour long anyways. Though he'd most likely miss dinner... I'm sure they could put his plate off to the side if we knew he was coming though.
  • Options
    You should also invite your priest to the RD, if he is the one who will be running it. 
  • Options
    The first time we met with our priest my FI said "make sure you find someone to do 4:00 mass for you so you can come celebrate with us after the wedding." The priest said of course I will. I'm excited to celebrate with you guys. We will be sending him an invitation as well even though we know he's coming. My FI is very close with his priest though so this may not be something that he always does.
  • Options
    Of course you invite your pastor to the reception.
  • Options
    I would definitely invite his SO if he has one. If not I wouldn't give him a plus one though.
  • Options
    It is appropriate to invite your priest to the reception. Ours declined because of evening mass but he appreciated the thought. Luckily with a priest you don't have to worry about SOs!
  • Options
    Teddy917 said:
    I would definitely invite his SO if he has one. If not I wouldn't give him a plus one though.
    I'm pretty sure in catholic  religion they don't have SO's but I will definitely have to check.
  • Options
    You should also invite your priest to the RD, if he is the one who will be running it. 
    Ah thanks, I didn't think about that either. /smacks forehead
  • Options
    Yes, the officiant should be invited to the reception and rehearsal dinner.
  • Options

Thanks! This is the other thing I was wondering since mass is only about 45-hour long anyways. Though he'd most likely miss dinner... I'm sure they could put his plate off to the side if we knew he was coming though.
    Our cocktail hour is 4-5 so in our case, he should make it just in time for dinner or slightly after, which is a stations set-up anyway :-).
  • Options

Our cocktail hour is 4-5 so in our case, he should make it just in time for dinner or slightly after, which is a stations set-up anyway :-).
    That works, our cocktail is 3:30-4:30 dinner starting at 4:30.. though it's only 10 mins from the church so I guess that wouldn't be too bad if he does decide to come.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards