Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Table Number Question

So I'm planning on not having assigned seating in any way shape or form (go ahead and gasp) because we are having 75 guests or less and I see no need to.  Please, in your responses don't sit there and try to convince me to do a seating chart, it won't happen.  My FI and I plan on reserving one or two tables for our immediate family near us so they are for sure seated next to us.  My real question is, do I still need to number the tables?  Would that help people remember where they are sitting, or would it just confuse them? Thanks ladies.
Anniversary

Re: Table Number Question

• Options
    With such a small crowd, I can't imagine why a guest couldn't find their way back to a table without dropping bread crumbs.  If you don't want to assign tables, don't.  But I would make sure you have a few additional tables above and beyond the tables needed based purely on your numbers.  Some guests may fill a table with 6.  Other guests may not want to be "the ones" to complete that table, so instead will go and start a new table.

And, FYI.....it isn't in good form to tell people how or what to post.
  • Options
    mobkaz said:
    With such a small crowd, I can't imagine why a guest couldn't find their way back to a table without dropping bread crumbs.  If you don't want to assign tables, don't.  But I would make sure you have a few additional tables above and beyond the tables needed based purely on your numbers.  Some guests may fill a table with 6.  Other guests may not want to be "the ones" to complete that table, so instead will go and start a new table.

I really just wanted to make sure my question would be answered without people attacking my decision to not have a seating chart.  I have seen this happen too many times on TK where women get hung up on something else the bride said and then don't give a good answer to her question.  I didn't mean for it to sound mean, just wanted to make sure my actual question was answered without the judgmental comments about seating chart vs no seating chart. 

And thank you for your suggestion about adding a few extra tables, I think that is a very good idea, so no one feels packed in or forced to sit somewhere because that is the only number of seats available.  I appreciate it.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'd refrain from table numbers if you don't have assigned seating. Just place a "reserved" sign on the two tables for family. 
  • Options
    mobkaz said:

I really just wanted to make sure my question would be answered without people attacking my decision to not have a seating chart.  I have seen this happen too many times on TK where women get hung up on something else the bride said and then don't give a good answer to her question.  I didn't mean for it to sound mean, just wanted to make sure my actual question was answered without the judgmental comments about seating chart vs no seating chart. 

And thank you for your suggestion about adding a few extra tables, I think that is a very good idea, so no one feels packed in or forced to sit somewhere because that is the only number of seats available.  I appreciate it.

But the thing is it did come off as mean and snotty and bitchy.  You basically made it sound like we are too dumb to answer a question without being told how to answer it.  We all have different opinions on seating charts and everything else but most of us are smart enough to be able to answer your question even if our opinion differs from yours.  As for any posts that you don't like you can easily skim over them and ignore them.  So FYI don't start off posts like that because they do not make you look good and will give a bad taste in other posters mouths about you in future posts.

Amazingly though, you will be surprised how many women on here think not assigning tables for a smaller wedding is perfectly acceptable.

As for your question, simply put "reserved" signs on those tables that you want to save for your families (and make sure that those that the table are reserved from know that is where they are supposed to sit).  And also make sure you have about 10% more tables and chairs needed as with open seating tables will not always fill up.

• Options
    So I'm planning on not having assigned seating in any way shape or form (go ahead and gasp) because we are having 75 guests or less and I see no need to.  Please, in your responses don't sit there and try to convince me to do a seating chart, it won't happen.  My FI and I plan on reserving one or two tables for our immediate family near us so they are for sure seated next to us.  My real question is, do I still need to number the tables?  Would that help people remember where they are sitting, or would it just confuse them? Thanks ladies.

I like that you put that line in there! Because it's exactly what some people would've done. (And some people still had snarky things to say about your post....)

Anyway, I think the previously mentioned 'reserved' signs on the tables is a great idea.

• Options
    Maybe its just me, but 75 doesn't sound like a tiny wedding.  Maybe if it was 20 or so.  Anyways, as long as you somehow reserve seats/tables for your VIPs I think you should be okay.  I don't think numbering the tables would help, if I were a guest I'd see the numbers and be walking around looking for a chart before sitting down.
  • Options

You know, I think people usually have their own ideas about seating charts on TK. Some prefer them, some don't care. I think in the end most people usually fall back on "Know your crowd."

Reserved signs. Having just tables 1-3 is weird and confusing.

• Options
    Majelin86 said:

I like that you put that line in there! Because it's exactly what some people would've done. (And some people still had snarky things to say about your post....)

Anyway, I think the previously mentioned 'reserved' signs on the tables is a great idea.

You do realize that we were snarky not because she refuses to do a seating chart but because she told us how to answer her question.  You don't tell adults how to answer something.  We are highly capable of forming our own responses without help from others.  Telling people how to post or what not to post is rude and offensive to our intelligence.  I could give two shits about whether or not she has a seating chart but I do care if I am being talked to like a 5 year old.

• Options
    Majelin86 said:

You do realize that we were snarky not because she refuses to do a seating chart but because she told us how to answer her question.  You don't tell adults how to answer something.  We are highly capable of forming our own responses without help from others.  Telling people how to post or what not to post is rude and offensive to our intelligence.  I could give two shits about whether or not she has a seating chart but I do care if I am being talked to like a 5 year old.
    Wow, take it down a notch.
  • Options
    She doesn't need to take it down a notch because she actually gave advice. You're just here to feign outrage on another's behalf.

Anniversary

• Options
    ElcaB said:

I'd refrain from table numbers if you don't have assigned seating. Just place a "reserved" sign on the two tables for family. 

I think this is kinda good idea. But people should know that the closer tables are for immediate family and friends. But also if you got alot of close family then you should do reserved tables. Sorry if I confused it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards