Wedding Reception Forum

Early morning wedding?

Hey everyone!  My dream venue is absolutely perfect, but there's one problem... it is only available at 8am.  I'm not a huge fan of breakfast/bunch kinda foods.  I was wondering if brunch weddings were really appealing to guests at all?  I know my two best friends were a little hesitant about thinking it would be any fun.  I know what they consider fun at a wedding is the drinking and dancing part, and they just couldn't imagine doing that at like 10am.

Your thoughts?  Would getting my dream venue at this cost be worth it for my guests?

Re: Early morning wedding?

• nicolea19 said:
    Hey everyone!  My dream venue is absolutely perfect, but there's one problem... it is only available at 8am.  I'm not a huge fan of breakfast/bunch kinda foods.  I was wondering if brunch weddings were really appealing to guests at all?  I know my two best friends were a little hesitant about thinking it would be any fun.  I know what they consider fun at a wedding is the drinking and dancing part, and they just couldn't imagine doing that at like 10am.

Your thoughts?  Would getting my dream venue at this cost be worth it for my guests?

What time would your reception start?

• manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013
    Honestly, if I were you, I'd go for the big party with food and booze I like over a gorgeous venue. 

That said, brunch weddings are perfectly fine IMO, although an 8am ceremony would be ROUGH and I think you'd have a number of no-shows. 

Could you and your FI take pictures at this venue, but have your ceremony/reception somewhere else?
  • I'm having a brunch reception. The only booze we're having is some mimosas and bloody mary's. But us and our families are not big drinkers.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • grumbledoregrumbledore member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013
    nicolea19 said: Hey everyone!  My dream venue is absolutely perfect, but there's one problem... it is only available at 8am.  I'm not a huge fan of breakfast/bunch kinda foods.  I was wondering if brunch weddings were really appealing to guests at all?  I know my two best friends were a little hesitant about thinking it would be any fun.  I know what they consider fun at a wedding is the drinking and dancing part, and they just couldn't imagine doing that at like 10am.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Honestly, if someone invited me to an 8 AM wedding, I would have to be extremely close to them to even consider it.  And even then, I would find it a huge imposition.  Think about how early your guests would have to get up to be ready for an 8 AM wedding.  Consider how early
    you would have to be up to be ready.

I think you should choose a different venue and keep your guests in mind. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd have no problem attending a morning ceremony. Who doesn't love brunch and mimosas!? The only downer for me would be trying to party during the late morning. It's not exactly the time of day to bust a move on the dance floor. 
  • Personally, I'm a big fan of morning weddings with a brunch reception. I am also a morning person and wake up at 6:30am on the weekends (freak of nature). However, 8am is too early for most guests - especially those traveling for your wedding.

For you and your WP also... if you're getting hair/make-up or anything done, you'll have to get up at like 4 in the morning! Good luck finding a stylist who will agree to that. 

If you cannot imagine your wedding w/o this venue, I would change your date. Find a date when it's available at like 10am or even 11am. You can still do a brunch reception that would be awesome, but I think you'd have much higher attendance. Or change your venue.
    *********************************************************************************

• Personally, I'm a big fan of morning weddings with a brunch reception. I am also a morning person and wake up at 6:30am on the weekends (freak of nature). However, 8am is too early for most guests - especially those traveling for your wedding.

For you and your WP also... if you're getting hair/make-up or anything done, you'll have to get up at like 4 in the morning! Good luck finding a stylist who will agree to that. 

If you cannot imagine your wedding w/o this venue, I would change your date. Find a date when it's available at like 10am or even 11am. You can still do a brunch reception that would be awesome, but I think you'd have much higher attendance. Or change your venue.
    This.  A brunch reception is totally cool, as long as it isn't at the crack of dawn.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love a brunch reception but 8 am is crazy to me! 10 would be the earliest I'd consider attending.
  • I am with the other posters.  Brunch receptions are great but a ceremony start time of 8am is not. That is really early even for guests that live close by.  Think about the ones that may need to drive 45 minutes or more to the venue.

Also think about what time you and your WP would have to get up.  Before the sunrises? Um, no thank you.

I would rather have a huge party with all my friends and family at a venue that isn't my dream over having a super early morning wedding where a lot of guests may decline just because of the start time.

• Brunch is by far my favourite meal!  I have loved every Brunch wedding I have been too and I am a morning person. However, 8 AM is WAY too early. The earliest I think you could realistically start a ceremony for a brunch reception is 10:30, maybe 10 at a push.
  • 8 am for when the ceremony starts?  That's way too early for me.  You'd have to get up so early to do/get your hair, makeup, et cetera done.  
  • We're looking at the Magic Kingdom at WDW.  The Disney coordinator informed us that getting married in the Magic Kingdom is only available at 8am.  It would be for a very small group- just close friends and family- who are coming down for about three days, with the vacation culminating in the wedding.

Ugh.  It's just tough for me to give up getting married in front of Cinderella's Castle :-)
  • nicolea19 said:

We're looking at the Magic Kingdom at WDW.  The Disney coordinator informed us that getting married in the Magic Kingdom is only available at 8am.  It would be for a very small group- just close friends and family- who are coming down for about three days, with the vacation culminating in the wedding.

Ugh.  It's just tough for me to give up getting married in front of Cinderella's Castle :-)
    Does your FI also share your dream of getting married in front of Cinderella's castle? If not and for the reason that this is super inconvenient for everyone involved, I recommend you find a beautiful venue elsewhere.
    *********************************************************************************

• nicolea19 said:
    We're looking at the Magic Kingdom at WDW.  The Disney coordinator informed us that getting married in the Magic Kingdom is only available at 8am.  It would be for a very small group- just close friends and family- who are coming down for about three days, with the vacation culminating in the wedding.

I totally understand what it is like to "give up" an element of what you see as your dream wedding. Especially Disney, I can definitely understand that having a "dream wedding since I was a little girl" response to the possibility. But 8 am is just too impractical.  There were three Miss Manners quotes that I keep repeating to myself during this process. It has really helped me put things in perspective (there are her top 5 wedding quotes as a sticky on one of the boards).

1.When you had that childhood wedding fantasy, you were a child. If you don't have better taste and a greater sense of social and fiscal responsibility now, you're too immature to get married.

2. A phrase you will be happier if you forget: "the perfect wedding." Perfection does not exist this side of heaven, especially when it involves complicated arrangements and all kinds of other people, and you'll drive yourself and others crazy if you think you can achieve it.

3. Another phrase you will be happier forgetting: "It's your day." The joining of two people involves two (or more) families and other relatives and friends, and you ignore their feelings and comfort at your peril.

In all honesty, if my family member got married at WDW at 8 am, as much as I loved them,  I wouldn't remember it as the "amazing wedding at Disney". I would remember it as "the wedding where everyone had to get up at the crack of dawn and was too tired to enjoy".

Have your honeymoon at Disney, subtly incorporate your disney love in other places in your wedding. Check out the AA Disney wedding dresses. If you are dead set on an 8 am wedding at disney, you have to elope there and not invite any guests (which is totally fine!). But as soon as you invite guests, even your parents, you have to take their comfort into consideration. 

Side note:  I feel like a lot of people on the boards lately are saying "its just my parents/family so it doesn't matter that they are inconvenienced".  I know parents/family love unconditionally, but that should be more of a reason to not take advantage and treat them rudely!

• Ha! To be honest, the only thing I'd get up for at 6 am would be a Disney wedding in front of the castle. Because if I'm at Disney Mickey is giving me a wake up call at 6am every day anyway :). But I still think it's inconsiderate, there are lots of beautiful Disney locations, keep looking!
  • Also keep in mind that depending on your wedding style, you might have to spend several hours before your wedding getting everything ready, doing hair and makeup, and maybe doing a first look. All in all, it was about 4 hours of stuff before my wedding. So you'll have to get up super early for an 8 a.m. ceremony, to say nothing of your poor guests.
  • nicolea19 said:

Sorry, 8am is just way too early, no matter where the location.  It's a dream location to you, not your guests. 
  • To me, it'd be a nightmare instead of a dream. No way.
  • Can't you get married somewhere else (like at a Disney resort ) and then get photos of you and the groom in your wedding dress in front of the castle?

• 8am would be a little early for me :S
  • to early maybe do first look photos in front of the castle then do a later reception in the afternoon or evening 
  • I would check into the avaialbility of hair dresser & make up person unless you plan on doing it all yourself. For an 8 am ceremony, depending on what your hairstyle is going to be you need to plan to be up & getting your hair done at 5 am which means you'll probably have to get up at 4:30 AM or earilier if the stylist is doing your hair along with other women.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards