Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Interesting stations or traditional?

I'm so torn on what to do for our wedding. We are having a small wedding with (maybe?) 50 guests, mostly family. We found a place that is within our budget but they don't offer a tasting so we went to the restaurant and tried some food from there and it was just okay. My father loved it but it just seems to simple. We would be having a buffet of chicken Marsala, steak, and a vegetarian lasagna.

Then i was thinking maybe we should go with stations like Taco bar station, Mash potato served in Martini classes, pasta stations, salad station  etc.It just seems more interesting to me.

Which would you prefer?

Re: Interesting stations or traditional?

• Options
    Also, do you think the chicken and steak buffet sounds more formal than the stations that i listed? Or does it even matter?
  • Options
    You don't seem thrilled with the food options - have you asked if the restaurant has a separate menu for special events? The place we held our RD (DH and my favorite restaurant) has a menu like that - it made their food a bit more upscale than it normally is.

Personally, I agree with you that chicken marsala, steak, and veggie lasagna isn't the most original menu - but it is one that will likely appeal to most of your guests. Personally, I don't eat mushrooms and am not huge on steak, but I am always happy with a veggie lasagna. DH is happy anytime steak is served at a wedding.

The stations option can be a bit more fun and creative - but you would need to make sure you're doing a good job of balancing your protein to starch to veggie ratio on that. For example, both a mashed potato bar and a pasta bar would be too carb heavy for a lot of guests (I would be the exception to that - love me some carbs!).
  • Options

Is the restaurant doing your catering able to do stations?

Personally, I don't want to run around to four corners of the room to various stations to get my dinner ...so I would vote for one simple buffet station

• Options
    I vote for stations. I think it's new and interesting! We chose stations because it seemed more exciting than a traditional buffet, and it cuts down on people having to wait in one single file line for their foo.
  • Options
    I'm so torn on what to do for our wedding. We are having a small wedding with (maybe?) 50 guests, mostly family. We found a place that is within our budget but they don't offer a tasting so we went to the restaurant and tried some food from there and it was just okay. My father loved it but it just seems to simple. We would be having a buffet of chicken Marsala, steak, and a vegetarian lasagna.

Then i was thinking maybe we should go with stations like Taco bar station, Mash potato served in Martini classes, pasta stations, salad station  etc.It just seems more interesting to me.

Which would you prefer?
    I love tacos, so a wedding with a taco bar would thrill me.  However, I don't like the martini glass mashed potato thing - I don't get it.  Have mashed potato at the buffet if you want but I'd save the $$ on the trendy display personally.

I'd dig a pasta station, I am thinking about asking our caterer to do this.  I think if you did the chicken, the steak, and a pasta station, plus sides and salad, that would be a pretty good buffet.  Maybe you could do the taco bar as a late night snack if you are partying late?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards