Getting in Shape
Options

Losing inches on the waist line

I am 131 lbs. I did not order my dress from a bridal salon, instead, I chose to order it on line. Although I took that chance,the dress turn out beautiful, I could not fit the dress. It is my waist ( the first place I gain weight).
I have already started working out however, I have not started dieting. I have lost four pounds. If I waited until after the holiday will I lost the inches by May?
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Losing inches on the waist line

• Options
    I don't know if this would work for everyone, but I found out not long ago that I'm gluten intolerant, and my sister-in-law was having major intestinal trouble, too. We both decided to change how we ate out of necessity, and started following a no grain, no sugar, no starch diet (specific carbohydrate diet) (I also quit consuming dairy, like ice cream and cream in my coffee). I lost 10lbs in a month, and my waist went from being about 42 inches to 37. I was really surprised I was carrying around so much extra bloaty belly just from my diet. Drinking a lot of water can help a lot, as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Gluten intolerance leads to bloating so the pp's diet changes most likely just removed the excess water being stored due to abdominal inflammation.

OP:  Start counting calories now.  Enjoy the holidays, but there is no reason you can't get yourself into a healthy eating cycle now rather than later.
  • Options
    I'd say waiting until after the holidays sounds like a reasonable idea... one last splurge if you will... however be careful because there may be always that "one more day"..."oh I'll just start tomorrow... tomorrow....tomorrow"That's six months which should be plenty of time. I actually started this program that is called Tone It Up. If you go to toneitup.com, the teach you the ins and outs of healthy eating... foods that teach your body to burn fat, not muscle. It's about toning up and slimming down. They have this thing called the seven day slim down. I did it and lost 4 pounds in one week! It was awesome! BUT not only you do lose weight, but you always tone and tighten your body! Check it out. It's freaking amazing! I recommend it to everyone who isn't necessarily looking to lose a bunch of weight but definitely tighten those hard to tone target areas.Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_losing-inches-waist-line?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:078572bb-a894-42ab-9f24-cdfc8d10f8c2Post:6f6e1ebc-9338-451d-ac29-07a63f100e10">Re: Losing inches on the waist line</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Gluten intolerance leads to bloating so the pp's diet changes most likely just removed the excess water being stored due to abdominal inflammation.</strong> OP:  Start counting calories now.  Enjoy the holidays, but there is no reason you can't get yourself into a healthy eating cycle now rather than later.
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div><div>
    </div><div> I have a certain level of gluten intolerance.  Also, if you have it badly enough it often causes you to lose weight because nothing is being absorbed.. the food goes in, then immediately out.  Also, because you are substituting flour, etc. for rice based products you can actually gain weight.</div><div>
    </div><div>Use myfitnesspal or another site where you can track your calories.  It can be helpful to see where are all of your calories are going and allow you to see where you can substitute more healthy choices.</div>
  • Options
    Your diet should consist of plenty of veggies, fruits, whole grains, and lean proteins. You should begin tracking your daily calorie intake and expenditure. A lot of people use a free calorie tracking website called myfitnesspal.com. Just because you "start" now, does not mean you will have to deprive yourself during the holidays. It's ok to eat holiday fun food in moderation. If you change your eating habits now, you will, more than likely, not splurge as much during the holidays! Plus, if you're trying to lose weight & inches, most of the work is done in the kitchen.

Also, do you weight train? If not, I encourage you to begin. Weight training mixed with cardio will have better results than cardio alone.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am weigh training as well as cardio and ab work out. I know about the gluten free diet as it pertians to the Special Needs Population, hence my line of work. However, I did not know that it holds excess water.

My next question is how do I find out how many calerios I should intake a day. I Know there are various website with different information. II guess I wll start with my fitness pal.

More Friuts and veggie are great!!!

Oh Yeah, I have set my date to start for January second. So no putting it off.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    There are various websites available to help you estimate what your daily caloric intake should be. It's based on various info, such as, age, height, weight, activity level, ect. When you set up a myfitnesspal account it will do this calculation for you.

Myfitnesspal often gives 1200 calories per day. I found this to be too much a deficit for me so I upped it to about 1400 per day. The risk of going too low in calories, is that your body may go into a "starvation mode" and actually hold onto weight/fat longer. It's tricky. Play with it a bit until you feel comfortable. Also, when you're using MFP, you add excercise in and this will allow you to eat more calories that day. A frequent question, when beginning, is whether or not to "eat back" the calories. Answer: yes, you should eat back all or, at least, most of the calories.

Good Luck! Five months should be plenty of time for you!

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_losing-inches-waist-line?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:078572bb-a894-42ab-9f24-cdfc8d10f8c2Post:589d5741-bd14-46d9-9fd3-a598f4260ac2">Re: Losing inches on the waist line</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your diet should consist of plenty of veggies, fruits, whole grains, and lean proteins. You should begin tracking your daily calorie intake and expenditure. A lot of people use a free calorie tracking website called myfitnesspal.com. Just because you "start" now, does not mean you will have to deprive yourself during the holidays. It's ok to eat holiday fun food in moderation. If you change your eating habits now, you will, more than likely, not splurge as much during the holidays! Plus, if you're trying to lose weight & inches, most of the work is done in the kitchen. Also, do you weight train? If not, I encourage you to begin. Weight training mixed with cardio will have better results than cardio alone.
    Posted by mbody[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the perfect response.

Also, if your waist is the first place you gain, it will also be the hardest to lose.  I'm pear shaped, and I've lost 15lbs (15 to go!) and 4 inches off my waist- and not an inch off my butt/hips yet. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards