Favors

Trees?

I'm having a Christmas/Winter themed wedding in December.  I was thinking of getting everyone little pine tree saplings so everyone would get their own little Christmas tree!  I think it's super cute, but would it be appreciated or is it a good idea that just probably wouldn't turn out great?  Thoughts?

Re: Trees?

• kss20 said:
    I'm having a Christmas/Winter themed wedding in December.  I was thinking of getting everyone little pine tree saplings so everyone would get their own little Christmas tree!  I think it's super cute, but would it be appreciated or is it a good idea that just probably wouldn't turn out great?  Thoughts?
    Just went to a wedding where little cactus plants were the favors. They were cute. But put on the table and I don't think there were enough for everyone but that's besides the point. I personally didn't take one because I had no use for it. How would you feel about having 20 extras? The thing with favors is I feel like theres always extra.
  • I would probably take it because I have somewhere I could plant it and I wouldn't mind taking care of it, but you may have a lot of people who don't have anywhere to put a tree.
  • kss20 said:

The only problem I see is that the ground is at least partially frozen where I live from like Nov-March. I couldn't plant it, so I wouldn't take it.

Is it warm enough where you live to plant trees in December?

• We had a winter wedding in a lodge and did seedlings that doubled as place cards (so we did one per couple/family). There was a sign on the tae that said "Plant your seedling and let love grow".

I'm sure that some of these got thrown away, but they went well with the venue and feel of the wedding, and I loved them. I have had quite a few of our guests send us pictures in the last 6 months showing us how big their tree has gotten!
  • I don't have anywhere to plant a tree. And I sure wouldn't have an interest in planting one if I did have the room. Plus as a PP mentioned the ground in some places is frozen during that time of year.

Do you have people traveling? Those guests mostly likely wouldn't take one because of logistics.

I think you'll have a ton leftover.

• staar987 said:

I don't have anywhere to plant a tree. And I sure wouldn't have an interest in planting one if I did have the room. Plus as a PP mentioned the ground in some places is frozen during that time of year.

Do you have people traveling? Those guests mostly likely wouldn't take one because of logistics.

I think you'll have a ton leftover.

This.  Trees don't work as favors for everyone.  I'd just use them as decorations at most.
  • No favors work for everyone. I think tree saplings are adorable. Even when I lived in an apartment, I would have planted it in a pot. If you love this idea, go for it! Just don't be too bummed if you have some extras.
  • I think the little trees sounds adorable. I know at weddings I've been to, if one person at the able doesn't want the favor, shot glasses etc, others will generally take them. so if someone has a place to plant 1 tree, they might as well plant 2 or 3, right?  I say get the little trees!!!
  • Thank you all for the advice!
  • I think the little trees sounds adorable. I know at weddings I've been to, if one person at the able doesn't want the favor, shot glasses etc, others will generally take them. so if someone has a place to plant 1 tree, they might as well plant 2 or 3, right?  I say get the little trees!!!
    Ah, no, others won't generally take them.  They'll get abandoned, and the couple is stuck with them.  And I'm sorry, but no, having a place to plant one tree does not mean having a place to plant more than one.  I think you're so taken with the "adorable" aspect you ascribe to this that you're not seeing that it's impractical in many ways.
  • It is a difficult favors idea no doubt, but I really like the idea also.  As long as you have a plan for all the left behind sapplings it's not a terrible idea.  Could you get permission from a park/community to plant them somewhere????
  • Sorry you're so anti-Tree Jen, but I happen to live where people like the outdoors... and trees.  I also think this bride may know her guests, and wouldn't buy 80 people who all live in apartments a tree.

But, I may be ascribing to my 'adorable' aspect of life.  OR I may not be a negative Nelly.  huh.

Barb

• Sorry you're so anti-Tree Jen, but I happen to live where people like the outdoors... and trees.  I also think this bride may know her guests, and wouldn't buy 80 people who all live in apartments a tree.

But, I may be ascribing to my 'adorable' aspect of life.  OR I may not be a negative Nelly.  huh.

Barb

I'm not "anti-tree," but I live in NYC, where people do not have the space for trees.  And if I was traveling long-distance, taking home a tree would be really impractical. 

I also have a black thumb.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards