Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Taco Bar... thoughts

FI and I love tex-mex food and one of our favorites to make at home is tacos. We're thinking about doing a taco bar possibly as a station or as a part of our cocktail hour (if we do this our featured cocktail will be a margarita on the rocks).

Taco bar would include:
Hard and soft shells
Beef
Chicken
Seasoned Veggies (for our vegetarian friends)
Black Beans
Cheddar Cheese
Olives
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Sour Cream
Guacamole
And a variety of hot and mild sauces.

Thoughts?

Re: Taco Bar... thoughts

• Sounds lovely! I think this would work better as a station during dinner than during cocktail hour. It seems more likely part of a meal and like it would be difficult to hold during a cocktail hour.

The only other item I would suggest would be shrimp or fish, but that's only because fish tacos are one of my favorite foods. I think the variety you have there is fine. 
  • I love tex-mex.  But a taco bar seems like it would create backlog issues in terms of lines forming.  I also have visions of a very messy looking bar in a short amount of time.  Is it possible to incorporate the tex-mex foods without the mess? I also agree with the PP regarding the manageability of messy taco's, a drink, and a lack of tables.  Could you offer mini premade taco's and a few additional tex-mex bite sized items?
  • I love this idea!
  • I love tacos, so this sounds great, but a little messy. I would probably end up eating the filling with a fork just to save my dress.
  • I think it sounds really yummy. I think there could be a backlog at the table though. Might be worth having 2 tables if you have a lot of guests.

• I have to agree with previous poster that this may be better suited as a station during dinner rather then during cocktail hour.  For cocktail hour I like less messy food because I am usually walking around, talking, and eating.  Tacos would really not work for this because they are more of a sit down and hunch over your plate kind of food.

• A nacho bar could use all of these same ingredients...subbing out the taco shells for some tortilla chips.

Much easier to have a few bites of nachos during cocktail hour than making a whole taco.

• Another vote for dinner over cocktail hour. For cocktail hour you need "clean" finger foods since people are walking, drinking, talking and eating. I would also urge you to choose hard OR soft shell and have the tacos made up so that people can just grab toppings and not "build" their tacos. That's what takes forever. I'm with PPs that if you do this, have multiple stations/lines because people will take a long time in a food line where they can't just grab and go.

I went to a wedding last year that did tacos as their late night snack. They had two or three options of premade tacos (no build-your-own bar). They were SO good after a night of drinking and dancing.
    *********************************************************************************

• Sounds great!!
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think cocktail hour is definitely out of the question now, and if we do it, it would definitely be one of our stations at dinner. I agree that pre-made tacos would be a good idea to avoid lines, but pre-made tacos that have been sitting in the shells for more than a few minutes have a tendency to get pretty soggy.

I really like the nacho idea. Another thing to consider...
  • I like the idea of nacho bar better, I'm not a neat taco eater so that could spell disaster while eating.
  • Taco Bar for Dinner! Numerous tables/lines. That's what we are doing, so excited about it! Bringing out a cheese fountain with chips for the late night snack ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards