Chit Chat
Options

Getting married on your birthday?

I'm still waiting on my preferred venue to get back to me with open dates, but I'd love to get married on my birthday next year (9/27). Bonus that my FI's birthday is 9/26, we love that time of year and we think it'd be cool to get married around our bdays. Yet it seems that every single person I know has said, "Don't get married on your birthday! Then you only get one gift!" 

A. I'm not 5. Who really expects birthday gifts in their 30s? 
B. Maybe my FH and I have no problem getting just one gift. Or getting each other multiple gifts. 
C. I'm not gift grubby, yo! 

Re: Getting married on your birthday?

• Options
    I'm still waiting on my preferred venue to get back to me with open dates, but I'd love to get married on my birthday next year (9/27). Bonus that my FI's birthday is 9/26, we love that time of year and we think it'd be cool to get married around our bdays. Yet it seems that every single person I know has said, "Don't get married on your birthday! Then you only get one gift!" 

B. Maybe my FH and I have no problem getting just one gift. Or getting each other multiple gifts. 
    Personally, I don't see it as a gift grubby thing - I just like to spread out holidays and reasons to celebrate. We picked July partially because of where holidays and our b-days fall. We wanted our anniversary to be in a different season. 

It's really personal choice. If that's what you want, go for it! I'd like to spread it out, not for gifts, but just for a reason to celebrate together at another time of year.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

If you and your FI want to celebrate your birthdays and your anniversaries all at once for the rest of your lives, then sure why not.

Personally, I like having an anniversary date at a different time from our birthdays.

More days of the year to celebrate :-)

• Options
    Totally get what you mean. I like all reasons to celebrate ;-)
  • Options
    Meant to add: I just find it hilarious that so many people in my life have that reaction to having a wedding on a birthday. 
  • Options
    I always wanted my wedding in May, didn't happen but would of loved it around my bday and mother's day, which my bday IS mother's day in 2014 :)

I say go for it. My brother proposed on his FI's bday and now they're getting married the day after his Bday. Day after because of his being a Friday.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I personally like to spread out celebrations as well. BUT, my friend got married on her birthday last year. Everyone sang happy birthday to her at the reception. It was pretty awesome, not going to lie :)
  • Options

shelyg89 said:
    I personally like to spread out celebrations as well. BUT, my friend got married on her birthday last year. Everyone sang happy birthday to her at the reception. It was pretty awesome, not going to lie :)
    I love that! 
  • Options
    Screw them.. do it when you want.  It's totally cool to want to spread your holidays out  or lump them together.  Having your wedding on your birthday sounds fun, you've already got all your nearest and dearest together, that's one heck of a birthday party! And you're getting one of the best birthday gifts of all- getting to spend the rest of your life with the man you love.  

FIs birthday is a couple weeks after our wedding day, right before Halloween (our favorite holiday) We couldn't care less that we have 3 major celebration dates all close together.  
  • Options
    My parents got married on my dad's birthday, and every few years it also falls on Fathers Day.  It's not a big deal.  But yeah, we stopped doing big birthday things when we were kids.  Also, why would anyone else be getting you a gift for your anniversary??
  • Options
    We did consider birthdays when picking our wedding date and tried to keep them separated.  We're getting married November 2 and FI's birthday is November 11.  We wouldn't have wanted them any closer together than that.  But I think is one of those "to each their own" things. Since both of your birthdays are that weekend it makes it kind of cool.
  • Options
    We got married one week after my birthday. It wasn't ideal because I also like to spread my celebrations throughout the year, but it was the best date for us. It sounds like both you and your FH are psyched about getting married on that date, so go for it!
  • Options
    LDubHawksFanLDubHawksFan member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    I don't get the big deal. We don't really so much for bdays, so that may be part of the reason. There was a thread not long ago with a girl marrying on her bday and mentioned it in her vows. I think making any focus on one half of the couple's bday is a little AWish, but with both bdays being at that same time, it seems different. If you wanted to note each others' bdays, I think it would be cute to have a duel bday cake at your RD.

Bonus, your H should never forget your anniversary date!!

• Options
    DO IT! That's super cute. You could put a birthday candle in a cake at the RD and sing to your FI and then do the same for you at the wedding! BEST BIRTHDAY EVER. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Love these ideas!
  • Options
    I say go for it if that's what you guys want!

People keep teasing because our wedding will be February 15th. Teasing that he'll only have to get me one present that month. I tell people I'll take two presents or maybe one big present.
     Never was much of a Valentine's Day girl anyways. Our first one he was in the Navy so he had flowers sent to me. This year cause of his work we celebrated a couple days late with dinner.

I look forward to maybe going away on warm weekends in the middle of winter. I am already trying to get a trip to Disney for our 1 year anniversary.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're getting married five days after my birthday. And Halloween is smack dab in between my birthday and our wedding day. I think it makes for the greatest week ever. We both wanted a fall wedding and weren't going to avoid those months just because my birthday is in the middle of the season.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My cousin was married on her birthday and I thought it was super sweet! She is a twin, so when they cut the cake and put a candle in her slice, their older sister brought out a cupcake for her twin brother and everyone sang happy b'day.  If that's what you would like to do, then go for it! :)
  • Options
    Our anniversary is a few days before Christmas and my birthday is four weeks before Christmas and our started dating anniversary (which we don't really "celebrate".  We just go out to the place we went on our first date/when he asked me to be his gf) is three weeks before that.  

I don't really like everything being so close together.  I wish the celebrations were spread out.  We always celebrate at least a little bit on anniversaries and birthdays and stuff - even if it's just going out to dinner and giving the other person a card.

Growing up, I always hated having my bday and Christmas so close together.  And now my anniversary is just another celebration thrown in close together with everything else.
  • Options
    When we were looking at dates, we originally ruled out birthday months. I'm a teacher, so I also have very limited to take off. We wanted to coordinate our wedding with my break schedule, so I wouldn't have to use any sick or personal days. After eliminating the summer (we hate the humidity), we ended up being left with my spring break. And my birthday also happens to fall over spring break. I was originally opposed to picking a date so close to my bday, but I realized that it wasn't as big of a deal as I was making it. We will be getting married 10 days after my 30th birthday.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm getting married 16 days before my birthday... wouldn't have wanted it any close than that... but that's just personal preference... if you choose to have it at the same day, I wouldn't think it's awkward, it's your decision (and there's a higher probability your FI is going to remember your wedding anniversary)... 

I would mind if you pick a date that is also one of your kids birthdays (friends of mine did that)... I found it super weird when the little fella (3rd birthday) had a tiered birthday cake next to his parents' wedding cake... 
  • Options
    That is weird.
  • Options
    I'm a mostly a lurker, but I wanted to chime in here. We got married on June 1 and my H's birthday is June 4. It's never been an issue. I do get him two gifts, but I like to give gifts so it's not a big deal.
  • Options
    My parents were married on my dad's 25th birthday, and we ended up getting married on H's 30th birthday. When we asked my dad about it, he said it was never an issue, and he liked that he didn't have to remember it.
    For our first anniversary this year, I bought H 2 presents, one 'paper' for the first anniversary, and one regular birthday present.

Dates are also not as important to us since H travels for a month or two at a time throughout the year, so he misses stuff all the time. He's been gone for my birthday for 3 years in a row. I don't care at ALL, we just celebrate when we're together.
  • Options
    kahaywakahaywa member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2013
    We're getting married the day before my birthday. We knew we had to do it during summer so that my sister (who lives about 600 miles away) and her kids could come, Then we sat down with a calender and eliminated all the holiday weekends,and family birthdays. We were left with early Aug. (which was a no because of a charity race we do every year), and this one weekend in July. We didn't even realize how close it was to my b-day until well after the fact. 
    My daughter's birthday is the following week, but she loves the idea of it being so close, and we plan on doing a big sleep over thing in June for her. Sometimes, I think she's more excited about the wedding than we are!
  • Options
    We purposely picked a date far away from our birthdays in February (we were born 6 days apart).  Honestly, February usually ends up being a pretty hectic month for us.  Even though we're not big on Valentine's, we usually go out for it.  A lot of the family birthdays are also in February and it's the shortest month so we went with early September since that's when our dating anniversary was anyway.

I say go for it, sounds like you've got a lot of really awesome birthday/wedding ideas above to make the day super special.
  • Options
    We got married 5 days before DH's birthday.  We actually picked out date as a combination of our birthdays (his month, my day).  We celebrate both.  I never need an excuse to celebrate with cake

• Options
    H and I got married the day after his birthday...it isn't a big deal at all.  We will celebrate both and I'll get him a birthday present and an anniversary present. :)
  • Options
    Aww! My FI and I actually have the same birthday just a year apart, and while it's pretty awesome, I'd prefer not to get married on our birthday because I like having special occasions spread out more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards