Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

How to lengthen a non-religious ceremony.. Help!

My mom just got married by the justice of the peace this past weekend, and although her wedding was extremely beautiful, the ceremony lasted all of 5 minutes. My fiancé and I aren't having a religious ceremony either, and it's not going to be held in a courthouse so I am looking for ideas on how to make the ceremony last a little longer.. not too long- maybe 20 minutes. I mean, this is the part of the day that is most meaningful for us so I was kind of hoping to not have it be over and done with in 5 minutes. I'm looking for any ideas or suggestions!

Thank you!

Re: How to lengthen a non-religious ceremony.. Help!

• H and I did not have a religious ceremony and ours lasted about 15-20 minutes.

We had a friend officiate the ceremony and he gave a nice opening speech which was extremely beautiful and meaningful.  He did include one prayer which was a nice touch and then we said our vows and exchanged rings.  He said a few more things and then pronounced us married.

I think with JOP weddings, they tend to be in, out and done while non-JOP weddings take a bit longer.  It really all depends on your officiant and what you want.

• You can hire a non-religious officiant or celebrant who can help you plan a nice ceremony. A lot of secular ceremonies feature readings that are meaningful to the couple or speeches about love or marriage or whatever.
  • You can also add a Unity Candle or Sand ceremony or something similar.
  • A few things people do that take up time: meaningful reading, writing your own vows, having a friend or family member sing, a unity ceremony, the one year anniversary box (putting wine and love letters in). You'd be surprised how long saying vows and a nice opening speech can actually be.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • add in a reading or two, do a unity candle or some sort of unity ceremony.  Most guests appreciate the ceremony that does not drag on.  Ours was about 12 min including the processional.  It seemed much longer than that to my husband and I, but our guests appreciated how quick and to the point it was (it was still very nice and enjoyable--we did the unity candle, had a reading and our reverend did the Irish Hands Ceremony for us).  In 100 degree weather, quick was good!

Anniversary
  • If its in a courthouse you may not be able to make it longer - check with the officiant
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards