Chit Chat

Advice from anyone who has broken or injured their thumb...

So over the past few weeks my thumb has been hurting, gradually getting worse.  It hurts at the base of my thumb, at the joint close to my wrist.  I can't twist open any jars, and it even hurts to grasp anything with that hand.  But the weird thing is that it isn't swollen or bruised in any way.  I was thinking maybe I should go get an xray, but since there is no swelling or bruising I'm just not sure if I should waste my time.  I have never broken or sprained any part of my body before (yes i am lucky) so Im not sure if Im making a bigger deal about this than I should.  

Any advise would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Married April 27th 2012

Re: Advice from anyone who has broken or injured their thumb...

• I've toasted my thumb and fingers plenty of times, often with no swelling or bruising.  Ice and rest it as best you can, which I know if hard.  They get better eventually. 

• Thanks!
    Married April 27th 2012
  • Yep, what PP said. I have broken numerous body parts... Mainly toes and fingers. Trust me, you know when they're broken. They swell up hideously and also bruise bad. And as time past, they actually bruise more.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I had jammed my thumb stupidly on the dryer door.  Went about my business for the rest of the day/night.  Yea it hurt but jamming your finger usually does.  I was driving home that night and used the hand with the jammed thumb to make a turn.  When I gripped the wheel I saw stars.  I went home to sleep it off.  I finally couldn't take the pain (was also pretty swollen) anymore so I went to the ER.  Turns out I broke the thumb at the base and created a "bone island".  I was in a lot of pain in the lower thumb and wrist area.

I guess when I jammed it it might have broke but then using it to drive I broke a piece of the bone off and that's what caused a majority of the pain.  I opted for a soft cast because it was summer time. But I was in it for 10 weeks.

If you have insurance and it won't cost you a fortune for xrays I'd go and have it looked at.  Better to take care of it now rather then wait and do more damage.  Especially if it's your dominate hand.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yep, what PP said. I have broken numerous body parts... Mainly toes and fingers. Trust me, you know when they're broken. They swell up hideously and also bruise bad. And as time past, they actually bruise more.

This, oh ouch this.

My foot turned black/purple in the days/weeks after I broke it. Nasty business.

As for the thumb...any potential for arthritis? Might be worth a check at your GP and maybe get a referral to a physical therapist...

• Do you remember actually doing anything to it, or is this just pain from out of nowhere? Either way, since it's been getting worse over the course of a few weeks, I think this is something you should be seeing a doctor for.  Just a jammed thumb tends to feel better in a few days, not get worse.  Even a sprain doesn't tend to hurt more over the course of weeks.  Go get it checked out.
  • Anytime I have broken a bone I have had minimal swelling and little to no bruising. . . . I have broken my nose a few times, and never gotten black eyes.

OP if it causing you pain, and has been for awhile now. . . . it certainly wouldn't hurt to get it xrayed to make sure everything is ok.

• I second the rec's for an x-ray.  I've broken fingers several times and twice had to have them re-broken to be set because I thought it wasn't broken.  Also, it's possible you might have chipped a bone.  I can't remember what it was called, but my mother chipped the bone at the base of her thumb where the tendons attach, and she ended up needing reconstructive surgery to reattach the tendons.

It's possible that it's just nothing, maybe tendonitis or strains, but it never hurts to be careful! GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards