Favors

Homemade chocolate vs. company chocolate

I had thought of using a local chocolate business to make molded roses and having them wrapped in peach foil (our wedding flower and color). I am having about 200 guests, so I was going to order 400 chocolates (1 1/2'' by 1 1/2'' in size). I got the quote today and it is 500$! Which to me is a little more than expected. My MOH suggested just doing generic candy (kisses, Hershey miniatures, Reese's, etc) and having them personalized. What are your thoughts? Please be honest!!

Re: Homemade chocolate vs. company chocolate

• I personally cannot justify spending 500 dollars on chocolates. I think you could get your favors a lot cheaper, and have them personalized with your colors, by going the generic route. I know you can order m&m's in specific colors, but if you have the money and its really important to you, go for it. If you don't really want to spend that much, (which I would not for favors) take your MOH's advice.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

Can you go somewhere in the middle?

I'd much rather have two to three higher end chocolates (Godiva, Lindor truffles, etc) than a tulle baggie filled to the brim with M&Ms or hershey kisses.

• itzMS said:

Can you go somewhere in the middle?

I'd much rather have two to three higher end chocolates (Godiva, Lindor truffles, etc) than a tulle baggie filled to the brim with M&Ms or hershey kisses.

I agree with this. I'd say buy a couple nicer brands of chocolate (look at costco or Sams for them in bulk) and wrap them nicely. And personlization is cute, but I personally think it isn't worth the money. No one cares - they just want to eat yummy chocolate.
  • kimczys said:
    I had thought of using a local chocolate business to make molded roses and having them wrapped in peach foil (our wedding flower and color). I am having about 200 guests, so I was going to order 400 chocolates (1 1/2'' by 1 1/2'' in size). I got the quote today and it is 500$! Which to me is a little more than expected. My MOH suggested just doing generic candy (kisses, Hershey miniatures, Reese's, etc) and having them personalized. What are your thoughts? Please be honest!!
    That's about $1.25 each. Can you do one per person instead of two? I don't think everyone needs 2 necessarily. Also can you order closer to your wedding date when RSVPs roll in? Maybe you will only need 180?
  • I think people would appreciate more pieces of Hershey than a couple pieces of handmade chocolate.  
  • I'd just get different types of chocolates and candy. With that amount you could have a chocolate/ candy bar.
  • What about doing your own chocolates? A friend of ours that does chocolate let us pick out a chocolate mold (We went with a heart shaped sucker) and what flavor chocolate (milk, dark or white) and she made enough suckers  for all the guests, She put little cyclephane (sp?) bags over each sucker and tied the bag with ribbon in our wedding colors. They were a big hit, so much to the effect we almost didn't get one for ourselves at the end of the night. Oh yeah, I found stickers from Oriental Trading that said "Thank you for sharing our special day with us" that fit perfectly on the bag on the back part of the sucker.
  • For wedding gifts, my mom and I would personalize Hershey's Mini Chocolates - and wrap them, 2 each, in tuille and tie with ribbon.  Takes some time, but it's more affordable and everyone always loves them!!
  • We're doing homemade chocolates that we would normally do around christmas- peanut butter buckeyes, coconut balls, etc. Will be about $100 for 100 people if they get four pieces each. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JoanE2012 said:
    I think people would appreciate more pieces of Hershey than a couple pieces of handmade chocolate.  
    I personally think the opposite.

• Erikan73 said:
    What about doing your own chocolates? A friend of ours that does chocolate let us pick out a chocolate mold (We went with a heart shaped sucker) and what flavor chocolate (milk, dark or white) and she made enough suckers  for all the guests, She put little cyclephane (sp?) bags over each sucker and tied the bag with ribbon in our wedding colors. They were a big hit, so much to the effect we almost didn't get one for ourselves at the end of the night. Oh yeah, I found stickers from Oriental Trading that said "Thank you for sharing our special day with us" that fit perfectly on the bag on the back part of the sucker.
    Cellophane. 

• For wedding gifts, my mom and I would personalize Hershey's Mini Chocolates - and wrap them, 2 each, in tuille and tie with ribbon.  Takes some time, but it's more affordable and everyone always loves them!!

Hershey's minis...as in the fun size ones given out at Halloween?

Seems like a lot of unnecessary effort to wrap two fun size candies in tulle and ribbon.

And if I'm being totally honest...cheap, too.

• I agree with the nicer chocolate. I don't care what anyone says it does taste different and have a different feel. If you wanted to go the cheaper mini route I would incorporate it into a candy bar with boxes or bags everyone can make their own favor assortment
  • another sugggestion get some of those boxes and place 2 large chocolates inside you can do the hazelnut balls such as rocher or if you want something more unique baci made by purigina in italy is an an italian  hazelnut ball with a love note inside 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards