Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What would you do?

Hi everyone,
I haven't posted here in years (I was married in 2011) but I just received a wedding invitation that left me scratching my head.  A high school friend of mine sent an me an invitation to her wedding.  It will be a church wedding and there will not be any kind of reception.  No cake and punch....nothing.  It says so in big, bold letters on the bottom of the invite.  She has always been very religious- no drinking, swearing, dancing..etc, so she was never been a party person.  What confused me was that they have registered at three different stores.  Am I supposed to bring a gift into the church? Has this happened to any of you?  My mom said that she may set up a gift table at the church entrance ( her father is the pastor) but this whole thing seems very awkward to me.I'm not very close to her and we rarely speak anymore.  I'm just wondering what you guys would do.  Thanks.    
imageimage

Re: What would you do?

• Options
    I personally wouldn't attend. I definitely wouldn't give a gift.

• Options
    I would probably not go to the wedding unless she was a close friend.  Yes, the ceremony is the meaningful part but by not hosting SOMETHING afterwards it sounds very gift-grabby to me.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    I'd decline, but send her a nice card. . . I would not send a gift though, as you stated that you are no longer close.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

I am torn on this. Gifts are always optional. The wedding is for the couple and the reception is for the guests. For me, the type of reception shouldn't pay any part in what type of gift you give. IS she going to have a reception/ party later on or in a different state?

If you decide to go, I would send her a nice card.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'd decline.  Maybe I'd send a card. 
  • Options
    I've never heard of something like this before. I'd decline the invite and I wouldn't send a gift. I probably would send a card. 
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2013
    elio23 said:
    Hi everyone,
    I haven't posted here in years (I was married in 2011) but I just received a wedding invitation that left me scratching my head.  A high school friend of mine sent an me an invitation to her wedding.  It will be a church wedding and there will not be any kind of reception.  No cake and punch....nothing.  It says so in big, bold letters on the bottom of the invite.  She has always been very religious- no drinking, swearing, dancing..etc, so she was never been a party person.  What confused me was that they have registered at three different stores.  Am I supposed to bring a gift into the church? Has this happened to any of you?  My mom said that she may set up a gift table at the church entrance ( her father is the pastor) but this whole thing seems very awkward to me.I'm not very close to her and we rarely speak anymore.  I'm just wondering what you guys would do.  Thanks.    

I actually just posted about this on another board!

Sadly, this is becoming very trendy.

"It's an HONOR for you to come see me get married so bring me pressies but I won't host any reception for you because I don't want to and it's MY SPECIAL DAY!"

I would send them a nice card to their home. Attend the ceremony if you wish, but there's no way I'd buy a gift unless you're feeling terribly generous.

• Options
    That's odd. I agree with PPs: decline and send her a card. 
  • Options
    She's looking for gifts. Guess she missed where you're not supposed to be greedy. I would decline. 
  • Options
    I'd send a card but decline. If I'm invited to a wedding, I should be offered something as hospitality, IMO - doesn't have to be a 5-course meal, cake and punch are fine, but something.
  • Options
    Ditto PPs. I wouldn't attend and I wouldn't send a gift. I would send a card. 

• Options
    I would decline and prolly send a gift.
    Out of curiosity, how did you know she is registered at 3 stores? If she included that info with the invite I wouldn't send a gift.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    This is inconsiderate and horribly rude. Nothing says "come and celebrate me and bring me presents, but just so you know I won't be thanking you for any of that" like this invitation. 

Unless you're really close with this person, I would decline and send her a congratulations/happy wedding card. No gift. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Thanks everyone.  My husband just wanted to sent a card too.  I think we'll do that.  Sad to see this is becoming a trend and yes, their registration information was listed on the invite.  I appreciate all your responses! Good luck with all of your wedding planning.
    imageimage
  • Options
    That seems really odd to me that they aren't doing anything at all after the wedding. Is it possible some people got an invite that says no reception, but maybe family is being taken to dinner or something? Not that that's any less rude, but I don't understand absolutely nothing at all after the ceremony.
  • Options
    tammym1001- That could be, I may just not be a chosen one.  But the wedding is in the SMALL town where we grew up and word gets around quickly.  I'm guessing they'll probably go to her moms house afterwards.  Maybe immediate family will hang there.  The whole thing is very gift-gabby.  I declined the shower invite I was sent via facebook when I found out it was a pay-your-own meal type of thing.  Poor etiquette is very common there. Dollar dances are the norm and you won't be able to find a reception hall that will do either a hosted bar or allow you to do a dry wedding.  They're in it for the business and these places are cash bar only.  But I've never seen this before...I've always at least had cake and soda.
    imageimage
  • Options

that's bizarre.

send a card.....

• Options
    KatWAG said:

I am torn on this. Gifts are always optional. The wedding is for the couple and the reception is for the guests. For me, the type of reception shouldn't pay any part in what type of gift you give. IS she going to have a reception/ party later on or in a different state?

If you decide to go, I would send her a nice card.

I agree with the bolded, except that there is NO reception happening.  The bride even had the nerve to write it on the invitation!

OP-sounds like you're going with sending a card and not attending. 

That this is a trend makes me sad for humanity.  Now someone buy me a gift, because, damn it, I DESERVE one!
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options

I've been to a few weddings for "very religious" people who don't drink or party or anything like that, and even for those, they had the ceremony in the church and then cake and punch in the church all-purpose space for about an hour afterwards.  It wasn't fancy, but it was something.  If she can't even be bothered to thank her guests for attending by providing them with cake and punch, she shouldn't be expcting gifts (which i assume she is because you wouldn't know about her three registries unless it was in the invitation which is completely rude).

i would pass, unless she was a VERY close friend.  And honestly, if she was a VERY close friend, i'd offer to make her a cake that she could feed people after the ceremony as my gift!

• Options
    I might attend but I wouldn't bring her anything since it is just a ceremony.  If there was a shower I was invited to I would bring a gift, but it sounds like you aren't close anymore so that probably won't happen.
  • Options
    Wow.  If this is a trend, do you think there's any possible way of stopping it?  Maybe we could plaster etiquette pamphlets everywhere...
  • Options
    elio23 said:
    Hi everyone,

Personally I would not go and I would not send/give a gift...I find it rude when people invite someone to just a ceremony and then say well thanks and leave.  I would, however, send her a card the day after the wedding and congratulate her on her marraige and leave it at that.
  • Options
    Wow.  If this is a trend, do you think there's any possible way of stopping it?  Maybe we could plaster etiquette pamphlets everywhere...

It seems like what I've found (I've done research on Mr. Google), is that the couple is trying to save money, but still wants 200 people to come to the ceremony to bring them cards and gifts. So the couple tries to find any way to not host a reception.

Sadly, a lot of people feel that "It's an honor to be invited to the ceremony" and that guests "shouldn't expect a free meal".

Uh, yeah. Barf.

• Options
    Decline and send a card.

Is this a residual effect of family/friend/societal pressure? "But, I want to see you get married!" For years I said I wanted to elope but my closest friends and parents all said that, seriously. And perhaps the registries are because "well, people are going to buy us gifts anyway .."

Just a thought.

• Options
    Is it possible it is a "tiered" wedding wher you are invited to CHURCH but not reception? If THAT is the case, definitely no gift
  • Options
    If she put her registry in the invite, that's RUDE.

I'd decline.  She could've at least given you some cake to NOM.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards