Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Brinner?!?

So I've been going back and forth about what to serve for dinner. My fiancé gave me the idea about serving breakfast for dinner. Anyone ever done this or heard of anyone doing this? We're thinking l a waffle station, grits bar, pancakes, eggs, etc. what do you guys think?

Re: Brinner?!?

• I think it depends on the formality of your wedding - if this were the type of event where I would be showing up in a sundress and some sandals, then I would totally be down for it (I'm a huge fan of breakfast for dinner - DH would be in heaven). If I were in a cocktail dress and heels I would be very confused.

If you do go this route, I would still try to class it up a bit somehow. Maybe have some delicious add-ons for the waffle bar (fruit, chocolate chips, whipped cream, etc.), some gourmet cheeses to blend into your grits, poached eggs instead of the standard scramble, etc. Give it a fancy brunch feel.
  • Breakfast tends to be pretty carb-heavy and not that filling.  It also does not seem that formal to me.  Maybe you could have breakfast-themed foods for your cocktail hour.  If you want breakfast for dinner, I would have it more like "brunch" with heavier items (carving station, pasta station, etc.).  
  • For a wedding, I'd prefer dinner.  Or at least more "normal" dinner options.  Breakfast for dinner is one of those things I just have to be in the mood for.  Are you serving alcohol?  It would be kinda weird to be drinking a glass of white wine while eating pancakes.
  • We were going to do breakfast cocktails like different flavored mimosas and screwdrivers
  • I love breakfast food...but not at an evening wedding.

• It's different, but as long as you're serving enough for a full meal, I don't see a problem with it. 
  • I am with allispain on this one.  I absolutely love breakfast for dinner and I would be happy to eat it while wearing a ballgown, but I am most likely in the minority.  I think the formality of your event should be taken into account.  Also if you do go this route, maybe have more brunch type food so that you not only get the fun sweet breakfast food, but also more filling foods such as meats and potatoes and such.

• ElcaB said:
    It's different, but as long as you're serving enough for a full meal, I don't see a problem with it. 
    This.  But know your crowd - if there's a chance that they won't appreciate this, then I would reconsider.  That said, I'd dig it.  I love breakfast.  It would remind me of going out after a night of partying when I was younger and having an omelette.  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • How late in the day is wedding?  I have seen it done where people serve a more traditional meal and then added waffles to their dessert table?? If you are at all interested in an after party, I would save the breakfast for dinner for this part of the night and be sure to serve a full satisfying meal for the wedding guests (Especially if your reception is during meal time)

• I am with allispain on this one.  I absolutely love breakfast for dinner and I would be happy to eat it while wearing a ballgown, but I am most likely in the minority.  I think the formality of your event should be taken into account.  Also if you do go this route, maybe have more brunch type food so that you not only get the fun sweet breakfast food, but also more filling foods such as meats and potatoes and such.
    I agree with allispain and Maggie0829.  I love breakfast foods at any time of day, but for a more formal wedding, it would make sense to have more brunch- or even regular-dinner type foods for those who would prefer it.  Maybe have a mix?  

But I like the idea of a pancake/waffle station with fruits, whipped cream, ice cream, chocolate, etc. on top for dessert!
  • Do it!! I'm all for different meals at weddings. Not to say that meat and potatoes aren't delicious, but it gets old. People will definitely talk about it for a long time most likely! In a good way :)
  • Thanks guys!! I'm thinking of like chicken and waffles steak and eggs and maybe creeps I think I'm gonna go for it it's in the evening but it's our day right!
  • @Neet2002 I would do a combo of sweet and savory crepes.

• mmm... crepes... nom nom nom...

And on that note, I think it's time for me to have some dessert.

On a more serious note - you should some killer savory crepes with sauteed spinach, cheese, and chicken or ham. Sweet ones maybe with fruit and chocolate. Yum.
  • Neet2002 said:
    Thanks guys!! I'm thinking of like chicken and waffles steak and eggs and maybe creeps I think I'm gonna go for it it's in the evening but it's our day right!
    I love crepes.  Not so fond of creeps.  :P
  • Did someone say crepes!? 
  • definitely do some savory crepes at least like PP's have said I hate breakfast foods and I know many people that wouldn't want to eat waffles and eggs for dinner... but a lot of people will probably find it unique and fun :) just make sure you have some normal food to eat too
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards