Wedding Woes
Options

how would you feel if you were the recipient?

Dear Amy: When I was in my 20s, I was in a loving and devoted relationship with a woman for five years. After several bad episodes, she ended it.

Four decades later, I still value the quality of the affection we shared and the lessons that I learned. That relationship has shaped much of the way I choose to live today. While I truly have no lingering desire for her, I am deeply appreciative of her influence in my life. We have gone our separate and successfully married ways. I am a thousand miles away and completely "over her."

We have not communicated in all this time.

During our relationship, she made me a gift. It is a beautiful, finely knit sweater, which took her many hours of effort. I have kept it in excellent condition for all these years.

I have a desire to return it to her with no messages attached, so that she might enjoy it or give it away. I want no response for this gesture. For me, this is just to say an (unspoken) thanks for all that she gave me all those years ago.

Is this unwise? Could this look like an attempt at a rapprochement, or would this gesture anger her? Should I give the sweater to her brother and let him decide what to do with it? — Grateful for the Gifts

Re: how would you feel if you were the recipient?

• Options
    If I got the sweater with no note I'd think someone was fucking with me.  He should have written this letter to this woman instead of Amy.
  • Options
    So based on that last line, he's still in contact with this chick's brother. I have to wonder if he's really over her like he says.
  • Options
    I agree with PMeg. He's not over her. Otherwise, the sweater would not be such a big deal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    it was an equal percentage of all our hairs and pets' hairs, to make it equal. from all the previous wedding questions, i have noticed that this is very important.
  • Options
    It's been 40+ years.  WTF?

• Options
    So weird. For one, if I received something like that with no note I'd probably take it to mean a big FU. Second of all, why on Earth would she want a 40 year old sweater that she made for a stupid ex?

Dude needs to write her a letter. Or better yet, just leave her the f alone.

• Options
    okay, here's the thing:

amy was all, "well, you have to include a note" and not "wtf it's been 40 years."

Dear Grateful: If you received a package containing a (possibly forgotten) gift you had given to someone more than 40 years ago, with no message attached, you would probably go a little bit bonkers trying to attach meaning to it. Is it your intent to drive this woman crazy?

Your gesture could come off as weirdly mysterious, rapprochementlike or even hostile.

Why not be more straightforward, not to prompt an answer but to make your intention very clear? Like this:

"Dear Chelsea, I hope you remember this sweater. As you can see, I've taken good care of it. Perhaps you have someone in your life who likes vintage things to whom you could give this handmade gift from your (and my) youth. I've enclosed a photo of my family; that's my spouse, Diana, our kids and our dog, Tippy. I hope your life is as happy as mine is and wish you all the best."

• Options
    Yeah that was kind of my first thought was that he should include the note, then it was all WTF is this thing doing in his (or anyone's) possession still?!?
  • Options
    I'm a firm believer of pretty much letting go of stuff from a previous relationship, material things included.  The fact that he has this sweater is just weird to me. 
  • Options
    What he SHOULD do, is unravel this sweater to make one LONG string and then tie it to her mailbox and let her find her way to him.

Or just burn it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards