Wedding Woes

>>>> Dumb or Great Idea? - Group Wedding as Gift to Those in Financial Hardship?

edited September 2013 in Wedding Woes
Hello everyone.

This is my first post so if you guys will, please give me the benefit of the doubt and read the message in entirety before flagging this message or whatever it is that's done.

I'm a guy. I'm single I work in high tech. I am FARRRRRRRR removed from anything wedding related.

But my mom does work in heath & beauty service industry.

Now, she's close to her retirement and she's feeling the itch to give back to the community.

One of the things she's done in Korea (i'm from there) is that they would have group weddings that churches would throw for women who are financially struggling.

We're talking 8-12 couples along with their families and friends.

Of course the event would be in the thousands but it's a cost effective, but AWESOME way of giving back to the community for everyone  - the people that do hair, nails,... the people that rent out dresses/tuxes... the people that do.. wedding "STUFF".

The BEST part of course, is that these women, who might have never experienced such a joyous occasion, get to experience once in a life time event, shared by the entire community.

My mom and her friends in the beauty business  (totally 6 service providers, all in NYC area) are interested in doing something like that.. and I'm asking if 

1) Is this a great or dumb idea? (if it's dumb, state WHY)
2) The people at The Knot would be interested in partnering with us, provided that we can get the logistics worked out... mainly with communication, PR, connections (that we do not have)

BTW.. This is an AWESOME PR opportunity for everyone involved..  *HINT HINT* PR/MARKETING people at TheKnot

I'm thinking out lout and I wasn't sure who I was supposed to talk to.. so i am posting here.

Feel free to chime in the comments.

Re: >>>> Dumb or Great Idea? - Group Wedding as Gift to Those in Financial Hardship?

• Well, this is not the place to get in touch with TK's marketing staff, for starters.
  • taewoo said:

Hello everyone.

This is my first post so if you guys will, please give me the benefit of the doubt and read the message in entirety before flagging this message or whatever it is that's done.

I'm a guy. I'm single I work in high tech. I am FARRRRRRRR removed from anything wedding related.

But my mom does work in heath & beauty service industry.

Now, she's close to her retirement and she's feeling the itch to give back to the community.

One of the things she's done in Korea (i'm from there) is that they would have group weddings that churches would throw for women who are financially struggling.

We're talking 8-12 couples along with their families and friends.

Of course the event would be in the thousands but it's a cost effective, but AWESOME way of giving back to the community for everyone  - the people that do hair, nails,... the people that rent out dresses/tuxes... the people that do.. wedding "STUFF".

The BEST part of course, is that these women, who might have never experienced such a joyous occasion, get to experience once in a life time event, shared by the entire community.

My mom and her friends in the beauty business  (totally 6 service providers, all in NYC area) are interested in doing something like that.. and I'm asking if 

1) Is this a great or dumb idea? (if it's dumb, state WHY)
    2) The people at The Knot would be interested in partnering with us, provided that we can get the logistics worked out... mainly with communication, PR, connections (that we do not have)

BTW.. This is an AWESOME PR opportunity for everyone involved..  *HINT HINT* PR/MARKETING people at TheKnot

I'm thinking out lout and I wasn't sure who I was supposed to talk to.. so i am posting here.

Feel free to chime in the comments.
  • So your mom would pay for food alcohol and all that? I just feel like there are way better vehicles for her wealth- like homeless shelters, animal shelters, etc. 

he BEST part of course, is that these women, who might have never experienced such a joyous occasion, get to experience once in a life time event, shared by the entire community.

I mean- getting married is the joyous occasion. As long as you have enough for a wedding license, you can get married. I get trying to give them the "dream" wedding, but these are real people, not children. Even if they want a dream wedding, its not with 10 other couples, and its not with everyone knowing its because they can't afford something. 

I vote dumb in case you can't tell. 

• @knotjackie

can you please remove this vendor ad? thank you!
  • @taewoo

i am also korean. however, that sort of thing -- the group wedding, as it were -- is not socially accepted here. as you know, it is normally looked on as something for the unification church. 
  • You work in "high tech"?  What does that even mean?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards